PDA

View Full Version : Need translation (Swedish to English) for this text about my Munck/Munk family

wsanman
28-04-09, 17:50
I received this document about my Munck/Munk family from a cousin in Finland. The text is in Swedish, and I'd appreciate it if someone had the time to translate it to English. The text is typed, and is dated 1949.

It references my Munck/Munk ancestors (and also my Klockars ancestors) in Höstves.

Thanks,

Wayne Sanman:confused:

Denise
29-04-09, 01:48
Hi Wayne,
Try this...http://translate.google.com/translate_t#
Just right click on your document and copy and paste it into this site. Things may be a bit lost in translation, but it works great for what I've had to translate. :)

Best Regards,
Denise

wsanman
29-04-09, 07:02
Thanks for the suggestion Denise. It's a pdf image of a document that was typed in 1949, so I can't just copy and paste. Oh well, I guess I could get typing all seven pages. It's heavy on the umlets in all varieties, so I'm not looking forward to this.:eek:

Any volunteers out there???? Pretty please, with sugar on top :)

RuneM
29-04-09, 14:39
Try this
http://www.101language.com/swedish.html
:D

Denise
29-04-09, 15:51
Hi Wayne,
Just sent your pdf file to a friend that is a computer geek to get his help. It's very exciting to have information on your ancestry and not be able to translate it or get help with the translation. :mad: I'll get back to you as soon as I hear from my friend.

Best Regards,
Denise

Denise
29-04-09, 16:50
Wayne,
This is the reply I received from my friend who is at work right now and not able to scan this.

"This is a scanned/faxed document -- it's a picture, probably a TIFF format. That being the case, you will need OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software -- basically the software that comes with the scanner -- to read it. To do that, you will need to save each page as a separate picture file, then run it through the OCR program. This is all providing the OCR software will decipher the foreign language. As I don't have a scanner, I don't have the OCR software to try to process it. Have fun!"

Do you have a scanner Wayne? I hope his reply may be of some help to you.

Best Regards,
Denise

Denise
29-04-09, 16:57
Hi Wayne,
Check to see if your scanner is equipped with this OCR software. Here is a site that appears to be FREE.

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/ocr.shtml

Wish I could help you more with this.

Best Regards,
Denise

wsanman
29-04-09, 16:58
Thanks Denise. It's appreciated. Meantime, I've managed to translate the title page:) but that was the easiest part.

It might be easier for me to actually learn Swedish ;)

Denise
29-04-09, 17:00
Sad that in America our kids are taught Spanish as a second language in school! :(

Denise :)

wsanman
29-04-09, 17:16
I'll try some of that OCR software too. Thanks so much. You always go the extra mile:)

wsanman
29-04-09, 17:24
Sad that in America our kids are taught Spanish as a second language in school! Yes, it is sad. Milwaukie Grammar School which I attended back in 1969-76 is now El Puente Bilingual School (http://elpuente.nclack.k12.or.us/) (spanish, of course).
El Puente's mission is to offer an enriched bilingual educational experience in which all students achieve high academic standards and celebrate cultural diversity:eek: .

Hasse
30-04-09, 09:30
Nobody seems to volunteer to translate the essence of the pdf file... Is there really nobody out there who can spare some of his/her time helping a fellow finlander?

The main genealogical tree information can be found in Talko but much of the verbal explanation need to get translated. However it would be easier if the information would be in text form and not as a picture - would be easier also for the person translating.

We'll see what can be done. If nobody else can find the time translating the pdf I must try use some hours of my weekend.

We seem to have a small problem here - and I shall initiate a discussion about that in another thread.

RuneM
30-04-09, 10:08
I tried with ABBYY FineReader witch can read pdf files direct but the problem is that the letters are so unclear so the result was not good.:(
Maybe the best way is to make a picture improvement first and sharpen the text for example in Photoshop.
However, there is no need to print the pages first and then scan, it is better to copy the 7 pictures (pages) from Adobe Reader and paste them in the picture program and then save as Tiff.

BoSundqvist
30-04-09, 16:15
Maybe this file is easier to copy, paste and translate ...

June Pelo
30-04-09, 17:21
Wayne,

I've been working on anothe project, but since your Munk document is rather short, I did a quick and dirty translation. Some dates were difficult to read so you better check them to make sure they're correct. When I got to the last table I saw Anders Andersson Österberg from Clemetsö. My mother's father's Warg ancestor Carl Carlsson Warg-Clemetsöhem moved to Clemetsö in 1777 and assumed a new name. I'll attach it here.

Denise
30-04-09, 17:34
Hi June,
Now that's what I call "going the extra mile" to help a fellow Finlander. :D I am grateful we have members such as you. Awesome job, and I applaud your effort.

Love,
Denise

wsanman
30-04-09, 23:00
Thank you so much, June!

What would we ever do without you? You have saved me once again.:D

Take care,

Wayne