PDA

View Full Version : Nikolai's Fortune - Solveig Torvig

Ayla
31-01-09, 22:41
I have been after a book about life in 19th Century Finland for some time now and I have just got hold of Nikolai's Fortune by Solveig Torvik.
I always wanted to know how life was like in Finland in the mid 19th century for my great grandparents and I was told that this book would give a good interpretation of it.
I have just started reading it but thought I would mention it in case anyone was after a similar book to read.

Ayla

flicka
02-02-09, 07:56
Hi Ayla
Thanks I have to read this. I'll order it soon from library.
I am Finn also and have been helped from people in this site.
Haven't read much on early life of the Finns not much out there to read on them. I from Minnesota and we have lots of Finns here.
Well thanks again and if you come across anymore about early life of the Finns let me know.
Lori(Flicka)

Ayla
02-02-09, 11:50
Hi Lori,

I'm on Chapter 3 now, it is so good, down to all the descriptions about food they ate etc and the farms and how they were organised, but also the sadness is coming through now, how life was difficult for the women in those days. I won't say any more now so I don't spoil it for you when you get it. ;)

I'm in London, Eng and we are having a big snow storm at the mo, loving it! We never get any snow in London, ever, all the schools are shut, airports closed, no transport etc. My kids are loving it.........me too, big kid at heart really! :D

Ayla

Karen Douglas
02-02-09, 14:27
I had the privilege of reviewing this book when it first came out for The Finnish American Reporter. Solveig Torvik was a reporter, editor and columnist at the Seattle Post-Intelligencer for 30 years. She also worked for two other newspapers, as well as United Press International. Through detailed historical research, Torvik does a magnificent job of weaving memoir and fiction together. It rates high on the list of books I've reviewed. Karen :)

June Pelo
02-02-09, 16:40
If you have access to Ilmar Talve's book "Finnish Folk Culture", it covers all aspects of life in Finland in those early days. I'll attach an excerpt from the book, which covers childbirth. In Delphi, there are many articles I have submitted which cover life in the old villages of Österbotten.

flicka
03-02-09, 06:23
Hi Lori,

I'm on Chapter 3 now, it is so good, down to all the descriptions about food they ate etc and the farms and how they were organised, but also the sadness is coming through now, how life was difficult for the women in those days. I won't say any more now so I don't spoil it for you when you get it. ;)

I'm in London, Eng and we are having a big snow storm at the mo, loving it! We never get any snow in London, ever, all the schools are shut, airports closed, no transport etc. My kids are loving it.........me too, big kid at heart really! :D

Ayla
Hi Ayla
It sounds like the kind of reading I enjoy. Well I'm from Northern Minnesota and its been cold here.This winter in Dec thru Jan we were in a deep freeze. I sure would like to know where this global warming is. We had anywhere from20 below zero to 45 below zero lots of days. Only getting to the highes of 2 below, but springs around the corner for us now with temps come into the 20's above zero the weekend And tell the kids snow as deep as 4 to 5 feet deep. So I had a lot of time to read several books about the scandinavian countries with these weather condtions. I'll let you know when I locate the book
Thanks
Lori

Karen Douglas
03-02-09, 13:03
Hi,

The book is available at Northwind Books at Finlandia University. I believe it retails for $24.95. The website willl give you information: http://northwindbooks.com/nw-books.aspx

They also carry a lot of other Scandinavian titles.

Karen

Ayla
03-02-09, 15:06
Thankyou for all your comments, and June, that piece is amazing, thank you so much for sharing. My mum will love to read that as well. It is so good to find out this information.
England is still in shock with this snow, they knew it was coming and yet, in London, there were no buses, trains or planes yesterday! Unbelievable for this place. My girls would love your snow Lori ;) , ours went up to our knees and they were so excited.

Going back to the book........I can't put it down.

Karen Norwillo
04-02-09, 16:26
"Nikolai's Fortune" is also available through Amazon.com for $19.46 new, if I remember correctly, don't hold me to the pennies, and cheaper used. I often order used books and have never been disappointed. Karen

flicka
04-02-09, 21:45
Hi Karen,Ayla,June
Thanks for info on the books. First I'm going to try library then if no luck the amazon site. I don;t care what shape there in just so I can read them.
Take care Lori(flicka)

flicka
05-02-09, 02:11
Karen and Ayla
I just order the Nikolai's Fortune from my local library. If its any good I might buy it off Amazon later.
Thanks gang. It will take about a week to come.
Lori

kivinen1
05-02-09, 07:02
For our friends in the Portland, OR / Vancouver, WA area, Powell's Books has it new: http://www.powells.com/s?header=Search+Form&kw=Nikolai%27s+Fortune

Ayla
11-02-09, 22:56
I am half way through it now, it is soooooooooo moving. I am a big softie anyway but parts of it have really made me emotional and think about life back then.
It has been so well written, I feel like I am with Kaisa and living everything with her!!!!

flicka
12-02-09, 06:09
What a emotional roller coaster this book is. After tracing by gggrandmothers life in Sweden and seeing how she lived with 2 illegimate children, I feel she also that the same treatments by people to endure. Life has not changed that much in 200years, we still have rape and still have irresponsible men who don't take care of their children and disrespect women
Lori