PDA

View Full Version : New Member Intro

juitto
09-02-09, 17:38
Hello all!
I'm Jeanne Uitto-Williams, a new member from Hayward, in NW Wisconsin. I'm surrounded by Finns up here from the UP of Michigan to Minnesota. My roots, however, connect me to Warren, Trumbull County, Ohio. My sister and I are once again investigating our heritage, and now with so many internet sources I believe our search will be quite successful!

The surnames in my family tree, besides Uitto, are Nortell and Lahti. They came from Isokyro and Vaasa, Finland. We were told that the name "Uitto" is not a common one, even in Finland, so I suspect that I may be related to some of the Uittos that live in my part of the country. This is something I will investigate.

My sister and I have many fond memories of listening to our dad and grandmother converse in Finnish. Our father spoke fluent Finnish but sadly, the language did not get passed on. We grew up in Illinois around our mother's family, so our annual trip to see the Ohio relatives was always a fun and exciting treat. As is this Forum!

I look forward to making many connections... and mining some genealogy gold!

Jeanne Uitto-Williams
Hayward, WI, USA

Kerstin
09-02-09, 21:39
Welcome to this forum Jeanette

Kerstin

Jaska Sarell
09-02-09, 23:42
It's not so uncommon in Vaasa and surrounding.
Phone book finds 363 entries in Ostrobothnia, 793 in the whole Finland - some are listed with several numbers, some are surely unlisted.
Population Register Center surname appearance search gives 742 persons. You may check details for yourself at this link (http://192.49.222.187/Nimipalvelu/nimipalvelu_sukunimihaku.asp?L=3)

You surely know that word uitto means log floating. Thus it may have been taken as surname in many parts of the country where that was an important job employing many men during the season.

Welcome and good luck!

:) Jaska

juitto
11-02-09, 07:41
Thank you, Jaska! Informative link. I followed it back to the source and found Suomi.fi, a most interesting website to learn about Finland today.
But back to the subject of surnames - In total, as present name, former name, or dead persons' name, there were 1,593 for Uitto. Ten times fewer than Lahti, another name in my lineage (15,622)... but certainly not as rare as the name Rinto, which I learned was my great-grandmother's maiden name. In total, there are less than 20!!! Nine as present name, less than five as former name, and six as dead persons' name! I find that amazing.
I looked up my grandmother's maiden name which is Nortell and found ZEROS all across the board. Her father was Juho Nortell, born in Isokyro in 1888. I have seen it spelled with one "L" and with two. I checked both spellings and neither produce any results. Any idea why?

Yes, my sister Ann (who just joined) and I were told the meaning of the name Uitto and have always been amused by it. We were told it meant the logs floating down the river after being cut down by the lumbermen. But to clarify - your definition, "log floating"... is that to mean "a floating log" or the act of floating a log? I guess my question is this: does the name refer to the log itself or is it a job description? I'm thinking of how the names like "Baker" and "Mason" and "Tanner", etc., came from their actual professions. Could it be that's how the name Uitto came to be? Or does it really mean a floating log?! :D

Jeanne Uitto-Williams

kivinen1
11-02-09, 09:08
Is this possibly the marriage of your Juho's parents?

Isokyrö - Storkyro - married
* Man's last name: NORTEL => Nortell
Announc. 6.7.1883 Married 10..1883 Village: Laurola by Farm -

Man
Drengen Johan Isakss. Nortell
Wife
Pigan Hedvig Jakobsdr Kallislahti Village Laurola by

It is the only entry in HisKi that I see.

Jaska Sarell
11-02-09, 11:27
Uitto means the job. I noticed a Wikipedia article Log driving (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Log_driving) with link to picture gallery Timber floating (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Timber_floating).
Nortell seems to have appeared in Isokyrö only, as Ilmari found. There's also another marriage record appearance on 27.10.1876, when the bride is a widow named Greta Jakobsdotter Nortell.
Nordell is a more common name (Swedish word nord = north). All names of this type should have double L, but incorrect spelling appears quite often. I should know :cool:

Probably original church documents of Isokyrö and neighboring parishes will appear soon at the FFHA (http://www.digiarkisto.org/sshy/index_eng.htm) site, since the association's microfilm scanner is now in Seinäjoki library.

Roger
11-02-09, 17:19
Hello! I have 18 Uitto names listed on my family tree, some from Isokyrö, Vaasa, Nurmo, and Ylistaro. If you would list the names of your relations, I'll let you know if I have them. I have some Lahti names too, but, they came from Alahärmä, and Kauhava, both are close to Isokyrö, but may be from a different family. I do have a Matti William Lahti who was born in 1888, came to America and married a woman whose last name was Hahl, are they familar to you?

juitto
12-02-09, 05:50
Yes, Ilmari, the people you found are my great-grandparents!

Can someone explain what "Drengen" and "Pigan" mean? Is there somewhere in this forum where I can find out what the words and abbreviations that appear in the HisKi files mean? I know about the daughter and son identification, both in Swedish and in Finnish. But other things appear that I don't understand.

I also found Greta Jakobsdotter Nortell. She might be a cousin of my great-grandfather. His full name was Johan Isaksson Nortell. I can't find anything beyond him.

Roger, I will move our discussion of possible common ancestors to the Genealogy section, OK? I'll fill in what I know of my Uitto background.

Thanks everyone for the help so far! I'm so glad I found this forum!

Jeanne Uitto-Williams

kivinen1
12-02-09, 07:25
Yes, Ilmari, the people you found are my great-grandparents!

Can someone explain what "Drengen" and "Pigan" mean? Is there somewhere in this forum where I can find out what the words and abbreviations that appear in the HisKi files mean? I know about the daughter and son identification, both in Swedish and in Finnish. But other things appear that I don't understand.

I also found Greta Jakobsdotter Nortell. She might be a cousin of my great-grandfather. His full name was Johan Isaksson Nortell. I can't find anything beyond him.

Roger, I will move our discussion of possible common ancestors to the Genealogy section, OK? I'll fill in what I know of my Uitto background.

Thanks everyone for the help so far! I'm so glad I found this forum!

Jeanne Uitto-Williams
Jeanne,

Basically, it means "boy" and "girl"

Here is a nice link to a PDF to print or to keep as a bookmark:

http://immigrants.byu.edu/Downloads/Scandinavian_Extraction_Guide/Scandinavian_Extraction_Guide-Chapter_4.pdf

sune
12-02-09, 11:56
Dreng means farmhand, and piga means maid. In Danish they mean boy and girl.

Sune

juitto
13-02-09, 00:35
Ah, thank you Sune! Someone should write up a reference page for these words that are commonly found in records. It would be most helpful. ;)

Jaska Sarell
13-02-09, 01:36
This is a useful link:
http://www.saunalahti.fi/hirvela/indexuk.html

juitto
13-02-09, 04:25
Thank you Jaska! See? - I knew it was a good idea! :)

Ruokoja
28-01-11, 20:52
Hi juitto,

I'd be interested in the name Rinto. You wrote "but certainly not as rare as the name Rinto, which I learned was my great-grandmother's maiden name". Was she from Ohio? Kingsville or Ashtabula or so?

Ruokoja