PDA

View Full Version : Peter Johansson-Backlund 29 Mar 1860, Sexjärvi, Purmo

David Bawden
11-03-09, 00:42
Peter is the son of Johan Pehrson, 12 Sep 1827 Härberge and Anna Mattsdr, 14 Apr 1824, Filpus. He also has an older brother named Johan born 11 Feb 1859. At some point both he and his brother left Finland for America. In America Peter changed his name to Backlund or some variation of that. Family history believes he settled in Escanabe, Delta County, Michigan, married and raised a family. Johan returned to Finland and bought 1/2 the family farm. Peter stayed. I have not been able to find any records yet of he or his brother in America. I've looked at passenger, census, graveyards. I'm not skilled enough yet to know how to access property or tax records in Finland on his brother.

Peter and Johan are cousins of Selma Petterson who in turn is the mother of Elizabeth Berg whom many of you knew at SFHS. I am continuing Elizabeth's efforts to trace our ancestry.

The only leads I have found were 1) a reference: "Intent for Citizenship at Escanabe" showing these two references.

Peter Backlund 25 Sep 1906 book 9 page 324
Petter Backlund 25 Oct 1888 book 5 page 44

And 2) a reference in the Escanabe Newspaper Notices: "Escanaba Morning Press" 1909-1919

Peter Backlund 8/22/09 Marriage page 1
Peter Backlund 11/24/1916 Death page 1
Backlund, Son-Peter 3/17/14 Birth page 6

I don't know if either of these could be my Peter and I do not know how to access these sources. Any help on this missing branch would be appreciated.

budjohnson
11-03-09, 01:24
David

The Peter Backlund married August 21, 1909 to Irene Holm has his father as Jonus Backlund and says he was born in Sweden in 1883. There is a church record for a Peter A. Johnson Backlund in the Ford River Swedish Ev. Luthern church that has a date of birth March 29, 1860 in Purmo. His wife is listed as Kajsa Lena Erickson (probably Eriksdotter) born Feb. 16, 1862 in Purmo. It also shows a son Anders Edward Backlund born April 19, 1891 in Purmo. I'm pretty sure they were neighbors of my great grandfathe Matts Johansson Finstrom (Kornjarvi). There is a marriage for a daughter of Peter Backlund on June 14, 1916 in Escanaba to a Roy W. Carlson. It has her born in 1895 in Ford River Michigan (Just outside of Escanaba).

Bud

budjohnson
11-03-09, 17:46
They are listed under both churches in Delta County under Chuck Maki's records in SFHS:
Swenson 221 = Delta Co, Ford River, Sw. Ev. Lutheran
Swenson 226 = Delta Co, Escanaba, Bethany Lutheran

Bud

David Bawden
12-03-09, 17:37
Most Helpful Bud,

Peter's middle name was Anders. I'll work on those leads. Can you tell me how you found the church record information? I'm always trying to learn how to research.

I went back to your reference of Chuck Maki's at FSHS and tried to find his data at TALKO but didn't find it. Where is it located?

David

budjohnson
12-03-09, 18:28
Hi David

Here is the link <http://sfhs.eget.net/wikilinks.html> Go to new articles in Delphi and pick Chuck Maki's Michigan material.
Also found in the Delta county web site that you mentioned, look at cemetary records. Specifically Lakeview cemetary. You will find the other Peter Backlund from Sweden who died November 23, 1916 and you will find your Peter A Backlund as Buckland born March 29, 1860 and died November 28, 1929. Also Lina (Erickson) Backlund born Feb 15, 1862 and died June 9, 1944. It appears that they are not buried together.

Bud

budjohnson
14-03-09, 15:32
Hi David

A little more information. I found in the 1900 census, entries for a Peter Bocklund born in March if 1860 Finland and a wife Katherine born in Feb. 1862. Census taker Charles W. Mallock probably did not speak Swedish, so he recorded what he thought they were telling him. Their son Edward is listed as born in Finland also, which matches the church record.
Peter is recorded as a log driver, probably for the Ford River lumber company. Unlike the church record which has the year of Immigration for Peter as 1890, this has him as immigrating to the U.S. in 1883, prior to his marriage in Finland to Kajsa Lena Eriksdotter on Sept. 7, 1890.
So the entry in Delta County "Intent for Citizenship at Escanaba"
Petter Backlund 25 Oct 1888 book 5 page 44 is probably the correct Peter.
In 1900 they had children:
Edward born in Finland
Selma born in Michigan in Aug. 1895
Severin born in Michigan in Oct. 1896
and twin Alma born in Michigan
Arthur born in Michigan in Feb. 1898
Signe or Signa born in Michigan 1899

Bud

David Bawden
14-03-09, 22:54
Thank you again Bud,

I've been working your leads and found Peter also in the 1910 Census under Bucklund. I'm assuming the preferred spelling of his name was on his grave and it was Buckland. I was pleased to find parents mentioned in the voter records. That gave me a few more pieces of information. Now I have his wife and all of his children and their spouses. Yeah!

