lmhaaken
15-06-09, 09:56
Hello!
We are searching information on this person:

Name at time of death: Maria Odelia Honkonen
Date of death: 11/5/1958 in Thomaston Maine
Date of Birth: 12/24/1874 in Finland
Her Maiden Name: Maria Odelia Niemi
Maria was the daughter of Erick Niemi and Mary Maki.

On family marriage certificates she has two different last names listed on them. The following are the last names and how they appear on her marriage certificates:

Maria's son, Elmer's, marriage certificate lists her last name as : Bohesneimil
Maria's marriage certificate to Oscar Honkonen shows the last name as: Bohisnanie

I do not know the year she came to the US or what port she sailed into. I also do not know what part of Finland she was born in. Maria's first husband was John Nestor Johnson who was born in Finland as well. I do not know if she was married when she came to the US or not. I do know the rumor in the family is that she came to the US alone when she was a teenager. Apparently John disappeared and never came back home, so she ended up marrying Oscar Honkonen on April 26, 1916 in St. George maine. He was the son of John Honkonen and Hannah Erickson. Oscar was also born in Finland on November 25, 1885 and he died in St. George maine on October 14, 1938.

Best regards,
Liv Marit Haakenstad

Denise
15-06-09, 16:03
Hi Liv,
I've searched the Institute of Migration and had no luck, but a thought has crossd my mind. Many times a name with a "B" or a "P" is pronounced the same in Finnish to someone in English. I did find a couple variations that were on the Institute of Migration such as Paksuniemi and Paksoniemi. On Hiski is surnames Pajumiemi, and as a village name in Antrea/S:t Andreae called Pöyryniemi.

Antrea - S:t Andreae - christened

* Birth place - village: PÖYR => Pöyrynniemi, Pöyrnjemi, Pöyryniemi, Pöyryniem:, Pöyrynjemi, Pöyrynj:, Pöyrynjem, Pöyrynjemi 1., Pöyryniemi N:o 1, Pöyryniemi 1., Pöyrynniemi N:o 1, Pöyrniemi n:o 1, Pöyryniemi No.1, Pöyryniemen kylä No.1, Pöyryniemi p.191, Pöyryn., Pöyryniemi n:o 2, Pöyrynniemi No1.
* Birth place - farm: PÖYR => Pöyrynjemi, Pöyrynj:, Pöyrnj:, Pöyryniemi, Pöyryn:, Pöyrynjem:, Pöyry, Pöyryniem:

On my great grandmother's marriage license she stated her last name as Mäki, and on her death record her husband stated that her maiden name was Sundna and it turned out to be neither one! :( I'm checking Ancestry.com but so far no luck on soundex for immigration records on her with the names you posted.
On the Institute of Migration I did find a passport for a Maria Niemi, born in 1874.

Detailed passport information
Last name Niemi
First names Maria
Other names *
Date of birth . .1874
Marital status *
Religion *
Occupation Taloll. tr
Home parish Ylistaro
Province VAA
Passport date 10.05.1899
Passport number 1349
Passport valid (year:month) 5:0
Destination Amerikka
Passport issued by VAA
Remarks *

and on the passenger records for Maria Niemi's going to Maine from the Institute of Migration are the following:

Detailed passenger information
Last name Niemi
First names Maria
Age or age group 18
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Virginia
State of destination MN
Country of destination USA
Price of ticket USD 63
Ship from Finland Astraea
Date of departure from Finland 10.03.1900
Ship from England *
Date of departure from England . .9999
Ocean Line Cunard Line
Port of departure in England *
List and page 10/48
Remarks *

Last name Niemi
First names Maria
Age or age group 17
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Boston
State of destination MA
Price of ticket FIM 216
Ship from Finland Arcturus
Date of departure from Finland 17.10.1906
Ship from England Caronia
Date of departure from England 23.10.1906
Ocean Line Cunard Line
List and page 61/6
Remarks *

Last name Niemi
First names Maria
Age or age group 30
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Boston
State of destination MA
Price of ticket FIM 192
Ship from Finland Urania
Date of departure from Finland 08.07.1911
Ship from England Campania
Date of departure from England 15.07.1911
Ocean Line Cunard Line
List and page 85/48
Remarks Mk Aarne Niemi. Kristiinankaupunki!

