PDA

View Full Version : Time limit on Passports

Wes Hakanen
25-05-09, 05:15
I have been having trouble finding information concerning my uncle's emigration from Finland. I have the date his passport was approved but can not find when and how he departed Finland. I was wondering if there was a time limit between passport approval and departure? That might help me narrow the time, as I review data. My uncle is Mikko Hakanen, the passport was approved in
1903. any thoughts or information will be appreciated.

Denise
25-05-09, 06:42
Hi Wes,
You don't say where he was immigrating to, age, or birthdate, but here is a Mikko Hakanen passenger record from the Institute of Migration. Would this be him?

Best Regards,
Denise

Detailed passenger information

Last name Hakanen
First names Mikko
Age or age group 30
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Vintondale
State of destination PA
Country of destination USA
Price of ticket FIM 296
Ship from Finland Titania
Date of departure from Finland 25.11.1908
Ship from England Lusitania
Date of departure from England 05.12.1908
Ocean Line Cunard Line
Port of departure in England *
List and page 70/12
Remarks Seinäjoki!

Denise
25-05-09, 06:56
Hi Wes,
I believe this would be Mikko's passenger record. It appears to be a transcription error in the spelling. He is number 1 on the passenger record and it is two pages total.

Denise :)

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name: Mikko Hassanen
Arrival Date: 12 Dec 1908
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1878
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Finnish
Ship Name: Lusitania
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Nativity: Finland
Line: 1
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_1177
Birth Location: Finland
Birth Location Other: jalaijaroi
Page Number: 197

Denise
25-05-09, 16:14
Hi Wes,
On page 2 he states he had been in the US before, 1902 and what appears to be 1907. I'll keep looking. Also, his surname of Hakanen was incorrectly transcribed as well as his birth location of Jalasjärvi, on Ancestry.com.

Denise :)

Karen Norwillo
25-05-09, 16:48
Denise,
I think what it says he was in US before from 1902-1907 in ?ontondale, PA. Not sure about that place name.

Karen Norwillo
25-05-09, 17:48
I found that Vintondale is in Cambria county, part of Johnstown area, in PA. I found a Mike Hakanen in Nantyglo Borough, Cambria, PA in 1930 census and 1920 in Middlefield, OH. I think they're the same family. OH and PA borders are close. See what you think. By 1930, he was widowed . His daughter and two sons are with him. There was also a WWI Draft card for a Mikko Hakkinen in Gardner, MA. I don't know if this is him, but I'll attach. Without a DOB, it's hard to know. I'll go back and upload those census images for you.

Denise
25-05-09, 19:30
Hi Karen,
You must have better glasses than I do to read those dates!!! :D

Best Regards,
Denise

Karen Norwillo
25-05-09, 21:46
Here's those census images. I got locked out again. Also found deaths for Helen H Hakanen Sackl 28 Mar 1904 PA, died 2 Dec 1990 Kirtland, Lake, OH res: Fairview Park, Cuyahoga, OH, widowed, father:Hakanen
WWII Reg for Hakanen in Nanty Glo. son Irwin Hakanen in Nanty Glo.
OH Death Index Laine Hakanen 19 Oct 1920 in Cuyahoga county, OH. This must be Lena.
WWII Army Enlistment Roy M Hakanen born 1907 PA enlisted in Cleveland, Cuyahoga, OH 11 Apr 1942, single.
I hope this is the person you seek. You'll notice the DOB between the WWI and WWII differ. I guess they're not the same person. The Hakanen Denise found on the emigration would match the 1878 date at age 30.
Karen

Karen Norwillo
26-05-09, 03:27
Did he have brothers? There are 4 Hakanen men, all brothers, on the 2 pages preceeding Mike Hakanen in 1930. John 47, Harvey 45, Elmer 41 and Sam 42. All emigrated between 1903-1908.

Wes Hakanen
27-05-09, 01:59
Karen and Denise. Thank you for all the information. I think the misspelling is why I could not find any info on him in the Ellis Illand files. I am new to the Finland Forum and am having a hard time manuvering through it (not too well versed on computer stuff). Last time I worked on my genealogy fin-gin was not so far advanced. I'm sorry I provided so little info. Didn't expect such quick and thoro replies. You both found my Uncle Mike but I think it was his second trip from Finland. You found much more info than I have. The family all came to America and those others others were brothers including my grandfather. Karen, those folks in Ohio were Mike's children. Mike was born in Jalasjari, Finland March 4, 1878 and died in Johstown, PA Sept 30, 1967. I can not find info on how and when he got here. He got married in PA July 7, 1903. He and his wife returned to Finland in 1907 (not sure together or seperately), with three children, then returned (seperately) in 1908. His wife (Liama Marie) was pregnant with their fourth child on the trip back. I have tracked Mike pretty well except for his original trip to America. Thank you both for the info. On-line info is soooo much approved since I last was doing genealogy ( I hope to get hooked again) but my computer skills have not improved much. Thank you ! Wes H.

Wes Hakanen
27-05-09, 02:04
Karen and Denise, I forgot to ask, can I retrieve the thumb nail attachmets? If so, How? Thanks again! Wes

Wes Hakanen
27-05-09, 02:05
Karen and Denise. Thank you for all the information. I think the misspelling is why I could not find any info on him in the Ellis Illand files. I am new to the Finland Forum and am having a hard time manuvering through it (not too well versed on computer stuff). Last time I worked on my genealogy fin-gin was not so far advanced. I'm sorry I provided so little info. Didn't expect such quick and thoro replies. You both found my Uncle Mike but I think it was his second trip from Finland. You found much more info than I have. The family all came to America and those others others were brothers including my grandfather. Karen, those folks in Ohio were Mike's children. Mike was born in Jalasjari, Finland March 4, 1878 and died in Johstown, PA Sept 30, 1967. I can not find info on how and when he got here. He got married in PA July 7, 1903. He and his wife returned to Finland in 1907 (not sure together or seperately), with three children, then returned (seperately) in 1908. His wife (Liama Marie) was pregnant with their fourth child on the trip back. I have tracked Mike pretty well except for his original trip to America. Thank you both for the info. On-line info is soooo much approved since I last was doing genealogy ( I hope to get hooked again) but my computer skills have not improved much. Thank you ! Wes H.

Wes Hakanen
27-05-09, 02:08
Karen and Denise, How to I retrieve the thumb nails you attached to your replies? Thanks again, Wes

Karen Norwillo
27-05-09, 03:25
Wes,
With the census records, just right click on the image and select "save as " and send to wherever you save your stuff. I usually send to "my documents."

kivinen1
27-05-09, 07:50
Wes,
With the census records, just right click on the image and select "save as " and send to wherever you save your stuff. I usually send to "my documents."

Wes,

Just be sure to click on the image in the thread first, so it enlarges and then do the right click. Otherwise you get a blurry unreadable "photo".