PDA

View Full Version : Death Records Online for Michigan

Denise
24-06-09, 06:33
Thought everyone would like to know Michigan State Archives and Library has a new site they are currently working on for death records to the year 1920. They have about one million death records and about 600,000 have already been downloaded. Here is the link. Click on the DISCOVER section in the middle of the page.
http://seekingmichigan.org/

Denise :)

kivinen1
24-06-09, 18:42
Posting a reply here so I can find this later.

I wonder if they'll go back to the old days at some point?

Denise
24-06-09, 18:50
Hi,
Well they go back to 1897-1920, so at least it's a good start for finding death records of many ancestors that immigrated from Finland to Michigan. I forgot to add that after clicking on DISCOVER, click on ABOUT to access the search option where you can type in the name. You can also do an advanced search by first name, last name, year, county, etc. which helps narrow your search down.

Best Regards,
Denise

kivinen1
24-06-09, 18:52
Good,

I was fishing for info without clicking at the moment.

That is good that it goes back to the old days, I wasn't sure if it only went from today back to 1920.

Thanks for posting this link!

June Pelo
24-06-09, 22:12
Is there some easy method to get to a death record? No matter what I type, it always starts listing names in Alcona county - and I want Iosco. I've tried advance search but then it tells me there's no record for my grandmother in 1917, but it found my grandfather in 1906 in Iosco cty.

Denise
25-06-09, 00:39
Hi June,
Each time you start a new search, you have to fill in the county all over again with the person's name. What name are you searching for June? I'll try for you.

Best Regards,
Denise

Denise
25-06-09, 00:56
Hi June,
Are you searching for Mary Wargstrom? I just typed in Iosco for the county, and search (nothing else) and she was number 1...:confused:

Denise :)

Alice Finnerty
25-06-09, 04:50
HOORAY!
Denise this is wonderful news...I have found many relatives so far and more information than on a county level and much cheaper!...its got Wexford County on line at this site...Thank you for sharing this...and Thank them for me at a state level too! :) :) :)

Denise
25-06-09, 05:01
Hi Alice,
I was pretty excited about the death records online myself. It's much cheaper than going to the vital records in Michigan at $26.00 each. It would be nice to see birth records next online from the Archives and Library of Michigan. Keep your fingers crossed! :D

Best Regards,
Denise

June Pelo
25-06-09, 21:29
Denise,

I have tried many times to find Mary Wargstrom in Iosco County, and each time I get the message it doesn't find her. I've tried putting in just Iosco County, and even tried by using her death date 1917. If I put just her name I get about 10+ pages of names starting with Mary Wheeler. Yet I can find my grandfather Alexander who died in 1906 - no problem. Doesn't make sense.

Denise
25-06-09, 21:47
Hi June,
I emailed this record to you last night but here it is in case you didn't get my email. :)

http://seekingmichigan.org/u?/p129401coll7,121322

Best Regards,
Denise

June Pelo
25-06-09, 21:58
Denise,

It just came in - wonder where it's been all this time??? In the meantime, I decided to search all Iosco county and finally found her. The name is spelled correctly on the cert., but the person typing the index spelled it as Wargshrom and that's why I kept getting the message there was no record.

Thanks - appreciate your patience...

Denise
25-06-09, 22:07
Hi June,
Wonder why it took so long to get to your email? Anyway, I'm glad you finally have the record. :D

Best Regards,
Denise

seele01
29-06-09, 20:28
I wish there was a nationwide push to digitise birth, marriage, and death records. My favorite of all time is the Norwegian Digital Archives...that site freaking rocks!! Second to that is the Hiski/SSHY combo...especially when in the coming years SSHY digitises almost everything possible lol.

It seems painfully obvious to me that sites like ancestry.com will not ever digitise b/m/d records across the USA. The sporadic "records" they already have are "transcribed" by non-genealogists being paid $10/hour. No image of the records...just some guy's interpretation of the record. While the Hiski database is the same thing technically, it was created and is updated by the Genealogical Society of Finland, by Finnish/Swedish speaking/reading genealogists, which is something I can trust, you know? I still double check Hiski database b/m/d with the microfilm scans of the originals...but so far, I have NEVER found an error. Those Hiski people rock!

I know that West Virginia and Washington (state) have online digital archives. I can't get the links now (gotta goto work...), but google it and you should find it. And now Michigan does to? Thanks for the great news!

Later.

Denise
30-06-09, 18:17
Hi Rob,
I trust Hiski alot more than I do ancestry.com too! It seems if the site wants to charge for records at the tune of $300.00 yearly, they should at least hire transcriptionists that are familiar with the country of origin of records being put on the site. Thank you Hiski/SSHY and Hasse and the Finlander Forum! :D
I'm having a nightmare right now trying to work on my husband's ancestry from England! Familysearch has a bit of info. on the IGI records, but England didn't start keeping records of BMD's until 1 July 1837! Outrageous! and I am pulling my hair out because his names are Foster and Bell, and all John's and Mary's! There a a billion of them and only some census records to go by with ballpark birth years, no actual dates! :confused: No, I'm not having any fun yet! :mad:

Best Regards,
Denise

seele01
30-06-09, 18:36
1837?!? My god, I figured England would have them since the 1700s lol. Good luck with all the Johns and Marys, Denise! While I have no experience in English genealogical research, MANY do. I am sure that there are people who can steer you in the right direction, much in the same way the Finlander forum helps steer new Finnish genealogists in the right direction. Cross your fingers that the church records weren't bombed in the blitz, or burned in a random fire.

My grandmother once traced my "Joynes" line in Virginia to my 10grts (I think) grandfather, "John Joine" who at age 18 came over from England in 1635. I intend one day on trying to trace his roots farther back in England...though I dunno if it will be possible.

A fun fact - trace your English line back to 11th century, and you might find your ancestors name, livestock, taxes, and property in the first modern "census"-type thing, the "Domesday Book". The Domesday Book was commissioned by William the Conqueror in 1086. Friggin' cool.

Denise
30-06-09, 20:58
Hi Rob,
Funny!!! I have William the Conqueror in my mom's ancestral background- maybe I should just work forward from William to find my husband's family! :D
Oh, wishful thinking! I know now why William was also called "William the Bastard!" :rolleyes: I would probably have more luck finding the names of the livestock in England than his family! Oh, I better stop now before I offend someone, Like Ayla in England! I love you Ayla!

Best Regards,
Denise

Merryclerry
01-07-09, 14:47
Denise,
My mother was from England (I'm a Brit/Finn split), so I know of some resources. If you want, I can send you some privately. Like in Finland, it helps greatly to know the county the ancestors are from, and some are much better than others for pre-1840 records. Fortunately, most of my family was from Cornwall, which is probably the best place in England for this kind of research.

Mary

Denise
01-07-09, 15:41
Hi Mary,
The areas I need to search in are Kingmoor, Stanwix, and Kingstown. and they belonged to the Church of England... I did find an extracted marriage for them in Stanwix, Cumberland, England and supposedly familysearch (LDS) has MICROFICHE (my favorite thing to do) on them. So, I will see if my nearest LDS office (50 miles away) has it. Any insight would be welcome! And sorry if I offended the English! :D I'm just frustrated... I'll send you my email address by private message.

Thank-you,
Denise