PDA

View Full Version : Victor Petterson emigration around 1904

David Bawden
26-01-09, 01:39
I have an old photo of my grandfather soon after he arrived in America (May 14, 1905 on ship Saint Louis). I cannot identify where it was taken. Family history says it was taken in Colorado (or Wyoming) at a gold mine Victor was working with two other friends-perhaps the ones he notes below on the Ship's Manifest. The ship manifest notes at age 19 he is traveling with an Erik Åland, age 20, and probably another young man from Purmo, Frans Polomaki, age 24. Eric is first stopping in New York to visit Eric's brother (Hymalar? Mattson) 24 State Street, New York, NY. while Viktor is visiting friends "Nielsen and Lundbeck" that he apparently knew back in Purmo. Erik was in the US previously during 1892-1894 in Surcrease, WY (apparently with his parents).

I was wondering if someone had access to the detailed file at the Institute of Migration to see if it sheds some light on where he was going. He eventually ends up in Butte, Montana with a nickel in his pocket so he didn't strike it rich.

Karen Norwillo
26-01-09, 17:56
David,
Here is the manifest. It does look like one of the travellers was in US 1892-1894 in ?Sunrise, WY.
Do you have a DOB for Victor? It would help in tracing him through the WWI Draft Reg and census. I calculate year as 1885-6, but that's alot of Victor Petersons.
Karen

David Bawden
26-01-09, 20:19
Hi Karen,

I think the reference is to a Surcrease, WY but I'm not certain. Surcrease was the name of a mining company that operated in the west in numerous states. Victor was born, 18 Dec 1887 in Bäcksbacka Farm, Purmo, Vasa, Finland. Sometime before 1909 he migrates to join his sister in Butte and marries my grandmother, Hanna Nylund, a girl from his hometown in Purmo.

Karen Norwillo
26-01-09, 23:26
David,
Here are Victor and Hannah in Silver Bow, MT. Also found his WWI Draft Reg.
From the MT Death Index, Victor Peterson 56 born abt 1888, died 1 Jul 1944 in Silver Bow. Index # SB5771 MT Bureau of Vital Statistics. From same source, Hannah H Peterson 2 Jul 1974, birth abt 1888, widowed, Deer Lodge county, Index #3074 MT State Gen. Society.

Karen Norwillo
27-01-09, 16:05
David,
From the SSDI, Hannah H Peterson born 25 Mar 1888, died 2 Jul 1974 in Anaconda, Deer Lodge, MT.
From the 1920 and 1930 census, I see Linnea, the eldest child, was born in WI. 1930 Linnea was 15, Martha 14, Ruby 12, Elsie 10, Dan 6 and William 4, all born MT. I see by your Family Tree on Ancestry, that Martha married a Bawden. Your mother?
Karen

David Bawden
27-01-09, 17:39
Hi Karen,

Yes, Martha was my mother. As a baby researcher I'm always trying to learn. How did you access the draft registration information?

Another unknown is passenger records for immigrants. I'm familiar with how to access those that came from Finland via England to the east coast, but I've got several relatives that came in around Duluth, MI.

Do you or anyone else out there no how to access those records? I've thought of joining Ancestry.com but in speaking with one of their representatives they admitted that they do not have much information on Finland.

I'd like to hear about other's opinions on that before I join.

Karen Norwillo
27-01-09, 18:51
David,
I have been a member of Ancestry for several years. I found much info on our ancestors immigration. You have to be patient and allow for lousy spellings. Granted there's not much of records from Finland, but alot once they're here. I've been able to find families all over the US and Canada. I've also been able to contact others to share info found on Family Trees. You have to have a subscription, various levels, to access some of the info. If you ever need something, just ask and I'll try to find it for you on Ancestry. Sometimes what I find there gives me clues as to where to look in other sites. I've found the expense worth it.They're adding new data all the time.
Karen