PDA

View Full Version : Surname-Alanen-Anderson

bonita420
01-03-09, 19:14
Hello,
Here I go again. I am trying to find information about Matt Anderson, he was born in about 1879 in Kivi Jarvi, Finland.{I think} He married Marie Finna. The name in Finland was Alanen but changed to Anderson when he came to the USA in 1905. Can anyone assist me with? He was my husband's grandfather.
Thanks in advance,
Bonita

christer
10-03-09, 20:04
Hi again Bonita
Seems to be a hard nut this Alanen. I did check Kivijärvi but no surname Alanen, the records end at 1899 so its of course possible that name changed after that. Also checked emigration institute for passport and passenger record but no luck.Could you check census 1910,1920 and 1930 for possible info about marriage year etc.How about naturalization record and death record?Maria Finna was no success eighter.

Regards Christer

bonita420
11-03-09, 02:32
Hi Christer,
He came here in 1905. I did find info on another Family Tree. I don't know if it is right. It has the parents of a Matt Anderson as Antti Anderson and Anna Hautimaki from Seinajoki-Lanni, Soumen Laani Finland. His wife was listed as Lydi Maria Ostlander.
Antti born 1841, Anna in 1843, Matt in 1879.
Maybe you could check out Seinijoki. Let me know what you find.
Thanks, Bonita

bonita420
12-03-09, 16:19
Hi Christer, it's me again,
I am finally making some headway on this Anderson stuff. I located the church cemetery records of where Matt Anderson is buried. His wife's name is Lytti, that must be the Finnish spelling of Lydia? I am waiting to get copies sent to me from the Shaw cemetery association. Then I should know more. Also I am waiting for an answer from the owner of the family tree that has Matt Anderson in it because he is listed as being buried in Shaw, MN and being married to Lydia Maria Ostlander, and his parenta being Antti Alanen and Anna Hautimaki as I stated in my previous post.
Bonita

kivinen1
13-03-09, 22:12
Hi Christer,
He came here in 1905. I did find info on another Family Tree. I don't know if it is right. It has the parents of a Matt Anderson as Antti Anderson and Anna Hautimaki from Seinajoki-Lanni, Soumen Laani Finland. His wife was listed as Lydi Maria Ostlander.
Antti born 1841, Anna in 1843, Matt in 1879.
Maybe you could check out Seinijoki. Let me know what you find.
Thanks, Bonita

There are 5 Alanen houses to search in the "National Land Survey of Finland".

http://kansalaisen.karttapaikka.fi/kartanhaku/paikannimihaku.html

Just put in Alanen in the "search word" option and Seinäjoki in "municipality".

Be sure to use the proper ä when you do your search. Just copy and paste mine if you can't reproduce your own.

An English language option is listed at the bottom of the page that the link brings you to.

This is a nice way to find lots of different farm names.

ALSO:

Forum member Merja has Alanen family. Perhaps you could send her a message and see if there are any connections.

I realize that it is a fairly common name, but one never knows without asking.

christer
13-03-09, 23:24
Hi Bonita
I have access to Seinäjoki churcrecord so let me know when you get that stuff and i will take a look in the record, should not be hard to find when we know where to search.
Christer