Next I'm working on his brother Johan, born 11, Feb, 1859. He also came to America but returned to take over the family farm. I hope to find some of his descendants still in Finland.

budjohnson
15-03-09, 15:45
Hi David

Yes it appears that their children started using the Bucklund or Buckland spelling when they were married. I guess you already found these records. If you want the exact dates of birth for the children you could use this link for church records. <http://www.augustana.edu/swenson/> If you do check with them, ask for the "Swenson 226 = Delta Co, Escanaba, Bethany Lutheran" records. They are the most recent and the most complete.

Bud

budjohnson
14-04-09, 02:32
Peter is the son of Johan Pehrson, 12 Sep 1827 Härberge and Anna Mattsdr, 14 Apr 1824, Filpus. He also has an older brother named Johan born 11 Feb 1859. At some point both he and his brother left Finland for America. In America Peter changed his name to Backlund or some variation of that. Family history believes he settled in Escanabe, Delta County, Michigan, married and raised a family. Johan returned to Finland and bought 1/2 the family farm. Peter stayed. I have not been able to find any records yet of he or his brother in America. I've looked at passenger, census, graveyards. I'm not skilled enough yet to know how to access property or tax records in Finland on his brother.

Peter and Johan are cousins of Selma Petterson who in turn is the mother of Elizabeth Berg whom many of you knew at SFHS. I am continuing Elizabeth's efforts to trace our ancestry.

The only leads I have found were 1) a reference: "Intent for Citizenship at Escanabe" showing these two references.

Peter Backlund 25 Sep 1906 book 9 page 324
Petter Backlund 25 Oct 1888 book 5 page 44

And 2) a reference in the Escanabe Newspaper Notices: "Escanaba Morning Press" 1909-1919

Peter Backlund 8/22/09 Marriage page 1
Peter Backlund 11/24/1916 Death page 1
Backlund, Son-Peter 3/17/14 Birth page 6

I don't know if either of these could be my Peter and I do not know how to access these sources. Any help on this missing branch would be appreciated.

David
Did you notice that in the Delta County web site "Intent for Citizenship at Escanaba" on 25 Oct. 1888 there was also a John Backlund at the same time as Petter. I checked them out and the signitures look almost identical. Both records on the same day in Ford River.
Bud

David Bawden
14-04-09, 18:20
Fascinating. Was there any other information on this reference or only their signatures? How did you access this information? I appreciate your suggestions on how and where to locate information.

When I went to Butte, Montana's archives to do research I noticed the intent request also had additional information such as date and place of arrival, date of birth, physical description, etc. Did the Michigan records include this as well?

budjohnson
15-04-09, 02:21
David

I went up to Escanaba for Easter and got a copy from their records. It didn't really include a lot of information. It only has them Renounceing their allegiance to the Czar of Russia.

Bud

budjohnson
15-04-09, 20:57
David

I went up to Escanaba for Easter and got a copy from their records. It didn't really include a lot of information. It only has them Renounceing their allegiance to the Czar of Russia.

Bud

These two imiges are the upper and lower halves of the page. I tried to upload it all together, but it was too large. So I edited it into two halves. So if these two are you John and Peter and they were in Ford River in 1888, they may have gone back to Finland together and after Peter married he returned to Ford River. What do you think?

Bud

budjohnson
16-04-09, 02:21
Petter in the 1880 Census

http://digi.narc.fi/digi/fullpic.ka?kuid=633872&zoom=1&x=1&y=1&sx=400&sy=400

(http://digi.narc.fi/digi/fullpic.ka?kuid=633872&zoom=1&x=1&y=1&sx=400&sy=400)
These two imiges are the upper and lower halves of the page. I tried to upload it all together, but it was too large. So I edited it into two halves. So if these two are you John and Peter and they were in Ford River in 1888, they may have gone back to Finland together and after Peter married he returned to Ford River. What do you think?

Bud

Do you think that this is his marriage record?

http://hiski.genealogia.fi/hiski/1o64vx?en+0420+vihityt+1525

budjohnson
16-04-09, 19:44
David

Got the Images to upload.

Bud