PDA

View Full Version : California

sallys
31-08-09, 15:01
Hi, I have been searching earlier for my ancestor Peter Koskinen, from Kokkola at this forum. I have found out some new information about him recently:he travelled to California after a time in New York. My question is; how to best find information from California state about naturalization records and perhaps wedding and/or death certificate? Must I know the town he came to and lived in or where he died to get the info?

Karen Norwillo
31-08-09, 16:48
Give me a birth date and maybe I can locate something . It's pretty hard with just a name.

sallys
02-09-09, 11:09
Hi Karen,
it´s my grandmothers father I am searching for and his name was Petter (Peter) Koskinen, born February 16 1878 (Hiski). From Perho perish Finland. Married in Finland to Maria Catharina (b.Hallbäck) born June 9 1865. They had two daughters; Siri and Margit. They didn´t emigrate to US with him. A postcard was sent home from California, it shows redwood-trees at the picture. My mother dont´t remember what he wrote at the card. Peter came to Ellis Island in February 1916, and had a cousin in NY; Hanna Lindqvist.
I would be very glad for any help in this matter.
Best regards
sallys

kivinen1
02-09-09, 20:20
Strange, I find no Peter Koskinen born at Perho in 1878 in HisKi.

Is the parish or date correct?

Here is a man with the right age at death from Washington Digital Archives, not sure what to make of that...

name: Peter Koski
date of death: 30 Apr 1960
father name: Sam Halvoven
mother name: Ina
death place: Rural Sedro Woolley, Skagit, Washington
mother name gn: Ina
note death place: Northern State Hospital

kivinen1
02-09-09, 20:24
I find this birth in HisKi:
Born..........Christened......Father.............. ...........................Mother
16.2.1878..18.2.1878.......ent. taloll. Antti Pietarinp. Kivelä......v: o..Mariana 47

Child
Pietari

Karen Norwillo
02-09-09, 20:33
Family Search, LDS site has a Petter Antinpoika Koskinen-Pirttikoski born 16 July 1878 in Veteli, Vaasa, Finland which is neighboring parish to Perho, but I do not find him on Hiski here, either. It has him married 30 Oct 1904 in Finland to Maria Catharina Hallbäck. Interesting.

June Pelo
02-09-09, 22:09
Petter was born in Vetil in 1878. The rest of the data is correct. He isn't in Hiski - I got the data from a genealogist in Finland. His father was from Perho.

kivinen1
02-09-09, 22:36
June, please clarify, which information above is correct.

There are two different birth dates mentioned. Mine is what the O.P. mentioned.

June Pelo
03-09-09, 00:28
The date of birth I was given is 16 Jul 1878, Vetil. Son of Anders Pehrsson Lokasaari-Ahlbäck and Marianna Mattsdotter Lokasaari. Marianna's sister Anna Lisa married Matts Jakobsson Kivela and their son Johannes had a son Robert Kivela who seems to be related to Sari Jokela - she's searching for descendants of Henrik Vessi. Small world...

kivinen1
03-09-09, 01:13
HisKi has that person in my post above with the "other" birth dates, so is there also a cousin "Peter"?

sallys
03-09-09, 12:05
Hi Ilmari,
thank you, it´s the right person you have found in hiski. Pietari (in finnish) and Petter in swedish was my grandmothers father. He disappeared in US, or as one other sorce say: went to Africa. We don´t know whats true in this story. My mother remembers a postcard coming from California from him, so I´m trying to follow that clue.

sallys
03-09-09, 12:25
Hi Ilmari,
thank you, it´s the right person you have found in hiski. Pietari (in finnish) and Petter in swedish was my grandmothers father. He disappeared in US, or as one other sorce say: went to Africa. We don´t know whats true in this story. My mother remembers a postcard coming from California from him, so I´m trying to follow that clue.

There are two different birthdate: July or February 16 (1878). The truth is July 16. Then he had several surenames: Andersson (his fathers name was Anders) Pirttikoski-Koskinen. His fathers name was: Anders Perhsson Ahlbäck-Lokasaari. Anders was married to Mariana Mattsdotter Lokasaari. Then Petter was married to Maria Catharina Hallbäck. So, maybe he changed his name when he lived in US? :confused:

Karen Norwillo
05-09-09, 16:26
I don't know if you have this info, but on Ancestry.com Family Trees, I found an entry for Maria Catharina Hallbäck born 6 Sep 1865 in Karleby, Finland, died 5 Sep 1918, no place given. Has her married to Petter Koskinen with a birth date of 16 Jul 1878. The two daughters are listed, Sire (their spelling) with no DOB and Maria Margit Pehrsdotter Koskinen born 23 Aug 1909 in Karleby, Storstrom, Denmark. She married a Nils Ruben Rikardsson Björklund born 18 Jun 1912 in Kronoby, Finland. They married 20 Oct 1945. I checked, there is a village in Denmark called Karleby, as well as the one in Finland, so I don't know if she was really born in Denmark or if it's an error. That's all that's found on that family. I can't vouch for it's acurracy.

June Pelo
05-09-09, 17:36
Karen,

I have the data on Maria Catharina Johansdotter Hallbäck - she was born 9 Jun 1865, Karleby, Finland. I have previously sent the data about her ancestry to Sallys.. Both of the children, Siri and Maria were also born in Karleby, Finland. The Caino-Torp book has some of the ancestry. I think the entry about Denmark in Ancestry.com family trees could be an error.