PDA

View Full Version : Pensar - Pesonen

June Pelo
08-04-09, 18:25
Here is another request for help from Finland. It doesn't say which Mount Vernon - there's one in Wash. State and another in VA. Is this enough info?:

I wonder if you have any idea, how I could trace the descendats of K.J. Pensar's sister Johanna Sofia , who emigrated to the USA in 1909 together with her husband Jakob Daniel Pesonen. They settled down in Mount Vernon, and changed the name Pesonen to Johnson. In 1913 they got a son named Leo Mathias. This son became an engineer and married Christine Seaman in 1941. I know that they got a daughter called Cecilia Christina, who was born on March 3rd 1944. She would be a second cousin of mine. I have not been able to find her or possible children of hers, because I don't know any family names or recidences.

Karen Norwillo
08-04-09, 21:06
June,
Here's a start. I found the family's arrival 3 Nov 1909 on the Oscar II from Copenhagen under Pesonen. Jacob, Johanna and son Jacob, age 4. Going to Tacoma. Under Johnson, they are in North Mount Vernon, Skagit, WA in 1910-20-30. Jacob Edwin was the son born Finland, He died 24 Jan 1982 in Mt Vernon, WA, WA Death Index. Leo M Johnson, born 1913, died 19 July 1984 in Seattle. Jacob Sr was a farmer, Jacob the son was a barber. I found Leo's WWII Army enlistment in 1943. He was married. He had 3 years of college. I'll have to do the attachments in 2.

Karen Norwillo
08-04-09, 21:08
Here's the other census images. I'll look for more info. Karen

June Pelo
08-04-09, 21:17
That was quick, Karen. Thanks for that and I'll send it on the way ASAP.

Karen Norwillo
09-04-09, 16:33
Jacob Daniel Johnson filed Declaration of Intent 27 Dec 1909 and was Naturalized 17 May 1915 in Skagit County, WA. Vol 4, Doc 388 Nat. ID 18152. I wonder if there were two men with the same name. The first date is only one month after he arrived in 1909. The second would fall in line with the 5 year wait. Unless he was in the US before 1909 himself.
I only found one Christine Johnson in the Death Index in Seattle. I don't know if it's Leo's wife. Christine Johnson born abt 1921 and died 3 Aug 1994 in Seattle. No hits on Cecilia Christina. Without a married name, it would be very hard unless I can find a marriage for her under her maiden name.

June Pelo
09-04-09, 18:08
Thanks, Karen. I'll ask if any more information is available.

Karen Norwillo
11-04-09, 23:22
June,
I asked someone on RAOGK to do a lookup for the obituary of Leo Johnson. Since we have a date of death, hopefully it will give us the wife and daughter's info. I heard back from the person and he will do it right after Easter at no charge and will email it to me. I heard from Bill Wright about this enquiry, too. I guess we were both working for someone who had contacted him???
Karen

CateG
14-02-16, 15:51
I am also looking for a Leonard Johnson..I have Pesonen in my tree too so itīs possible could be the same person..? I have photos too..

CateG
14-02-16, 15:55
I have them in a book of mine!

June Pelo
14-02-16, 16:11
The original query was dated 7 years ago and I don't know who sent it... cleaned out my files and didn't save the data.

Karen Norwillo
14-02-16, 17:34
From Find-a-Grave, here is the headstone of Leo and Christina Johnson. Also I found a possible marriage of daughter Cecelia C Johnson and Harry E McTyre, Jr. on 11 June 1966 in Seattle. Bride 22 of Seattle and groom 21 of Washington DC. It took place at St Alphonsus RC Church in Seattle. Age fits. There is a listing for a Cecelia C McTyre in Seattle White Pages.