PDA

View Full Version : Rondto

ahildrum
10-05-09, 11:08
I am helping an American friend trying to trace her roots in Findand. She believes that her Great Grandmother's parents were:

Kristian Sergej Rondto Born in Peraseinajoki, Finland March 17, 1864
Elina Rondto born in Alavo, Finland November 6, 1859.

As she found them written into her Grat Grandmother's bible.
There were also a probable son written in there.
Waino Nikolai Rondto born in Ashtabula, Ohio, April 3, 1899.
I did find this family in the 1920 census on Ancestry.com
They then lived in Fairbanks, St Louis, Minnesota.

Her Great Grandmothers name was Katarina born in Aluvus, Finland January 20, 1886. She died 1965 in Minnesota, and was married to a Nichola(Nick) Kylen, who according to the census was born 1876 in Finland as well.
The fact that the possible brother was born in Ohio is a bit odd as she believed that her grandmother emigrated after 1900 and that another sister of hers emigrated a bit later(She don't know her name).
I find her and her husband in the 1910 census in Ault, St Louis, Minnesota, his name Nick and hers Kathreen with 3 children.

It is the finnish side of these she is trying to find. I am well adversed in finding people in Norway and Sweden, but I am at a total loss when it comes to Finland.
I managed to find Alavo on the map, but not Peraseinajoki, but it might be a typing error of course.

Anne (Oslo, Norway)

Ritva Winter
10-05-09, 11:45
Kristian Sergejs parents were:
Bondesonen Thomas Thomasson och dess hustru Hedvig Jakobsdotter, Wiitasaari, Peräseinäjoki.

Source: www.genealogia.fi, Hiski, parish Peräseinäjoki/info about../Digiarkisto
Syntyneet=born, p 75

I think this is a useful source for you to use. Mail me directly and I will help you with instructions in Swedish - if necessary. As you can see the books are kept in Swedish, instructions though in Finnish.

Rgds
Ritva Winter

kivinen1
10-05-09, 22:14
HisKi is also in English.

http://hiski.genealogia.fi/hiski/1l1e9l?en+A00

Denise
11-05-09, 03:04
Hi Ritva,
Do you want to hear something funny? I spent hours this morning and a couple hours so far this evening looking through ALAVUS rippikirja records, page by page, looking for Elina, born 1859, only to double check on Hiski and find that Alavo is actually Kuortane!!! I thought there was a typo on the post with the name Alavo. :( I'll look tonight on Kuortane and see what I can find... I did find one of my ancestors, Albertina Talvitie listed in Alavus though, which surprised me! So all was not lost on my end. :D

Best Regards,
Denise

Karen Douglas
11-05-09, 04:01
Hi Denise,

I just read your post re: an Albertina Talvitie from Alavus. Are you speaking of the Albertina Talvitie born on 9 May 1842? And, if so, how are you related to her?

Karen Douglas
sisuday*comcast.net

Denise
11-05-09, 05:18
Hi Karen,
During my search through the records of Alavus, I found an Albertina Talvitie that I thought was more than likely mine. My Albertina was born 14.4.1852, but I do not have a birthplace for her. She died 6.5.1868 Kauhajoki, Päntäne village, Tarkka farm. Her mother's name was Brita Lena (Albertina) Juhontytär Talvitie b.11.4.1820 Teuva, Talvitie farm and her father is unknown. I assumed that the name is not a common one. Here are the two pages I found her on in Alavus, with no birthdate at all...

Best Regards,
Denise

Denise
11-05-09, 05:22
Hi,
Forgot to attach the records. :p

Denise

Denise
11-05-09, 05:30
Hi Karen,
Albertina Talvitie (my ggg aunt) was my great-great grandmother, Aurora Wilhelmiina Britantytär Talvitie, Hakala's sister. Do you need more info.?

Denise

Denise
11-05-09, 05:37
This is all I have Karen.

