PDA

View Full Version : Johan Ludvig Runeberg's teaching career timeline?

seele01
24-05-09, 23:01
I found an article in a Minnesota newspaper detailing the life of my great grandfather, August Isaksson Bergstrom (August Stromberg in America), which mentions the fact he was a student under Johan Ludvig Runeberg in Porvoo (Borgå). I am trying to find out if this is true or false. Does anyone know the timeline of Runeberg's life between 1858 and 1863 (the time August would have studied under him). I will post the first part of the article here-

---
Interesting Experiences As Missionary in Dark Africa
As translated from memoirs of Reverand August Stromberg of Milaca

August Stromberg was born in Borgo Parish, Finland, July 5, 1842. His boyhood days were spent on the farm. He attended the parish school at Saxby untill ten years of age. He worked on the farm untill fourteen years old, and attended agricultural school for two years on the estate where his father lived. He then attened the University at Borgo, Finland, where he was a student under Johan Ludwig Runeberg. He graduated from the University of Borgo, being one of seven out of a class of seventeen to graduate. After graduation the seven classmates left for Africa.
We took passage on a German boat at Helsingfors, Finland, in the first part of September, 1863....
---

The facts about his early life are basically correct (though the agricultural school thing is probably embellished), there was no "University of Borgå" back then. He must have been talking about the Borgå Gymnasium, where Johan Ludvig Runeberg apparently taught. Does anyone know Runeberg's history of teaching at the Borgå Gymnasium?

I am trying to substantiate these apparent facts, and figure out if there is any truth behind it at all. August Isaksson Bergstrom became a loan counterfeiter in Borgå in 1883, and was forced to run away to America for a few years. Because of this, you can understand why I take information about this guy with a grain of salt. For all I know, this could all just be made up.

So did Johan Ludvig Runeberg teach between 1858 and 1863 at the Borgå Gymnasium? If so, is there a way to find a list of attendees/graduate of the Borgå Gymnasium? Thanks for the help!

seele01
24-05-09, 23:09
I found this book on genealogica.fi's library database...would it have information on the Gymnasium students? Problem is, it says I cannot interlibrary loan it...So how would I find out if August Isaksson Bergstrom is in there or not?
------
Nimeke: Borgå gymnasii matriklar 1809-1872
Kielet: Ruotsi
Pääsana: BORGÅ
Tekijät: [B.]
Julkaisutiedot: Borgå : [Lyceum i Borgå], 1913
Ulkoasu: 107 s.
Huomautus: Julkaisussa: Program utgifvet till årsförhöret vid Lyceum i Borgå den 31 maj 1913
Asiasanat: koulut; Porvoo; lyseot; lukio; matrikkelit; oppilaat; 1800-luku; oppikoulu; kymnaasit
Avainsanat: Borgå gymnasium; Lyceum i Borgå

Niteet
Hylly Ei lainattavissa
O2 PORVOO 1 kpl Kirjasto
------

Again, thanks for the help!

kivinen1
24-05-09, 23:39
Runeberg was the Latin Chair at Borgå Gymnasium.

Here is a little link with some time line: http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/runeberg.htm

June Pelo
25-05-09, 01:06
According to this he was a professor at Porvoo from 1837 onward.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan_Ludvig_Runeberg

Ritva Winter
25-05-09, 10:05
According to YLE News Jan 28, 2009, a new register of pupils 1641-2011 of the Borgå gymnasium is beeing put together by the former headmaster Folke Nyberg.

I suggest you write him a letter, address Borgå/Porvoo Finland will be sufficient

Kaarina
25-05-09, 17:02
I found an article in a Minnesota newspaper detailing the life of my great grandfather, August Isaksson Bergstrom (August Stromberg in America), which mentions the fact he was a student under Johan Ludvig Runeberg in Porvoo (Borgå). I am trying to find out if this is true or false. Does anyone know the timeline of Runeberg's life between 1858 and 1863 (the time August would have studied under him). I will post the first part of the article here-

---
Interesting Experiences As Missionary in Dark Africa
As translated from memoirs of Reverand August Stromberg of Milaca

August Stromberg was born in Borgo Parish, Finland, July 5, 1842. His boyhood days were spent on the farm. He attended the parish school at Saxby untill ten years of age. He worked on the farm untill fourteen years old, and attended agricultural school for two years on the estate where his father lived. He then attened the University at Borgo, Finland, where he was a student under Johan Ludwig Runeberg. He graduated from the University of Borgo, being one of seven out of a class of seventeen to graduate. After graduation the seven classmates left for Africa.
We took passage on a German boat at Helsingfors, Finland, in the first part of September, 1863....
---

The facts about his early life are basically correct (though the agricultural school thing is probably embellished), there was no "University of Borgå" back then. He must have been talking about the Borgå Gymnasium, where Johan Ludvig Runeberg apparently taught. Does anyone know Runeberg's history of teaching at the Borgå Gymnasium?

I am trying to substantiate these apparent facts, and figure out if there is any truth behind it at all. August Isaksson Bergstrom became a loan counterfeiter in Borgå in 1883, and was forced to run away to America for a few years. Because of this, you can understand why I take information about this guy with a grain of salt. For all I know, this could all just be made up.

So did Johan Ludvig Runeberg teach between 1858 and 1863 at the Borgå Gymnasium? If so, is there a way to find a list of attendees/graduate of the Borgå Gymnasium? Thanks for the help!

Is also related to his grandson Tom Robert William 1886-1984

http://matrikkeli.helsinki.fi/ylioppilasmatrikkeli/henkilo.php?id=13687

Kaarina

seele01
29-05-09, 19:49
Thank you everyone for the help, and I apologise for my late reply. Thanks to the links you all posted, it does indeed look like Runeberg was a teacher at the Porvoo Gymnasium in the time period the newspaper article states.

Ritva, I will definately write to Folke Nyberg. Do you or anyone else know if I can write to him in english? Or should I play it safe and (try) to write him in Finnish by using google translate and help from Finnish speakers online?

Also, this is a stupid question here, but how many U.S. stamps are needed to write someone from Virginia, U.S., to Porvoo, Finland? Two or three? Im 22, so I am from the email generation...beyond paying bills, I dont know much about stamps lol.

Thanks again, everyone!

June Pelo
29-05-09, 20:08
Rob,

Yes, write in English. Just about everyone can read English - and if they can't, they can easily find someone to do it for them.

Airmail to Finland now costs 98 cents for the first ounce.

seele01
29-05-09, 22:54
Thank you June!

RuneM
30-05-09, 14:42
According to http://www.peda.net/veraja/porvoo/borgagymnasium/matrikel is Follke Nyberg cooperating with Monica Johansson (monica.johansson*borga.fi) for the register.

I think you can email her instead of old fashioned mail.

Regards.

RuneM

seele01
03-06-09, 20:24
Thanks RuneM, I am emailing Mrs. Johansson right now. I am also emailing Stig-Björn Holmström from that website too.

Thanks again, everyone!