PDA

View Full Version : Kristian Edward Klo(o), Iskmo

christer
21-12-03, 10:10
Looking for information about Kristian Edward Klo(o) b.19.4.1873 in Iskmo. Finland. Emigrated to Bessemer MI first time 13.2. 1892
his wife Maria Isaksdotter b.26.2.1870 came to Bessemer in 1894.
Their daughter Ida( my grandma) born 1896 in Bessemer. The family returned back to Finland in 1899. Maria died 1899 and Kristian returned back to Bessemer without Ida.Rumor says that he was murdered in a lumbercamp where he was a foreman.The last letter from him is from 1908.He married again in Bessemer.
Canīt find anything about him.

christer

granskare
22-12-03, 03:21
Kloo, Kristian Finland March 18, 1892 Age:24y M Ship: Nevada Port: Liverpool, England, UK

This information above is from the ellisisland.org website. Unfortunately the manifest image is incorrect and doesn't show his line but it seems to be his first visit to America.
I'm going back down to Swenson Swedish Immigration Center on Tuesday and will try to check Bessemer churches for you.
Chuck Mäki i Rock Island, IL

granskare
23-12-03, 19:42
I did not find anybody with the name Kloo or any spelling close to it.
There is the possibility of them having gone to a church in Ironwood depending on where they actually resided at the time so it might be useful to try those churches in January.
Chuck

christer
24-12-03, 08:47
Hi Chuck

My mother rekognized the name Ironwood so there is a possibility that he might have lived there.He might have changed his name too,hope not.Thank you anyway for your researching.
Merry christmas and a happy new year to you.

Christer

granskare
07-01-04, 00:06
Hi Christer,
I checked in at Swenson today and searched for Kloo at Grace Lutheran in Ironwood and struck out. Then I went to Salem Lutheran in Ironwood and again nothing. Finally tried Wakefield's Immanuel lutheran and same results. It is probably that he changed his name or perhaps did not join a church for which Swenson has records. He could have joined one of the many Finnish lang churches insted.
Chuck

christer
07-01-04, 08:30
Hi Chuck

Thank you for your researching anyway. I asked my mothers sister if she had any further information about my gr grandfather
and she she was shure that he remarried in Bessemer and got
2 children.Is there somewhere marriagerecords for Bessemer/ Ironwood?

Christer

granskare
07-01-04, 20:33
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/mi/gogebic/multiple/marriage/m62020.txt

Hi Christer,
I did not find anybody named Kloo here but perhaps you can go thru the url above and use his other names and knowing his bridge's name, you just might find him here. If not, he also could have gotten married across the border in Wisconsin. To find that place, just backspace over the address until "mi" disappears and then you will get an index so you can find "wi" for wisconsin and then click onto "iron" county and hopefully there will be a list there.
Good luck!
Chuck