Brita Lena Johansdotter/Juhantytär b. 11 April 1820 in Teuva, Talvitie farm. She moved to Kauhajoki 20 November 1836 and worked as a maid in Seppänen farm, Hyyppä village. She had three out-of-wedlock children:
Matts (Matti) b. 28 November 1849 in Seppänen farm
Albertina (Brita Lena in some records) b. 14 April 1852
Aurora Wilhelmina b. 5 April 1859 in Hyyppä village, Kivelä croft of farm Piipari.(my great- great grandmother)
She lived with her children as a cottager in Kivelä up to the years 1858-1859.
In 1860 they were found in Kauhajoki kirkonkylä (church village) where they lived in the Heikkilä farm as cottagers until 1862. They moved to another location, possibly Päntäne village, where they lived until 1865. From 1865 until Brita Lena's death on
17 January 1883, she lived in Päntäne village, Tarkka farm as a cottager.
Daughter, Albertina (Brita Lena) died 6 May 1868 in Kauhajoki Päntäne village, Tarkka farm. Son, Matti moved to Sastamala (today called Karkku) 23 August 1869.
Daughter, Aurora Wilhelmina started working as a maid in Kauhajoki, Päntäne village Uuro farm in 1876. She is recorded to have moved to Isojoki 3 February 1877, but can be found in the records of Karijoki 1877.
Parents of Brita Lena Johansdotter/Juhantytär b. 11 April 1820, were Johan Mattsson (Juha Matinpoika) b. 16 Dec. 1789 in Hämeenkyro and Susanna Mattsdotter (Susanna Matintytär) Aystö, Talvitie b. 19 May 1796 in Teuva.
They had at least three children:
Maja Lisa Johansdotter (Maija Liisa Juhantytär) b. 1 December 1818 in Teuva, Talvitie farm
Brita Lena
Matts Johansson (Matti Juhanpoikä) b. 2 October 1822 in Teuva, Talvitie farm.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I did find this on LDS. :) Albertina was born in Kauhajoki, Vaasa. Forgot I had found this record on her.

ALBERTINA JOHANSDR Pedigree
Female
Event(s):
Birth: 14 APR 1852
Christening: 15 APR 1852 Kauhajoki, Vaasa, Finland
Parents:
Mother: BRITA LENA JOHANSDR

Karen Douglas
11-05-09, 15:20
Hi Denise,

Thanks so much for all the information! But, unfortunately, it doesn't look like we have a connection here - except in the name, occupation, and province.

My Albertiina was born 9 March 1842 - 10 years earlier than your Albertiina - in Alavus - Vaasa. (She died on 9 March 1929.) And she was a maid. Oh, yes. She also had a son named "Juho."

I have photographs of her so I was very excited when I saw your posting, thinking that maybe I would have something positive to share with you about one of your relatives. Alas, not this time.

Thanks, again, for your prompt response. And good luck in your search!

Warm regards,
Karen
P.S. By the way, I, too, assumed that this name was not a common one.

Denise
11-05-09, 16:59
Hi Anne,
I went through the rippikirja of Kuortane 1856-1862 and did not find an Elina, or any variation of the name, born in 1859. I know there must be a trick to finding someone easier than going page by page, like an index, but I have yet to find one for the rippikirja images. Can anyone help on this? I noticed at the end of this one for Kuortane, after 350 pages, it then starts with Littera A, Littera B, etc. with many names listed. Are these the farm workers, or children born out of wedlock? I need help to understand this. I'm sorry I didn't find Elina for you. Do you think she may have been born in 1869, and the 6 appears to be a 5? Just a thought.

Best Regards,
Denise

P.S. This evening I will go through the rippikirja for 1869 just in case there was a typo. I have yardwork to do today... :(

Denise
11-05-09, 17:04
Hi Karen,
I'm sorry that this is not my Albertina in Alavus...I didn't know that Talvitie was such a common name either until I looked up on Hiski farm names of Talvitie and last names of Talvitie for all the parishes...hundreds of them! :D

Best Regards,
Denise

ahildrum
11-05-09, 19:47
I would just like to thank you for the answers I have gotten. I'll try to look in
Hiski, but I tried finding Kristian. How are you able to find him when you just know his name and not his parents. His father obviously didn't use Rondto, and I am not able to find him. Guess I have to study the instructons a bit before I figure it out.

It is great that Finland is doing the same as Norway, putting the information on the web, free for everybody.

The problem of curse is that all the information my friend has is what was in the bible. I noticed however that the census in the USA had the same more or less age difference that was in the bible, that the mother was some years older. I guess that the Finns might have done the same as the Norwegian giving where they came from as a place close to where they were from, but not the exact place. Or mangled the names.

I guess the only way to try and find Katarina's birth would be to go to Finland and find the churchbooks in some archives there. That I will leave to my friend. :)

Anne

ahildrum
11-05-09, 19:49
Kivinen1.

Did you get my reply to you on the Norwegian?

Denise
11-05-09, 20:06
Hi Anne,
Here is the link to Kuortane records from SSHY http://www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/sivut/HisKi-digiarkisto.php?plid=250

I may not be researching this site properly, as I have a few questions, but what I do is go page by page looking at the names on each farm (top of each image) in the time frame I need, (unless you know which farm name they were living on and the year which makes it much easier) and look at the birthdates next to names. Eventually I have luck but it is a bit tedious. If Hiski's records don't include the dates you need on the parish, click on "more about this parish" and then digiarkisto to get to SSHY's site and see if they have records and images for the dates you need. I hope I haven't confused you more. :confused:

I'll look some more tonight for you.

Best Regards,
Denise

kivinen1
11-05-09, 22:23
Kivinen1.

