PDA

View Full Version : Wa state: Skagit Valley: Charles Tolber

syrene
22-10-09, 02:50
Hi,
Skagit Valley had a lot of Swedish Finns. One of the earliest is recorded in 1870 as Chas Tolberg, but I believe he was Karl Tollberg or Tallberg or ?? His estimated birth year is 1843. He homesteaded land in Skagit County.

His second marriage was to one Brita, a member of Gethsemane Lutheran Church in downtown Seattle, WA, and he donated some lots to the Emmaus Lutheran Church in Seattle/Ballard when that congregation formed to create a Swedish Finn Lutheran church there. I've checked the Institute of Migration, but since he came so very early, their records don't include him.

Glenn Ness and his sister Patricia Ness were raised in Anacortes, Skagit County, and have begun collecting information on the Swedish Finns 1940 onwards there. I'd like to get info on some of the earlier settlers who came from Swedish Finland. If you know of John Carlson, Vendla Nelson, Leander Palm, Ella Matson, Charley Matson, or John Matson, Ida Matson, Matilda Matson, Charles Sebbias [sic] {I believe that's Sebbas}, or Oliver Quick [sic] Qvist?? please share your information with the project.

Thanks,

Syrene Forsman