PDA

View Full Version : Kaarle Kustaa Kaarlenpoika Jernberg

Karen Douglas
12-10-09, 22:41
In 2003, I posted a query and photo regarding one of my distant relatives. His name was Kaarle Kustaa Kaarlenpoike Jernberg. He applied for a passport on 20 April 1900 (Passport NO. 1284) to come to the United States. Some man, by the name of Karl Jernberg, departed Hanko, Finland on the ship Polaris for England on 29 June 1901. That is the only listing I can find that is close to the time that Kaarle applied for his passport. However, this man's birth year does not match with that of Kaarle Kustaa. To add to the mystery, recently I discovered that a Karl Jernberg lived here in Lansing during the early 1920s-1930s. And, ironically, he went to the same church that my parents did. But, I can find nothing else about him anywhere. Yet, I can't help but wonder: Could this have been "my" Karl - the man I have been looking for these many years? :confused:

What I know for sure is this: Karl left Finland at some point in time. "Disappeared" might be a better word. Church records indicate he went to Siberia via Siberian railways, but no date was listed. Some family members believe he went as a bodyguard for the Russians. In my previous posting there is a photo of him in military uniform, but it would have been taken several years before he applied for a passport. Another relative told me that Karl traveled to the U.S. with two other men who tore up their passports enroute, assumed another identity, and said they would not return to Finland. Karl was declared dead on 1 January 1971 in Finland.

My reason for bringing this up one more time: Does anyone at this site have a Karl Jernberg in their family tree, know someone who does, or have any suggestions on where might go, or what I might try, next? Karen

June Pelo
13-10-09, 00:12
Karen,

This is no help, but a cousin in MN sent me info. about a relative of his named Otto Andersson Järnberg who married in 1821 to Rita Kristina Pekkarinen and had 2 children. No indication of where or when anyone was born.

Another cousin in MN sent me data about Walter Jernberg who married Vendla Anderson, b. 1902 and they had 2 daughters Bette Mae and Marlene - no dates nor places, but I'm sure they lived in MN because Vendla's parents lived in Duluth. Walter died ca 1972 in Minneapolis.

Denise
13-10-09, 04:03
Hi Karen,
I thought I would post what I found on the Institute of Migration, although it appears you have info. from that site already about Jernberg's. The "remarks" are what interests me. I can 't seem to translate them them on google translation tool; Sotap. kelpaamaton (? invalid?) the word "sotap." is on both of the passports below. Maybe someone knows what the translation is. But anyway, the second passport is the Karl you are referring to, I imagine, from Alavus. I have Vilhelm Antinpoikä Gröndahl who worked on the family farm of a chaplain Gustaf Jernberg's chapel parsonage in Mynämäki and then moved with the Jernberg family to Jalasjävi in the mid 1800's. I also have a few Jernberg's listed in the late 1600's to early 1700's. I don't know if this helped any. I can check Ancestry.com if you don't have access for you.

Best Regards,
Denise

Detailed passport information
Last name Jernberg
First names Karl
Other names *
Date of birth . .1867
Marital status 2
Religion *
Occupation Loinen
Home parish Laihia
Province VAA
Passport date 18.04.1898
Passport number 446
Passport valid (year:month) 5:0
Destination Amerikka
Passport issued by VAA
Remarks Sj vmo ja 1 lapsi. Sotap. kelpaamaton.

Detailed passport information
Last name Jernberg
First names Karl Gustaf
Other names *
Date of birth . .1872
Marital status *
Religion *
Occupation Loisen pka
Home parish Alavus
Province VAA
Passport date 20.04.1900
Passport number 1284
Passport valid (year:month) 5:0
Destination Amerikka
Passport issued by VAA
Remarks Sotap. suor.

Detailed passenger information
Last name Jernberg
First names Karl
Age or age group 33
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Houghton
State of destination MI
Country of destination USA
Price of ticket FIM 297
Ship from Finland Polaris
Date of departure from Finland 29.06.1901
Ship from England *
Date of departure from England . .9999
Ocean Line Allan Line
Port of departure in England *
List and page 12/94
Remarks *

kivinen1
13-10-09, 20:35
My guess is that sotap. = soldier's son.

Denise
13-10-09, 22:00
Hi Kivinen,
would the term "kelpaamaton" sotap. mean he was disabled = disabled soldier's son? This is what google translate came up with for that term. Oh how I wish I didn't have to rely on google translate! :o
Thank-you,
Denise :D

Translation: Finnish » English

Unacceptable
> swap

Dictionary:
adjective

1. disabled
2. inadmissible
3. unfit

kivinen1
13-10-09, 22:05
I would guess at "unfit soldier boy" or "unfit soldier's boy", but I can see where your interpretation could be more accurate.

Jaska Sarell
13-10-09, 22:44
Sotap. kelpaamaton
sotapalvelukseen kelpaamaton
unfit for military service

He may have had true physical reason for being unfit, but in those days many also presented false reports. Long service in the Russian army wasn't very popular for young Finns.

There's another remark for the other man
Sotap. suor.
sotapalveluksen suorittanut
completed military service

:) Jaska

Denise
13-10-09, 23:58
Jaska and Kivinen,
Thank-you for the translations...:D It must be nice to be so smart! :D

Best Regards,
Denise

Karen Douglas
18-10-09, 20:57
June, Denise, Ilmari and Jaska: Thanks for your information and comments regarding Kaarle Gustaf Jernberg. He was born 13 Dec 1872 in Alavus, as you perceived, Denise. Some of the family describes him as "a lost soul" who wandered about trying to find his place in this world.

However, since my last posting, I have acquired some additional information: Kaarle Gustaf was the son of Karl Emanuelipoika Jernberg, (Born 4 Feb 1843 in Ahtari; died 18 Nov 1875.) His mother was Johanna Matintytar Savela, (Born 30 Sep 1848 in Alavus. No death date, yet.) (Karl Emanuel and Johanna were married on 1 April 1872.) Small clues, but I'm now trying to pursue those.

Alas, sometimes I think too much time has passed to uncover any paper trail on Kaarle Gustaf, but I hesitate to give up hope. Again, thanks to each of you for your help and support. Karen. :)