PDA

View Full Version : Murder?

Denise
27-07-09, 15:05
I have been trying Google Translation to read this about an ancestor, without much luck. :o Can someone just give me an idea of what is written? I don't need the whole page translated.
http://www.orajarvi.net/kaikenlaista/marian_tarina.htm
Thank-you,
Denise

kivinen1
27-07-09, 22:34
Seems as though some of my Granat family is involved here as well.

Did you "try" the full page type of translation? Of course it is not great, but a little better than by each paragraph. http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.orajarvi.net%2Fkaikenlaista%2Fm arian_tarina.htm&sl=fi&tl=en&history_state0=&swap=1

Denise
27-07-09, 23:07
Hi Ilmari,
Yes, I copied the whole story to google translate, and everytime I read it I'm more confused. :confused: :D :o :( :mad: I guess I am not good at reading jibberish!

Denise

Denise
27-07-09, 23:25
I guess I'm trying to figure out what role Aaron Niilonpoikä Orajärvi played in this story and who was to blame for Maria's death. Was it Aaron's unborn child she was carrying when she was stabbed? put in a boat and she disappeared? rocks thrown at her? I have no clue. Or was a rock named for her after her death? And what did a child have to do with her death?

Denise :D

kivinen1
28-07-09, 08:27
Seems something like "on acquittal, Aaron only had to pay a fine of 60 silver "dollars" or an imprisonment of 16 days.

It seems that the appeals court found insufficient evidence of his roll in the murder, but still made the above "fine".

OK, Finnish people, please tell us the whole story now, and tell us how wrong we are!

Ritva Winter
28-07-09, 12:39
On the night between Aug 26th and 27th, the servant Maria Heikintytär disappeared from the Jussi-farm in Väylänmukka (where she was employed),

Her brother Matti Heikinpoika Lakkala accused the owner of the Jussi farm, Olli Ollinpoika Jussi and the farm-hand of the Hannu-farm, Isak Pekanpoika Matti, in the spring-court of 1806. The brother claimed that these two persons had killed his sister. There had previously been conflicts between Olli Ollinpoika and Maria about non-paid wages and threats in that connection.

With Isak Pekanpoika Matti Maria had two children, only the 5-year-old daughter was still alive. It was said, that Maria was pregnant again.

In April 1807 Isak Pekanpoika confessed to the crime and told, that he and the owner of the Jussi-farm had previously agreed upon killing Maria. On the night in question the three of them went down to the river and the Jussi-owner had handed over a knife to Isak, saying ' Stab her!'. Since Isak could not make himself to do so, the Jussi-owner had stabbed her in the chest. Together they carried her to the riverbank, put the body in an old boat together with heavy stones, and, releasing the plug, sent the boat away with the stream.

In the autumn of 1807 Isak Pekanpoika Matti and Olli Ollinpoika Jussi were sentenced to death, to be decapitated.

Isak Pekanpoika Matti run away. Olli Ollinpoika Jussi appealed to the Svea Hovrätt, claiming he was innocent and Isak Pekanpoika guilty of unjust accusations etc. The court decided that

1. Olli Ollinpoika was acquitted, since it could not be proved with satisfaction that the crime or the assisting to it could not be pinned to him, due to lack of evidence (Marias body whas never found in spite of several searches). He had later to leave his farm and lived as a poor man.

2. Isak Pekanpoika Matti could not be proved to have committed the murder and the sentence was amended to hard flogging and two years of heavy imprisonment at the Karlskrona castle. He was sentenced for not having prevented the murder. He died in 1809 at Karlskrona prison.

This is an extraordinary case since the murder took place, but who the murderer was remained unsolved. Olli Ollinpoika was acquitted, while Isak Pekanpoika was punished for assisting him.

And what happened to the daughter of Maria, aged 9 yeard when her (supposed) father Isak Pekanpoika died in 1809?

Regarding Aaron Niilonpoika:

He was sentenced to paying 100 silver-dalers or 23 days of imprisonment on water-and-bread
for hiding Isak Pekanpoika. He defended himself by telling, that he lived in an desolated area and was in the mercy of a desperate refugee.

In 1824 his eldest daughter, Briitta Stiina, married the son of Matti Heikinpoika Lakkala.

(This was certainly a challenge, I hope it somewhat clarifies the story)

Denise
28-07-09, 15:06
Hi Ritva,
Awesome! Thank-you very much for translating that story. I have just discovered that website and am finding connections to my father's Vanhainen family ancestors (cousins) on it. The Tornio area has been a bit of a challenge for me, hopping from Finland to Sweden. I truly appreciate the time it must have taken you to translate this. What an odd story. Poor Maria...

Thank-you so much,
Best Regards,
Denise