PDA

View Full Version : from vigda record

D J Granlund
05-08-09, 23:50
Once again I need some assistance.

Fästeqvinnans giftoman, modren, enka Hanna Nilsdr och äldste brodren, Dr Nils Mattsson, b(a)da p(a) N-o 19 GrÖdby hafva gifvit skriftligt bevittnadt och den senare här nävarande gifvit muntligt bifall till ifr(a)gavarande forbindelse Slägtskap eller annat hinder fÖsäkrades icke ega rum.

The letters a in brackets should have a circle above them but I can not get my keyboard to make that letter. The umlaut os I can only make as capital letters. If someone could clue me in to the translation and any tricks to type those letters properly it would be greatly appreciated.

David

June Pelo
06-08-09, 02:49
David,

There are several ways to type umlauts. Here's one way - use the numeric keyboard at the right of your keyboard and have the Num Lock lit:

How to Type Foreign Characters on a PC with English Keyboard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hold down Alt key and type the numbers on the numeric keyboard (do not type the dashes). Here are some examples:

Alt - 134 å
Alt - 143 Å
Alt - 132 ä
Alt - 142 Ä
Alt - 148 ö
Alt - 153 Ö
Alt - 160 á
Alt - 133 ā
Alt - 137 ë
Alt - 138 č
Alt - 130 é
Alt - 144 É
Alt - 162 ķ
Alt - 129 ü
Alt - 154 Ü
Alt - 145 æ
Alt - 146 Æ

June Pelo
06-08-09, 03:08
I would guess it says that widow Hanna Nilsdotter and oldest brother Dr. Nils Mattsson, both at No. 19 Grödby, have certified in writing and later given verbal consent for something - can't figure out some of the words.

kivinen1
06-08-09, 10:30
For Scandinavian and many other characters, you can use your "character map".

Most PCs have it... just do a search for "character map" on your own PC.

D J Granlund
06-08-09, 16:53
Dear Cousin June,

I have seen these instructions before but I use a laptop and laptops do not have a numeric key pad so the letters and codes I enter involve using fn+alt and then the blue numbers on the j k l u i o 7 8 and 9 keys. If some lister knows how to make the letters involving codes with the number u (that is 4) I would love to hear about it. When ever I try to enter a code involving 4 such as fn+alt+148 (ju8) as soon as I enter the 4 which is the u key my computer jumps back as though I had hit the back arrow in the task bar.

I have been trying unsuccessfully to translate Fästeqvinnans giftoman. I know giftoman is the brides sponsor, pehaps maid of honor, but the other is a mystery to me.

Thank you, David

June Pelo
06-08-09, 18:08
David,

Go to Google and ask how to type foreign characters on a laptop - you'll get lots of responses.

bert
24-08-09, 20:51
Hi
The meaning of the text are probably they accept the connection between the two and there is no relationship or other obstacle for the marriage.
Bert

Hasse
25-08-09, 08:15
Once again I need some assistance.

Fästeqvinnans giftoman, modren, enka Hanna Nilsdr och äldste brodren, Dr Nils Mattsson, b(a)da p(a) N-o 19 GrÖdby hafva gifvit skriftligt bevittnadt ...

the two first persons have attested [a paper saying there is no kinship or other obstacles for the marriages]

...och den senare här nävarande gifvit muntligt bifall till ifr(a)gavarande forbindelse Slägtskap eller annat hinder fÖsäkrades icke ega rum...

and the latter person present gave consent to the relationship, that kinship or other obstacles don't exist

... The letters a in brackets should have a circle above them but I can not get my keyboard to make that letter. The umlaut os I can only make as capital letters. If someone could clue me in to the translation and any tricks to type those letters properly it would be greatly appreciated.

Hasse

D J Granlund
25-08-09, 16:35
Hasse,
Thank you for the clarification.
David