PDA

View Full Version : Fågelklo surname from Raippaluoto Vaasa

Judy
12-07-09, 20:01
I have found a new part of my family, albeit collateral, but still family! My g-grandmother's sister, Kristina Amanda Strom, married Carl Erik Fågelklo, per the IGI, on 9 Nov 1889. He was born 16 Nov 1863 & his parents were Johan Fågelklo born 4 Nov 1835 & Anna Greta Fågelklo born 5 May 1836. Katrina's parents were Johan Eric Strom & Maria Gammelgård. They were the parents of my g-grandmother, Anna Fredrika Strom born 27 Mary 1856 who married Johannes Johnansson Westergård. Kristina was born 25 Jan 1866. Carl Eric immigrated to America, according to the census here, in either 1893 or 1895. I have not been able to find his manifest record. He changed his name to Charles E F Johnson. Kristina immigrated in 1903, with their daughter Maria Amanda. Her name became Christine but she also went by Amanda. They lived on the Mendocino County California coastal area until they passed away. She died 12 March 1928 & he died November 1931. Daughter Maria/Mary married John Dahl & had two daughters that I know about from the census. Their son, Chester Everett Johnson, was born in 1907 & died in 1957 in San Francisco California. I'm hoping to find an obituary for him with descendants named. I'm hoping someone can help me with Carl Erik's emigration information & also if there are other descendants out there who will contact me! My email is frty9rgal*aol.com.
Judy

June Pelo
13-07-09, 01:18
Judy,

I assume you are looking only for the family in the US and not their ancestors in Finland. I found Johan Ström and Maria Gammelgård data in Talko database. The Fågelklo name didn't show up in my search. Maybe one of our hot-shot searchers can find something about the family in CA, per your info.

Judy
13-07-09, 20:17
Hi June:
Thanks for your reply. I'll take anything I can get on these people. Either from Finland, or if there is anyone here in America that knows them!
Judy

Karen Norwillo
13-07-09, 20:30
Judy,
I don't know if you have the census images. I also see Chester Everett Johnson 3 Jan 1907, died 11 Feb 1957 San Francisco county, CA. If you go to the website of the San Francisco Public Library, SFPL.org, click on "Ask A Librarian." Since you have the date of death, request a copy of his obit, if found, and they will email it to you in a few days. I've had great response from them and other libraries. No charge. Found a death for an Amanda J Dahl born 14 Aug 1894 in Finland and died 22 Sep 1971 in Humboldt county, CA. Don't know if this your Amanda. There is a John Dahl 15 Mar 1897 and died 15 Oct 1955 in Humboldt county. This is from the CA Death Index. The J after Amanda could be for Johnson.

Judy
13-07-09, 20:43
Hi Karen:
I saw those deaths on the CADI also, California Death Index.The Amanda Dahl couldn't be the right one. I have the census of John & Mary/Maria Johnson Dahl with their daughter's ages. The John Dahl you found in Humboldt Co isn't the right one. I found the right John Dahl on the CADI. His DOB was 3 Dec 1883 & DOD was 11 April 1949 in Mendocino Co. I've already contacted the San Francisco Public Library for Chester's obituary. No response yet, but it's been only one week. I've also asked a volunteer for Milda Dahl Holmes's obituary. Should be getting that soon. Her DOB was 30 Sept 1908 & DOD was 28 July 1995.
Jufy

Karen Norwillo
15-07-09, 20:39
Did you see the 1930 census for Chester Johnson? He was newly married, wife Phyllis. Father Charles, widower, living with them. Found under a logging camp in Mendocino county.

Judy
15-07-09, 20:47
Hi Karen:
Yes, I've seen all the census for the family. I may have found Phyllis's maiden name & family, but not sure. I'm waiting for Chester's obit for more info. I did get the obit for Milda Maria Dahl. Her two daughters were Mary Lu (Lucretia on the CA Birth Index) Fontes & Doris Bottani. Doris is deceased. I found three children for Mary Lu, & may have current addresses so I can contact them in the future.
Judy

Judy
17-07-09, 21:56
I received a copy of the obituary from the San Francisco newspaper for the son of my Fågelklo people. I will quote it here:
"In this city, February 11, 1957, Chester Johnson, dearly beloved husband of Phyllis Johnson. loving father of Everett and Robert Terry Johnson and Mrs Marilee Tufts, dear grandfather of five grandchildren. A member of Local No 6, IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers union). Friends are invited to attend the funeral on thursday at 2:30 PM at the Chapel of H F Suhr Co 1910 Mission near 25th Street. Interment Olivet Memorial Park."

Now to find these sons & daughter! Having been a member of the IBEW he could have been an electrician or worked for the public utilities of the phone company or the electric company.

Judy