Did you get my reply to you on the Norwegian?
Hello,

Yes, and I've sent you my e-mail address.

Thank you very much!:D

Karen Norwillo
11-05-09, 23:05
I found the birth record of Kristian Sergi on Digtal Archives in Peräseinäjoki. Attached is the image. I hope it's big enough to read clearly. Looks like father was Thomas Thomasson and mother looks like Hedvig Jakobsdotter. Maybe someone can read better than I. There is a Ranto farm in Wiitasaari, but I didn't find a Rondto. I, too, searched the FFHA for 1859 and 1869 and no Elina in Kuortane.

Denise
15-05-09, 15:50
Hi Anne,
This may be a longshot, but I found this birth record in ALAVUS on SSHY for an Ylli (female or male name?)
born November 22, 1859, christened November 25, 1859. The record is the first one on the top right side of the page. I don't know if this name can be construed as Elina. Does anyone familiar with this name tell us if it also means Elina in Finnish and is it a female's name? I'm thinking the Rondto name may have come into play if the family moved to another farm, thus taking on the name Rondto. I forgot to mention that I found it in Alavus Syntyneet 1855-1870 jpeg. 60.

Best Regards,
Denise :)

Denise
15-05-09, 16:03
Hi Anne,
In Alavus in 1869 there is a Wilhelmina (could it be Elina?) born on November 5, 1869, christened November 7, 1869 which I am attaching an image of. This is also from Alavus Syntyneet 1855-1870. Wilhelmina is the 5th child born on the left side of the page. Maybe I am confused that Alavo is Kuortane, but from looking at Hiski that is what it appears to be to me. So, now thinking Alavo, may be Alavus, I decided to double check this. Does anyone know if Alavo is considered to be Kuortane or Alavus?

Karen Norwillo
15-05-09, 22:50
Denise,
Alavo and Alavus are the same. Alavus, Finn and Alavo, Swedish.

Denise
16-05-09, 04:46
Hi Karen,
On Hiski it states that Alavo was the old name for Kourtane, and that is where my confusion lies. And this Elina Rondto being born in 1859 (read below paragraph) makes me wonder which parish should be searched for her birth.

Thank-you,

From Hiski:
Alavus

Became a village with a preaching house under the jurisdiction of Ilmajoki in 1673 and a chapel parish in 1701. During 1798 to 1835, Alavus was a chapel parish under Kuortane. Kuortane was made a chapel parish in 1835 and merged with the Alavus parish, which was made the mother parish called Kuortane. (In practice the name Alavus was, however, commonly used in all probability). Made a mother parish called Alavus in 1859 (in practice in 1875) when the Kuortane chapel parish again became a parish of its own. The Töysä village with a preaching house was established in 1798 and became a parish of its own in 1896.

Swedish name
Alavus
Old Names
ALAVO, KOURTANE

Neighbouring parishes
Peräseinäjoki, Töysä, Virrat, Kuortane, Nurmo

Villages in Finnish
Alavus, Rantatöysä, Sapsalampi, Sulkava, Sydänmaa

Villages in Swedish
Alavus, Rantatöysä, Sapsalampi, Sulkava, Sydänmaa

Denise
16-05-09, 06:49
Hi Anne,
Here is a possibility for your Elina.

Ähtäri - Etseri
Christened
Born / Christened 6.11.1859 8.11.1859
Village / Farm Salo
Father Tp Johan Eriksson
Mother Maria Johansd:r
Child Wilhelmina

Karen Norwillo
16-05-09, 17:29
1917, Waino Rondto is in Brimson, St Louis, MN for the WWI Draft Reg. Next of kin, Kristian Rondto, same place. In 1930, I found just him in a logging camp in Maple Hill Township, Cook, MN. He's 31, Ohio, single, laborer in lumber camp 12. Did not find parents in 1930. Didn't attach 1930 as it was just a list of the loggers and didn't tell anything new. Name spelled Rondeo on Ancestry.
If you Google Alavo, you get Alavo/Alavus, but they are neighbors to Kuortane, so maybe it was once Kuortane. Possibly find records in either place.

ahildrum
17-05-09, 02:17
It is hard to say. Wilhelmina could easily have been changed to Elina in the USA. I have seen a lot of changes of names among Norwegians who emigrated to the USA, so it wouldn't be surprising if the Finns did it as well. The Wilhelmina you found do have the same birthdate as the Elina mentioned, but it looks like she was botn another place. Do you know where that place is relative to Alavus(ALAVO, KOURTANE)?

I would like to thank you all for being so helpful. My cousin really appreciates it.

Anne

Denise
17-05-09, 03:21
Hi Anne,
Here is a map showing the borders between the parishes relevant to Alavus from Hiski.

Best Regards,
Denise