PDA

View Full Version : Hej from Stockholm

sallys
03-06-09, 14:59
Hey - I found this Forum in my search for my grandmothers father born in Gamlakarleby (Kokkola) February 16 1878 (Petter Koskinen / also lastname: Kivelä /Ahlbäck). He emigrated to America or Canada (we don´t now for sure) between 1915-1920. Maybe he changed his name to Forsman? :confused:

He had two children when he left; Siri born 1906 and Margit born 1909. He was married to Maria Catharina Hallbäck, born 1865. She died in 1918 i tbc (tuberculosis). He wrote in letters home that he wanted the girls to move to him in America, but the letters were destroyed. Siri who became my grandmother gave birth to a daughter; Doris born 1932 (my mother).

In 1961 me and my parents emigrated to Sweden, Stockholm. I am now 52 years old and very interested in Petter Koskinens destiny and my question is: anyone who may know something about him in this Forum? I would be very interested in any clue in this matter.

With my best regards
sallys
:)

June Pelo
03-06-09, 17:49
I have Maria Catharina Hallbäck's family in my database. Maria's mother was from the Källström-Keldo family in Karleby. I calculate I would be about a 6th cousin to Maria, and one of my cousins is Maria's second cousin. I found some online data that said Maria's husband was Petter Antinp. Pirttikoski-Koskinen, b. 16 July 1878 in Vetil, d. in Africa. I searched Vetil birth records, but found no record of Petter so I don't know where he was born nor who his parents were. Petter and Maria married 1904 - don't know where - and had 2 daughters. One married Björklund and the other married Hassel. Maria Catharina was married twice - her first husband's name was Jafet Katainen and she had a daughter from that marriage.

Perhaps someone else knows more about where Petter was born.

kivinen1
03-06-09, 19:12
The age matches up, but this is a bit of quess:

name: Peter Koski
date of death: 30 Apr 1960
father name: Sam Halvoven
mother name: Ina
death place: Rural Sedro Woolley, Skagit, Washington
mother name gn: Ina
note death place: Northern State Hospital

Hasse Andtbacka
03-06-09, 20:27
Maria Catharina Hallbäck was my ggrandmother's sister, so sallys is my second cousin, once removed.
Hasse A

June Pelo
03-06-09, 22:01
I have found something about Petter Koskinen. His father was Anders Pehrsson Ahlbäck-Lokasaari, b. 3 Jun 1827, Perho, married to Marianna Mattsdotter Lokasaari, b. 18 May 1831, Vetil. The Lokasaari family is found in the Caino-Torp book. Looks like Ahlbäck/Albäck and his wife Malmström could be from Korsholm, but the necessary years are missing from HisKi. And since Hasse Andtbacka is related, he probably has more data than I have!! I have lots of data about the Hallbäck line from Karleby. It is part of the Friis and Härmälä families. I also know two people in the US who would be related to Lokasaari and to Ahlbäck if you want to contact them.

sallys
04-06-09, 15:09
Thank you for your reply to my letter regarding Petter Koskinen. I don´t think it´s the right thread anyway - Petters father did not emigrate, he died 1905 in Finland and his name was Anders Pehrsson Kivelä. But thank you anyway for your tip.
sallys

sallys
04-06-09, 15:53
I have Maria Catharina Hallbäck's family in my database. Maria's mother was from the Källström-Keldo family in Karleby. I calculate I would be about a 6th cousin to Maria, and one of my cousins is Maria's second cousin. I found some online data that said Maria's husband was Petter Antinp. Pirttikoski-Koskinen, b. 16 July 1878 in Vetil, d. in Africa. I searched Vetil birth records, but found no record of Petter so I don't know where he was born nor who his parents were. Petter and Maria married 1904 - don't know where - and had 2 daughters. One married Björklund and the other married Hassel. Maria Catharina was married twice - her first husband's name was Jafet Katainen and she had a daughter from that marriage.

Perhaps someone else knows more about where Petter was born.

Hi June!
Thank you for your interesting answer to my outgoing call for my missing grandmothers father P. Koskinen. So many answers right away. I´m very glad to here that we are related on Marias Catharina´s familytree. :)

I have been told and have heard a rumour that Petter emigrated to Africa, but there was no proof for that since the letters he sent home were destroyed and my grandmother didn´t speak about it. It´s also true that Maria Catharina was married to Jafet Katainen in her first marriage and had a daughter with him. She and here husband took care of Siri and Margit when Maria Catharina died in 1918. Petter had left Finland probably one or two years earlier.
The date of birth of Petter differ in some way: my information says February 16, but it could be wrong. I will send a e-mail to Perho parish and ask them about this.
June - my question is: if Petter did go to Africa, where to search for any passengerlists and boats for that destination during 1915-1920?

----------------------
sallys

June Pelo
04-06-09, 17:28
I don't know where you could find a listing of emigrants to Africa 1915-1920. But K-G Olin has written Afrikafeber and the book lists the names of every Ostrobothnian who went to South Africa:
http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=5820

Perhaps someone else knows if there is a website of passenger lists and boats.

Hasse
04-06-09, 21:22
You can see the different books by K-G Olin here (http://www.multi.fi/%7Eolimex/) and the book about emigrants to Africa here (http://www.multi.fi/%7Eolimex/html/Afrikafeber.html)

Most of the information is in Swedish - but you may send an email to K-G using the addresses on the pages if you want specific information in English

June Pelo
05-06-09, 19:29
I've put Sallys in contact with two relatives in the US, and hopefully they can dig up more info.