PDA

View Full Version : Eric Haataja/Muhos

Denise
14-07-09, 15:43
I have a mystery that I need help solving. My ggg grandfather, Eric Ericsson Haataja was born 21.6.1824 Muhos, Oulu- Wuotto village/farm to parents Eric Haataja and Greta Lisa. I found the family of an Eric Haataja in the Muhos rippikirja 1826-1832 but this Eric was married to a "Lisa Greta" and there was no son named Eric in their family. I am posting the birth of my ggg grandfather and the rippikirja I found. Is there anything unusual about his birth that I am missing?

Thank-you,
Denise

From Hiski:
Muhos - christened

* Father's last name: HAATA => Haataja, Haatajas
* Child's first name: ERIC => Erik, Erika

Born Christened Village Farm Father Mother Child
*21.6.1824 5.7.1824 Wuotto torp. Eric Haataja Greta Lisa 36 Eric

Ritva Winter
14-07-09, 19:09
The Haataja family has founded a society, 'Haatajien sukuseura r.y'
www.haatajat.com - only in Finnish. They have created a very nice coat of arms as symbol of the society (no nobility). They originate from one of the 150 bowmen sent to this northern area by king Gustavus Vasa in the 16th century. (My grandmother was a Haataja).

I suggest you mail Matti Haataja

matti.haataja*baari.net

Rgds
Ritva Winter

kivinen1
14-07-09, 19:43
Copying and pasting the URL from any of the pages into the google translator will make a "fairly" good webpage into English.

It worked quite well when I just tried. Of course, it is not perfect.

Denise
14-07-09, 19:54
Hi Ritva,
Thank-you for the link to the Haataja family. I'll try translating it and also email Matti Haataja. Your help is much appreciated. You said your grandmother was a Haataja; what was your grandmother's name?

Sincerely,
Denise

Denise
14-07-09, 19:56
Hi Ilmari,
I'll try translating the web pages. It's better than nothing, I guess! :D It seems I've been using google translation tool alot lately...with some good results, and some not so good!

Thank-you,
Denise

Karen Norwillo
14-07-09, 20:04
Denise.
Looking at the birth and Rippikirja, they both say Greta Lisa. But I don't see Erik, the son, as you said. I don't see anything about his birth that looks unusual.

Denise
14-07-09, 20:31
Hi Karen,
You're right; I don't know where the Lisa Greta came from??? I've been looking through so many pages of rippikirja my eyes are swimming. I still can't understand why Eric Ericsson Haataja isn't listed with the family. :confused:

Denise

Just found where I mixed up Lisa Greta and Greta Lisa. (on Hiski)

Muhos - christened

* Father's last name: HAATAJA => Haataja, Haatajas

Born Christened Village Farm Father Mother Child
*21.6.1824 5.7.1824 Wuotto torp. Eric Haataja Greta Lisa 36 Eric
*21.6.1830 11.7.1830 Wuotto Backst: Eric Haataja Lisa Greta 42 Caisa Mar

Karen Norwillo
15-07-09, 02:25
Denise,
Found Erik, son of Erik Haataja, died 1824, Dec 1. He was at the very bottom of the one Rippikirja and I thought it looked like a death date. When I looked at the kuolleet records, there he was. He was only 5 months old. Records look like 5 years, but couldn't have been, unless that 5 isn't referring to age.

Denise
15-07-09, 03:21
Hi Karen,
Thank-you; it just proves that you cannot always believe what someone else passes along to you on your ancestry. Better to research for yourself... I am going to start all over on this line. Something is really wrong with what I have.

Best Regards,
Denise

Denise
15-07-09, 04:44
Hi,
I have just found the correct Haataja family and thought I would post it. :D
It turns out that my ggg grandfather should have been Erik Andersson Haataja. His daughter Stina born 10.1.1849 is correct, so the information I received of her father being Eric Ericsson Haataja was wrong... and they were from Säräisniemi, not Muhos. Now I am on the right track thanks to Karen finding the death of the previous Erik.

Thank-you Karen! :D

Best Regards,
Denise

P.S. Just realized Stina Haataja's husband, Esaias Johansson Kilpeläinen ,lived on the same farm (parents Johan Kilpeläinen and Sofia Pikkarainen! Wonderful!)

Karen Norwillo
15-07-09, 19:01
You're welcome, cuz. Glad you found the right one. Love those records on FFHA. Too bad they don't have Esse yet.

Denise
15-07-09, 19:40
Hi Karen,
I love the records on FFHA too, and they just happened to have the years I needed for Säräisniemi to find the correct family, but nothing earlier or later!
I also wrote to Matti Hataaja that Ritva so kindly gave me a link and email for, so I look forward to hearing more on the family...I'll post it when I receive a reply. Thanks again Karen, and thank-you Ritva! You're both awesome! :D

Best Regards,
Denise

Ritva Winter
16-07-09, 13:53
So, it's from the Haatajas our 'genealogical genes' originate.

The home-page of the Haatajas is available in English (sorry, I didn't check).

The name Erik is very popular among the Haatajas. Grandma Liisas's father was Erik Påhlsson H, married to Fredrika Karppinen. His father Påhl, d 1848-1859, was married to Brita Kontio, that is as far as I can get. Some church-records have been destroyed, unfortunately. But should you happen to run into something.......

Rgds
Ritva W

Denise
16-07-09, 14:33
Hi Ritva,
I have a Kirsti Tuomasdr. Haataja married to a Henry Paavosson Karppinen. The Karppinen name is on my father's side, and I believe they were from that area too, such as Liminka. I also have Haataja's married to Holappa, Ronkainen, and Nurro names, but not much more either. Did you ever contact Matti Haataja yourself ? He wrote back to me last night, and wants me to send all of my info. (for the book he is writing) and he will send me information. I did that once for someone else writing a book about another family name, and never received anything in return. I guess I'll have to take a chance that he will do as he says. I'll let you know when I hear back from him.
Thanks again for your help.

Best Regards,
Denise

Ritva Winter
16-07-09, 17:37
Hi Denise,

I received what information about grandma there is in the data-base they are creating, which was more than I could find myself. And I delivered my information, part of which they didn't have - and an amateur picture of grandma in her eighties. A way to honour her, a poor woman, who'd been working extremely hard all her life and had endured all kinds of hardship.

I think you can trust Matti, they are working hard, but have difficulties and your information will be valuable to them.

Rgds
Ritva

Denise
17-07-09, 13:50
Hi Ritva,
I sent my father's information to Matti Haataja. It appears I have no concerns as he promptly emailed me back and said he will be sending me information. I want to thank-you for putting me in contact with him. :) I truly appreciate your help.

Best Regards,
Denise