PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery lists question.

seele01
06-07-09, 19:17
Please tell me if anything I am saying is incorrect...I am new to Finnish genealogy, and I might have read or heard something that is incorrect...if so, please correct me.

It seems (according to what I have been told) that most pre-1880 graves in Finland were wooden and have long since rotted away. And more recent stone and metal gravesites often got/get re-used? I also have heard that even though the graves got re-used, there was extensive recordkeeping of who occupied what grave at what time.

Is that true? If so...where can one find those records? While I doubt they are available online, but is there an index of Finland's cemeteries, maybe with contact information? I know that genealogica.fi has a good amount of gravestone pictures, but I cannot seem to find a good list of Finnish cemeteries, as they dont have any pictures or information from the cemeteries I need (I dont mean to critisize, genealogica.fi is a great resorce!).

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Kaarina
06-07-09, 20:41
Is that true? If so...where can one find those records? While I doubt they are available online, but is there an index of Finland's cemeteries, maybe with contact information? I know that genealogica.fi has a good amount of gravestone pictures, but I cannot seem to find a good list of Finnish cemeteries, as they dont have any pictures or information from the cemeteries I need (I dont mean to critisize, genealogica.fi is a great resorce!).

http://www.genealogia.fi/haudat/indexr.htm

Here are some, if you meant something like this