PDA

View Full Version : surname list

juitto
25-02-09, 02:42
While researching names on Google I came across this website:
http://www.vilppula.com/surnames.htm#B
Of course I can't make heads or tails of it since I can't read Finnish, but there are a ton of surnames with dates of birth and death, and ancestor and descendant information as well. What is this website? It looks like it could be useful.

Jeanne Uitto-Williams

kivinen1
25-02-09, 06:09
Jeanne,

It actually is a "pretty good" list. There are several of my ancestors on it.

When you click on a name, the given names also come up.

When you click on a Full Name, You will see that it is in English.

If you need help with certain words, you can always try the Google Translator Tool.

http://translate.google.com/translate_t#

Finnish is an option. Not always the best tool, but it can certainly help in a pinch, and it is FREE.:D

On the surname list, there are several Uitto's... just can't remember which ones you had asked about in the past.

juitto
25-02-09, 08:50
I did see all the Uittos on the list but none looked familiar. My information on the Uitto branch of the family does not go back very far... there could very well be ancestors on the list but I'm lacking the information I need to make the connection.
I was able to translate some of the words to see that the names all had something to do with Ostrobothnia. There is a home page you can click on that I used the Google translate tool on, but it still wasn't clear to me just what the list of surnames is all about. Is this someone's genealogy research? What is "Vilppula"? A name? A place? I wasn't able to translate it.
I found another list with the same format but with different names. That's why I'm wondering if it's particular to a researcher or a genealogy group. It's amazing what Google comes up with!

Jeanne

Jaska Sarell
25-02-09, 12:15
That's a personal web site of a researcher, including surname Filppula/Vilppula and many others mainly from South Ostrobothnia.

:) Jaska

juitto
25-02-09, 18:23
That's what I suspected. It sure is packed with names and dates which would be of great help to many, provided the facts are accurate. What is the etiquette as far as using someone else's research uninvited? I think I saw an email address on the home page. Or maybe the author(s) of the list belongs to this forum?

Jeanne

Karen Douglas
26-02-09, 18:18
I would be interested in knowing more about the originators of this post, too. Does he/she/they subscribe to the Finlander Forum? I found some of my relatives listed, too. Karen

June Pelo
26-02-09, 18:35
I found a lot of my family names, too. I think if you link to Kaino, Torp, Wirkkala, Sursill, etc. you'll find some of your family names there. I didn't compare the data on the list with my database, so don't know how accurate it is.

Jaska Sarell
26-02-09, 19:09
The site's main page (http://www.vilppula.com/) doesn't tell the researcher's name. As far as I can guess, he's a FF member with 0 postings. Probably not reading the posts very actively either.

:) Jaska

Karen Douglas
26-02-09, 23:37
I have not checked the Caino-Torp book to compare data, yet, but hope to do so this weekend. However, in my case, I am sad to say this is more than "ancestral" genealogy. One of the relatives listed is my first cousin, who is in his 50s. Also listed is his wife and 30-year-old daughter. Karen :(

Lasse1951
27-02-09, 00:07
I have not checked the Caino-Torp book to compare data, yet, but hope to do so this weekend. However, in my case, I am sad to say this is more than "ancestral" genealogy. One of the relatives listed is my first cousin, who is in his 50s. Also listed is his wife and 30-year-old daughter. Karen :(

Hi all,

For the moment this is a problematic matter in Finland with the new privacy laws recently taking effect.

During the last year the Genealogical Society of Finland has created an etiquette on how to imply the law. This is however a bit complicated and tricky, it will certain take some time before all players in the field have adapted the content of the law.

My example by publishing only names in my graphical trees, is kind of my interpretion of the law, but I'm still not sure that I'm following the law as it should be. In the worst case tha law can be interpreted so that you can't publish anything younger than 100 years after the persons death. This interpretion would be dissasterous to all the familys or family associations that want to publish any familybook, who would buy the book if they're not included in it.

There is some kind of paragraph that says that you have to get the permission of the persons involved, but if there is a huge amount of persons it's concidered that you can't get hold of them all...

Also to remember is that if one publish the genealogy on the net, and the net-server is in Finland, the only law that applies to the publisher is the finnish law.

Just to let you all know, on my own family side I publish all the names only information, on the Sursill side I publish all info on all born before 1909, younger only names.

Knowing the task to keep this huge amount of data uptodate, I believe that Mr. J Vilppula works on getting his information to stand up against the present laws, but it may take a while.

