PDA

View Full Version : Eklunds in Vasa

Diane Yanosik
04-07-09, 02:47
I have been researching my Grandmother, Agnes Ingrid Eklund's family from Vasa Finland. I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on how to go about searching for a living relative. I have tried unsuccessfully to find information on HisKi, so I figure my best chance of information would be from a family member. Henrik Mangs was kind enough to send me a bunch of information, and of all my Grandmother's siblings there are 2 that might have descendents living today in Finland. Einar Edvard Eklund; b. 1 Feb 1897 in Vasa and Albert Bruno Eklund; b. 6 Oct 1884. According to my uncle, one of Agnes' brothers died in the Finn/Russian war. This would have had to have been either Einar or Albert as her other brothers came to the US. I have a wedding photo labeled Frank & Edit Eklund, as well as a young man in military uniform with what looks like Holdger Eklund on the back, and another with the same young man with I'm guessing his parents. Judging from the age of these photos, they are of nephews of Agnes.
So, my question is where can I search for information on Einar and Albert - their marriages and children if any. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Diane

Diane Yanosik
04-07-09, 03:18
In looking online, I have found photos of headstones in both the old and new cemeteries in Vassa with the names on my photos - In the old cemetery, a Holger Werner Eklund b 10 Jan 1920,d.21 Dec 2001; and in the new cemetery Einar Eklund 1 Feb 1897 (matches) d. 2 May 1937, Hjördis Eklund (wife?) and Frank Eklund b. 4 July 1923 d. 26 May 1958. Franks birthdate leads me to believe the Holger in the old cemetery is probably the Holger I'm looking for.
So where can I go from here? Suggestions?
Thanks,
Diane

Hasse
04-07-09, 13:54
In looking online, I have found photos of headstones in both the old and new cemeteries in Vassa with the names on my photos - In the old cemetery, a Holger Werner Eklund b 10 Jan 1920,d.21 Dec 2001; and in the new cemetery Einar Eklund 1 Feb 1897 (matches) d. 2 May 1937, Hjördis Eklund (wife?) and Frank Eklund b. 4 July 1923 d. 26 May 1958. Franks birthdate leads me to believe the Holger in the old cemetery is probably the Holger I'm looking for.
So where can I go from here? Suggestions?
Thanks,
Diane

Perhaps it would be the best to contact the parish. The Frank Eklund you mention probably has alive children and maybe also wife Edit Elvira. In some information I have access to there are/were three children in this marriage, two boys and one girl. I'll send you this information as a PM-message since the information is about living persons.

My suggestion would be to contact for example the Vasa svenska församling (the Sweadish speakers congregation) or somebody that has access to phone books in the Vasa area.

Additionally I tried to contact three persons in Vasa - persons that might know these Eklunds.

Pastorskansliets adress och telefonnummer
Skolhusgatan 26 C, PB 78
65100 VASA
Tfn +358-6-326 13 09
Fax +358-6-326 13 99

Diane Yanosik
05-07-09, 04:13
Thank you Hasse for your help. I suspect that the Holger in my photos is the son of the other brother, Albert. I have a photo of him with I'm guessing his parents, and his father is not Einar. Einar was Agnes' favorite brother (my dad was named for him), and I have many photos of him.
I had emailed the parish about Agnes, but I'll send another now that I have more information. Perhaps they can find something for me.
Thank you again for your help.
Diane

Diane Yanosik
14-09-09, 15:44
I just want to thank everyone on this list for your help. I was able to email the church in Vasa (thanks Henrik) and have gotten a wealth of information on my Eklund family. I was also surprised to learn that another of my Grandmother's brothers came to the US, so now I have more searching to do here in the US. The Holger Eklund buried in Vasa's old cemetery is sadly not "my" Holger. But Einar, Hjördis and Frank buried in the new cemetery are mine. I was able to find out that Franks wife Edit Elvira remarried after Frank's death and moved to Sweden with their 3 children. I am waiting to hear back from them, as 2 of the children are still alive. At some point I will do more research back - I'm hoping perhaps one of the relatives I have contacted will be able to help me there.
Thanks to all who gave me names and suggestions on where to find answers.
Diane