PDA

View Full Version : Johnsson

June Pelo
06-03-09, 21:20
I have a request for help finding information about Julia and Anna Johnsson as follows:

My grandmother Julia Sofia Dagmar Johnsson, born 28 Sep. 1859, Sweden, left on the steamer called Ariosto. It left from Gothenburg March 29, 1907 and went to Hull in England and from there the passengers took the train to Liverpool where they boarded an Atlantic steamer to continue the journey to America.

I have been in touch with the passenger office in Liverpool and they can find no record of anyone by that name on any passenger list leaving Liverpool for New York. I have information from the passport office that Julia purchased a ticket from Sweden to New York. Liverpool stated that the passenger listing may have been lost, they are not sure. Can anyone find a record of Julia's journey to New York?
I have a request for help finding information about Julia and Anna Johnsson as follows:

My grandmother Julia Sofia Dagmar Johnsson, born 28 Sep. 1859, Sweden, left on the steamer called Ariosto. It left from Gothenburg March 29, 1907 and went to Hull in England and from there the passengers took the train to Liverpool where they boarded an Atlantic steamer to continue the journey to America.

I have been in touch with the passenger office in Liverpool and they can find no record of anyone by that name on any passenger list leaving Liverpool for New York. I have information from the passport office that Julia purchased a ticket from Sweden to New York. Liverpool stated that the passenger listing may have been lost, they are not sure. Can anyone find a record of Julia's journey to New York? I've learned that Julia's name could also appear as Dagmar Jonsson - see my previous mail for rest of details.

I would also like to know the name of the ship that brought Anna Xenia Johnsson, born 18 Nov 1889, Sweden, to New York in 1914. Anna was Julia's sister.

Would appreciate any information or suggestions.

Thanks.

I would also like to know the name of the ship that brought Anna Xenia Johnsson, born 18 Nov 1889, Sweden, to New York in 1914. Anna was Julia's sister.

Would appreciate any information or suggestions.

Thanks.

Karen Norwillo
08-03-09, 15:54
June,
Are you sure about those birth years. There's 30 years difference between those sisters.

June Pelo
08-03-09, 16:50
I may have misread his request. They're related somehow but probably not sisters. He also indicated that the name in Sweden was Jönsson - and then became Johnsson in the US.

Karen Norwillo
09-03-09, 15:27
June,
I checked arrivals from those years under many possible spellings and no hits. Tried Johnsson, Johansson, Jönsson, Jansson and many variations of the first names. Nothing. Karen

June Pelo
09-03-09, 15:34
Thanks, Karen. I guess we'll have to give up on her. Ken found her leaving Sweden for England, but after that there's no indication of her leaving for the US although she did get here.

kivinen1
10-03-09, 00:50
Just looking about, there is a Julia Johnson with no additional information leaving from Cherbourg, France aboard The Kaiser Wilhelm II, arriving on June 5, 1907. There are other people on the manifest that are also coming from Sweden.

June, there are several Swedish women that match the above, most of the time, the lists actually give a home town or parish.

Can you provide the home town that they were from in Sweden?

For what it's worth, the 48 / 49 age is also coming up in common.

Another question, where in the USA did she "end up"?

June Pelo
10-03-09, 01:06
I sent the info. to Ken to see what he thinks. I'll let you know. Thanks for finding that.

Karen Norwillo
10-03-09, 15:40
June,
On Ellis Island and ANCESTRY, there are several Annas that might be her, but without knowing where in Sweden she came from or her father's name, it's impossible to tell. One Anna was from Skenninge, father Johan Johansson, going to Gladstone to a cousin Signe. Another was from Sefle, father Peter Johnson, going to Chicago.
Karen

June Pelo
10-03-09, 19:59
Ilmari and Karen,

This is what Ken received when he inquired about her in Sweden:

We have searched in the index to the passenger lists from the Swedish ports
1907-1908. The only one we could find was a woman by the name of Dagmar Jonsson 19 years old(instead of 21). She came from the Island Åland(belongs to Finland). She left from the port of Gothenburg March 29, 1907 and bought her ticket to New York. She left by herself. It does not give any information where Dagmar was born.

Karen Norwillo
10-03-09, 20:09
If that was the Julia Sofia Dagmar that he's searching for, her age is way off according to the 1859 birth he gave. She should be abt. 48 shouldn't she?

June Pelo
10-03-09, 20:38
I asked Ken again and he said:

Anna Xenia Johnsson came from Åland, which was then considered part of Finland or Russia, not sure which. She was traveling to New York and then on to New Jersey in 1914. Her fathers name was Matts Arvin Jansson (Johnsson).

Anna's sister, Julia Sofia Dagmar Johnsson (my grandmother) b. 18 Jan 1888 was from Åland also. She was traveling to New York and then on to New Jersey in 1907.

I've asked him to verify the birthdates. He had originally given 1859 for Anna and 1888 for Julia.

June Pelo
10-03-09, 20:51
Seems to be a breakdown in communcation. Ken said that Anna and Julia were sisters and Julia was born 1888 and Anna born 1889. Sorry for the confusion.

Karen Norwillo
10-03-09, 21:05
Well, that helped alot. I found her right away under Dagmar Jönsson. She's on line 12. Arrived 12 Apr 1907 on "Saxonia" Says from Saltvik, Åland, going to Jersey City, NJ. Age 19, single.

June Pelo
11-03-09, 00:02
Karen,

Thanks for that. I'll send it to Ken. He apologizes for not catching the mistaken date.