PDA

View Full Version : Which date to use?

Karen Norwillo
02-07-09, 04:03
I have run into a problem as to which date of birth I should use. Rippikirja consistently gives one year, Hiski gives another and Syntyneet gives a third. In Kuusamo records on FFHA, Syntyneet gives DOB for Simon Jaakonpoika Tuutijärvi as 6.12.1810, Hiski has 8.12.1810 and all the Rippikirja in Salla from 1832-1859 say 1813. I have attached the birth record. I checked out the other years and no Simo(n) found in the birth records.

Denise
02-07-09, 05:21
Hi Karen,
The 6 appears to look like an 8 until you really look at it and realize that the date next to his birthdate is the christening date and it is 7.12. so I would go with the 6.12.1810 date. It appears to be a transcription error on Hiski. Maybe someone else has a better idea, but that is what I would do.
Best Regards,
Denise :)

Denise
02-07-09, 05:31
Hi Karen,
Gosh, you can't even go by his marriage record.(I just looked at Hiski) I thought that would help to make a clearer idea of the year/date but if born in 1810 he was 26 yrs. old, and if 1813 he would have been 23 yrs. old. Have you found a record of death for him yet?
Regards,
Denise

Karen Norwillo
02-07-09, 15:33
Denise,
His parents Jakob and Anna died in 1856 and 1862. This from the 1853-1859 Rippikirja in Salla. Their grandson, Simon's son, married my grandfather's sister, Anna Kaisa Sulasalmi, his second marriage. I did not find her date of death yet. Her last child was born in 1902. He died in 1933 in Kuolajärvi (Salla). I agree with the 6. If you look at other 8's on the page, they are clearly 8. Hiski must have misinterpreted as an 8. But then 7 is before 8. I think the church book is the way to go. I have not found the dates of death for Simon and Valborg as yet either. They were still alive at the end of 1880, the last Rippi on FFHA.Thanks, cuz. Karen

Karen Norwillo
02-07-09, 16:57
I found the date of death on Family Search LDS of Simo Tuutijärvi. He died 7 Apr 1892 in Kuolajärvi. Valborg died 12 Mar 1882 in Kuolajärvi.
I think I found the dates of birth in Kuusamo for Simo's parents and their wedding date.. 27 Dec 1769 Isaac Lämsä and Margeta Säckinen born Jacobus.
6 Jun 1778 Alakitka Olof Korva and Anna born Anna.
1 Dec 1805 Jak. Isaacsson Lämsä and Anna Olofsdotter Korva married in Kuusamo. Children found 17.6.1808 Anna Sophia, 8.12.1810 Simon and 30.8.1815 Joh. Henric. This matches names on Rippi in Salla.

Denise
02-07-09, 23:47
Hi Karen,
Someone told me to look for the "extracted records" from familysearch, not ones donated by individuals, if that helps any. I know that I don't trust ancestry.com for that reason with the family trees on it. I want to use actual sources if possible, like church books.

Best Regards,
Denise

Karen Norwillo
03-07-09, 02:46
I agree. The dates I found were from actual records. I found many family trees have errors. I've had to go back and correct info many times. If I find an error on Ancestry, I will try to contact the owner. I have submitted corrections on family to Ancestor's data many times. Usually it's a misinterpretation of names, spellings on census records. They always send me a thank you.

seele01
03-07-09, 13:50
Yeah, always take "transcribed" records with a grain of salt. Especially ancestry.com ones. The Hiski database is MUCH more reliable, because the Genealogical Society of Finland employes Swedish/Finnish reading genealogists with experience in reading old records to create the database. But even then, there is the occasional error due to the parishoner's bad handwritting, overlapping lines, crappy scan of the parish record, and whatnot.

I am about to go on vacation, so I can't help with the problem...hope you solve it! I have similar issues with b/m/d's being a year off...its really annoying.