PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

J.E. Alkula
19-10-09, 05:35
I am Jacqueline ALKULA and I am searching for more of my ancestors on my father's side of the family.
Here is what I know.
J (John) Emil ALKULA arrived at Ellis Island on 19 May 1902 from Liverpool, UK on the SS Cymric. He was born 30 Nov. 1875 somewhere in Finland. On the certificate that Ellis Island gives out they list Lappeenranta Finland as the place the came from.
He was traveling with his wife Hilda and 3 year old daughter Jenny. I have also learned this past week that he and Hilda married on 27 April 1897 at Mänttä, Finland. Census forms for 1920 show that his occupation was that of Rail Car Repair. Upon arriving at Ellis Island his plan was to travel to Ashtabula, Ohio. He had $30 dollars when he arrived. By 1908 he was a citizen of the USA and registered for the draft during WWI
His wife: Hilda Maria Bjorne born 26 Sept. 1876 at Santaipela W.L. Finland died 3 Nov. 1946 Ashtabula, Ohio buried 5 Nov. 1946 Edgewod Cemetery Ashtabula, Ohio. I also have a ships' log showing her returning to the USA in 1937.
Daughter:
Jenny Maria Alkula. Born 1900/1901 LAPPEENRANTA, Finland. Married John Hildebrand Jacobson 6 December 1930. Died July 1985.
Son Everett ? Alkula, born 20 July 1906 Ashtabula, Ohio. Died Sept 1980 Massilon, Stark, Ohio. This is my Grandfather....
Daughter:
Dagmar (Dagmere) Alkula born 27 March 1909 Ashtabula, Ohio; married Michael Kapala. Died 15 Nov. 1987

Emil and Hilda also had three children that died by one year in age between 1910 and 1915. all are buried at Edgewood Cemetery Ashtabula, Ohio

Dagmar and Michael Kapala would have 8 children, one that died at 2 hours of age. I know of one child of Dagmar and Michael that has died, William W. Kapala, MAJ, USAF, (Ret.) born 19 Jan 1944 died 6 July 2008. During Maj. Kapala's service in the USAF he was assigned to Mission Control Houston, TX during the Apollo manned mission to the moon.

So. That is the short list of what I know. I am still looking for much more information on Emil and Hilda. Also I am very interested in as much information on Everett. He was my father's father, my Grandfather, who I had never met. I understand that he was confined to the Mental Health System of the State of Ohio for much of his life. My father was born Venlear Joseph Alkula in Ashtaula Ohio, 25 April 1926 and he died 25 May 1991 in Largo Florida.

thank for taking time to read this very long introduction.

J.E. Alkula
20-10-09, 16:24
Let me see if this will allow me to attach some pictures. Still learning this
GUI. What you should see is the 1920 Census for Emil Alkula and family, and the certificate that the Ellis Island Foundation gives to families of those that passed through.

I'll post the copy of Hilda's death certificate tomorrow.

Jackie

Jaska Sarell
20-10-09, 20:49
Made a notion of this:

His wife: Hilda Maria Bjorne born 26 Sept. 1876 at Santaipela W.L. Finland died 3 Nov. 1946 Ashtabula, Ohio buried 5 Nov. 1946 Edgewod Cemetery Ashtabula, Ohio.
I think the place is Savitaipale, about 20 miles NW of Lappeenranta.
Unfortunately Savitaipale parish records have been destroyed in fires and no old data cannot be found from there in e.g. HisKi (http://hiski.genealogia.fi/seurakunnat/srk?CMD=SRK&ID=478&TYPE=HTML&LANG=EN) database. The Finnish text (http://hiski.genealogia.fi/seurakunnat/srk?CMD=SRK&ID=478&TYPE=HTML&LANG=FI) explains that all the church archive was burnt in an arson of vicarage on 13 Feb 1905 and again during the civil war on 24 Apr 1918, except for some records between 1900-09.

Thanks for the comprehensive introduction!

:) Jaska

Denise
21-10-09, 02:54
Welcome to Finlander Forum Jackie,
From the Institute of Migration I found this on Hilda Alkula. Jaska is correct on her birth place.

Best Regards,
Denise

Detailed information (Reference records)
Last name: Alkula
First names: Hilda Maria
Other name: *
Date of birth: 25.09.1876
Place of birth: Savitaipale
State of birth: VII
Country of birth: SF
Date of death: 03.11.1946
Place of death: Ashtabula
State of death: OH
Country of death: USA
References: - Siirtokansan kalenteri 1948: 181 ("Tuonen viljaa").
Remarks: Pso: Emil Alkula. Vih: 27.04.1897 Mänttä, SF. Lapset: 3 (2 tytärtä, 1 poika), (7 lastenlasta). KS: Ashtabula, OH, USA. LS: > 1902 Ashtabula, OH, USA.

Detailed passenger information
Last name Alkula
First names Hilda
Age or age group 58
Port of departure Helsinki/Turku
Place of destination New York
State of destination NY
Country of destination USA
Price of ticket USD 98
Ship from Finland Arcturus
Date of departure from Finland 18.08.1937
Ship from England Scythia
Date of departure from England 28.08.1937
Ocean Line Cunard/White S.
Port of departure in England Liverpool
List and page 133/109
Remarks *

Denise
21-10-09, 03:27
Hi Jackie,
I found this on Ancestry. There is an email address to contact and it appears this person lives in Ohio. triciashumate*yahoo.com Maybe she could get the records for you on Everett since she is in Ohio.

Best Regards,
Denise

Parkinson Hankinson & Plants Families
Entries: 15430 Updated: 2009-07-10 23:41:06 UTC (Fri)
# ID: I12244
# Name: Venlear J Alkula 1
# Sex: M
# Birth: 25 APR 1927 1
# Death: 25 MAY 1991 in Pinellas Co., FL 1
# Note:

[solomon.FTW]

Social Security Death Index Record
about Venlear J. Alkula
Name: Venlear J. Alkula
SSN: 273-22-8837
Born: 25 Apr 1927
Died: 25 May 1991
State (Ye ar) SSN issued: Ohio (Before 1951 )
Florida Death Index, 1936-1998 Record
a bout Venlear J Alkula
Name: Venlear J Alkula
Death Date: 25 May 1991
Coun ty of Death: Pinellas
State of Death: Florida
Age at Death: 64
Race: Wh ite
Birth Date: 25 Apr 1927
U.S. World War II Army Enli stment Records, 1938-1946 Record
about Venlear J Alkula
Name: Venlear J Alk ula