I'm hoping that Jaska could comment this matter also, just so that we can get different views on this matter.

Lasse Holm

seele01
27-02-09, 00:41
Yeah, my mom probably has cousins in Finland, but due to the difficulty of obtaining birth and death information from after 1900, we probably wont ever know about them. Heck, we dont even have her grandfather (my grt grandfather)'s death certificate/record. I wonder how he died lol. Anyway, I wish there was a Finnish equivalent to the US's Social Security Death Index.

Thats a cool database. None of my family, but I definately am awed at the HUGE amount of information there.

kivinen1
27-02-09, 02:30
The maker of that list has been extraordinarily helpful with my paternal side. I was really stuck until that list showed up one day.

I noticed the name on a google search, and realized that several of the descendants from his family were living near to me. Then, it started making sense when I looked at the friends that my great-grandparents and grandparents had. Same name, location and "family", though not direct paternal family.

Karen Douglas
28-02-09, 21:45
Hi Lasse,

Thank you for your post and addressing the issue of the new privacy laws in Finland. I had not heard of this. As you may know, for many years genealogists have told us to refrain from publishing the names of living relatives. There are some good arguments that can be made for this decision. However, it appears now that there may be some good arguments to the contrary. It will be interesting to see how this law is eventually interpreted in Finland, and whether it will prompt genealogists in other countries to consider new guidelines, as well.

There is no question that the author of this website has done a masterful job in recording so many surnames! As a journalist, I would like to know what prompted him to begin the project, and how many years it took him to get this far. I am sure it would be an interesting story! :) Karen

Lasse1951
28-02-09, 23:07
Hi Lasse,

Thank you for your post and addressing the issue of the new privacy laws in Finland. I had not heard of this. As you may know, for many years genealogists have told us to refrain from publishing the names of living relatives. There are some good arguments that can be made for this decision. However, it appears now that there may be some good arguments to the contrary. It will be interesting to see how this law is eventually interpreted in Finland, and whether it will prompt genealogists in other countries to consider new guidelines, as well.

There is no question that the author of this website has done a masterful job in recording so many surnames! As a journalist, I would like to know what prompted him to begin the project, and how many years it took him to get this far. I am sure it would be an interesting story! :) Karen

Hi Karen,

A few years ago I was in contact with Mr. Vilppula, we have much the same interest in collecting our relatives, we both have much the same material, maybe a few different branches that does not connect us. Now I can't speak for him, but my interest is based on the fact that if we go back 2 or 3 decades the environment where our ancestors lived was a whole lot different, and also mostly the parents decided who can marry who. That's why I try to find out also the ancestral part of persons married into the family. There is some amazing discoverys is this, for example my son is more than ten times releated to him self. This comes from his mothers side from the south of ostrobothnia. Me my self have many paths into the Calamnius and the Sursill family.
One reason for me to follow every path is that I can see the network of relatives previously unknown to me, and also better understand certain choices made by my ancestors.
I don't know how long it took for Mr. Vilppula to get his data collected, but I surely can tell that my data is collected over a period from 1970 to present days. Real progress started in the middle of the 90's. I have got lots of friends all around the world, and I receive lots of data as gedcom files, a big help, it's impossible to dig every piece of data by your self, one need to get connected and collaborate with others.
Even with all my connections I can't resolve from where the Holms are orginating, because our main living places have been burned by both the russians and the danes more than a few times. I have a clear picture on what way we have come into Finland, but that's all.

Cheers,

Lasse

June Pelo
01-03-09, 02:04
My parents were related to each other 24 ways even though their parents came from different parishes in Finland, and I am related to them as a daughter but also as a cousin to both of them. My mother's father, my father's father and my father's mother all descended from the same ancestor.

Jina
11-03-09, 12:38
Too bad, I couldn't find any of the relatives I seached for on the list.

Roger
11-03-09, 17:42
Hello again,
There is another surname site that I use, and, perhaps you would like to look at it. The address is : http://koti.welho.com/lkivinie/2w/surname.htm
I'm wondering if it's the Forum member Ilmari Kivinens?

Lasse1951
11-03-09, 17:52
Hello again,
There is another surname site that I use, and, perhaps you would like to look at it. The address is : http://koti.welho.com/lkivinie/2w/surname.htm
I'm wondering if it's the Forum member Ilmari Kivinens?

Roger,

Click the link Back to main page, and you get your answer, it's not Ilmari's

Lasse

Roger
11-03-09, 18:03
Lasse, I'm sorry about that, just one of my frequent "senior moments"!