PDA

View Full Version : Buying Microfiche from the Mikkeli Regional Archives?

seele01
02-03-09, 16:23
The Finnish National Archives says that the Mikkeli Regional Archives is stopping microfiche copying on 30 June 2009. I guess that means I better start ordering! I do have a few questions, though.

How much do the individual microfiche cost? Can you order the microfiche in bulk? My entire Finnish line resides solely in Porvoo, so I figure I would just buy copies of all the Porvoo microfiche they have. Is that a reasonable thing to do, or would that annoy the people working there, concidering they intend on stopping their copying service?

Has anyone else here ordered fiche from the Mikkeli Regional Archives? Can I order them by email, or do I snail mail it? Can I write in English? Not to sound impatient, but what type of time frame could I expect to recieve the fiche here in America? Is there anything else I should know before ordering?

Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate the help everyone!

Jaska Sarell
02-03-09, 17:41
Price per microfiche is (EUR 1.64 + EUR 0.17 for envelopes) + 22% VAT.
Foreign orders need to be paid in advance. Postal and banking costs added.

List for both Porvoo city and rural parish extends over 1000 !
http://www.narc.fi/Arkistolaitos/mma/mluett/mklue.html
You can pick a few or buy the lot, if you like :eek:

As you need to contact them for the total price anyway, I'd suggest emailing to mikkeli*narc.fi for all the details. Surely they'll understand English.

Otherwise I've no experience of them.

:) Jaska

Merja
02-03-09, 22:20
Hi,
Before ordering, I would check up the website of Finlandīs Family History Association for church books online. They have quite a lot of the microfilms scanned already and available for free, also for Porvoo. http://www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/index_eng.htm
Merja

Kaj Granlund
03-03-09, 16:12
Jaska.
Do you know if they do answer any letters at all at Mikkeli. I've written some on behalf of the parish but got no answer, I've also been contacted from foreigners that have the same problem. I get the impression they know only Finnish.

Seele- you should know that if you order them they will be up to about the years of 1860 (that is somewhat the same that you can find on-line transcripted on www.genealogia.fi.) I think it might be a reasonable thing to buy them, but then you should know how far back the family was living in Porvoo

Jaska Sarell
03-03-09, 17:07
Kaj, I don't really know :confused: Just thought that they might have somebody under 50 years of age employed there.

seele01
04-03-09, 14:56
Thanks for the help, everybody! I didnt realize that the fiche were so expensive...especially with current exchange rates lol! I dont have the cash to buy all of them, so I think instead I will have to pick and choose. It also looks like they have the film past 1860, up to near 1900. My family goes back at least to 1700 in Porvoo, so I have a wide time frame of information to order.

The SSHY is a very great resource...and in NO way am I complaining, but they only have the Children's Communion Books from 1750-1830 or so. I really need to get my hands on the Adult Communion Books to fill some critical gaps in my research, and since the SSHY is a volunteer thing with limited resources, it could be a while before they update Porvoo.

I find it strange that they wouldn't have at least one person who would speak basic English...maybe if you tried emailing as opposed to regular mailing, you would get a responce, as regular mail would make them have to freehand write a responce, which technically is harder? Good luck!

Kaj Granlund
05-03-09, 21:06
Yes sometimes you need the communion books to fill in blanks and connections between people. I know that. And those just have to be filmed or scanned.

As I wrote to Mikkeli it was concerning the original fishes that we had sent from the parish to be archivied by them. So I think they should have been interested to answer that mail. I did write in Swedish because they have the agreement with the lutheran church that they are to give service in Swedish too.
After a long period I wrote in Finnish and had an answer in just some weeks. That's why I'm a bit suspicious about their language skills. But one thing they didn't answer then either and that was why they do not respond to Swedish or English mails ;)

June Pelo
05-03-09, 21:35
I can cite numerous instances of communication from my last visit to Finland. We were shopping in Sokos (a large department store) and my cousin spoke to a clerk in Swedish about our purchase. The clerk ignored us, so we then spoke to her in English and she ignored us. My cousin doesn't speak Finnish but he tried to say something, and the clerk then gave us her attention. The same thing happened in another large store - no one would answer us. Finland boasts of being a bi-lingual country, so why can't a clerk in a large store speak both Finnish and Swedish - or English? It left a bad impression with us and we said we would never shop at those stores again.

seele01
05-03-09, 23:54
I am sorry to hear that June. I really hope when I visit my grandfather's birthplace one day in Porvoo, Finland, that they dont treat me like that...How friggin' rude. I understand the language difference is an issue for tourism spots...but it should not become a proprietor's personal vendetta to make tourists feel bad about it. Geez.

Jaska Sarell
06-03-09, 01:04
June, you should have visited Stockmann's instead. Still in 1960's it was hard to get any attention, if one used Finnish there :rolleyes:
Anyway, times have changed everywhere and younger generation knows at least English much better than before (maybe Swedish even less than earlier?).

BTW. When my daughter several years ago worked part-time at Stockmann selling ladies' clothes, she had to study the special Swedish vocabulary in order to get the third language badge (and a few more cents per hour).

June Pelo
06-03-09, 01:33
We did shop at Stockmann's and had no problem there - they spoke English to us. So we bought a lot of stuff - and even had some shipped home.

Kaj Granlund
06-03-09, 16:57
June, that's every day life here. If they are polite saying they are sorry their language is too bod, you accept it.
But that ignorant attitude makes me leave the shop and usually never return there. In the newspaper today they wrote about a young man that had parked his car on the wrong side of the street in Helsinki. He phoned to ask where the car was but they told him that if he spoke Finnish, English or Estonian it was OK, but if he insisted on speaking Swedish they would hang up. Totally against the Finnish legislation.

And Jaska Stockmann isn't what it used to be when it comes to languages either. Last time I was there some looked very angry at me as I spoke in Swedish, not at all the attitude they had still some years ago.

The language issue is getting a bigger problem in this country all the time.

June Pelo
06-03-09, 17:45
Norden newspaper had an article in which your President Halonen urged Swedish-speakers to speak more Swedish. That seems to contradict what is going on there.