Last name Niemi
First names Maria
Age or age group 24
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Worcester
State of destination MA
Price of ticket FIM 145
Ship from Finland Titania
Date of departure from Finland 22.11.1911
Ship from England Franconia
Date of departure from England 28.11.1911
Ocean Line Cunard Line
List and page 90/8
Remarks Mk Laina ja Martta Niemi. Seinäjoki! Hinta!

Last name Niemi
First names Maria
Age or age group 23
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Quincy
State of destination MA
Price of ticket FIM 264
Date of departure from Finland 22.04.1914
Date of departure from England 28.04.1914
Ocean Line Cunard Line
List and page 97/30
Remarks *

Last name Niemi
First names Maria
Age or age group 24
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Fitchburg
State of destination MA
Price of ticket FIM 269
Date of departure from Finland 20.05.1914
Date of departure from England 26.05.1914
Ocean Line Cunard Line
List and page 97/34
Remarks Mk Matti Niemi.

Best Regards,
Denise :)

P.S. Sorry for those darn pink embarrassed smilie faces, they pop up when there's a colon and an "a" together....

Denise
15-06-09, 16:14
Hi,
Here is one Maria Niemi's passenger record but she is 4 years of age from Ancestry.com.

Denise :)

Karen Norwillo
15-06-09, 18:24
Here's your Johnson and Honkanen families in the various census records. Looks like Mary was a widow by 1910. Census says Mary emigrated in 1898. Children born MA and ME.

lmhaaken
16-06-09, 00:07
Thank you! I am sending this to the lady in US searching her family. The 1930-census was the same as she had send me!

Best regards,
Liv Marit Haakenstad

Karen Norwillo
16-06-09, 03:58
Found marriages for some of the Johnson children.
Fannie Johnson married Albert Einstedt or Enstedt 1 Jun 1928 in St George, Knox, ME. ME Death Index: Fannie E Enstedt 26 Aug 1905-20 Feb 1998 Augusta, Kennebec, ME. Albert Enstedt 30 Aug 1901-Aug 1959 ME
John Johnson married Dorothy Barter 3 Aug 1926 St George, ME.I found them on the 1930 census married 4 years, two children Albert 3 1/12 and Evelyn 6/12.
Curious, there is an August Johnson age 6 in 1920 and 17 in 1930 who wasn't on that 1910 census with Mary. Wonder where he came from?

Karen Norwillo
16-06-09, 05:26
Found on Family Tree Maker..Early Families of St George, ME
Niemi, Maria Odelia 24 Dec 1874 Finland, spouse Johnson, John Nestor. She died 5 Nov 1958.
Honkonen, Oskar 25 Nov 1885 Finland, spouse Niemi, Maria Odelia, he died 14 Oct 1938
Johnson, Edward 26 MAY 1902
JOHNSON ELMER ALBERT 26 jAN 1907, SPOUSE HASTINGS, MARTHA ELISBET. HE DIED 28 oCT 1994
JOHNSON, FANNIE ELIZABETH 26 AUG 1905, SPOUSE ENSTEDT, ALBERT. SHE DIED 20 Feb 1998
Johnson, John N 26 Feb 1903, spouse Barter, Dorothy Christine, married 3 Aug 1926, he died 5 Jul 1974
Johnson, Lillian Hilda 26 Jan 1907, spouse Nelson, Hilding, she died 3 Mar 1976
Johnson, August Adolph 25 Mar 1913, spouse Robinson, Joanna Lillias, he died 12 Oct 1994
Johnson Amos E abt 1901 Duxbury, MA spouse Perry, Ida Mae, he died aft Nov 1958
Sorry abt the CAPS. I wasn't going back to correct.

Karen Norwillo
16-06-09, 16:31
Hilding Gustaf Nelson 19 Jan 1893 in Helmstedt, Sweden-9 Sep 1988 in St George. I found a Passport application with his photo. Looks like he lived in McKeesport, PA before ME. I cropped the pages because Ancestry has the photos on the wrong passports. The photos are on the next persons info.
I found a Johan Nestor Johnson in Seattle on a Declaration of Intent for citizenship in 1913. There's also a Nestor Johnson in Quincy, MA in the 1900 census. Says born Jan 1872, US 1893, a stonecutter in quarries. Could be him???