PDA

View Full Version : Johnson/Kotka from Lohtaja to Michigan/Minnesota also Tausta from Finland to MN

Janel
03-11-09, 16:31
Hi everyone -- I have just a little information to go on in researching and am hoping that someone may have some creative thoughts on possible connections. Here's what I "know": My great-grandfather, Leander Johnson (Kotka) was born in Lohtaja (maybe September 1862, but not sure where that date came from). He immigrated -- maybe 1881 -- first to Michigan where his brother Tuora (half-brother) had disappeared in the mines --then moved to the New York Mills, Minnesota (Otter Tail County) area around 1889. His first wife was named Kaisa Klemetti. She may also be from Lohtaja. Their first child, Jennie Christina (married name Hepokoski) was born in Michigan, but all the rest were born in Minnesota in the Otter Tail/Deer Creek/Wadena area. Although Leander may have spent a good number of years in Michigan, I haven't been able to find any records of him in Michigan. Kaisa died in 1900, and he married again. He had a lot of kids! I'm descended from his second wife, Anna Liisa Tausta. We think she was born in Finland in 1870, but no idea where. Although Leander naturalized, I haven't been able to find his naturalization records, nor his initial voyage. This means that the only source we have for the Kotka name is that the kids from his first marriage believed he had been convinced to change his name to Johnson from Kotka. One of my uncles thought he found information from Lohtaja, but he has passed away, and I haven't been able to identify the source of this information -- so I'm hoping that someone may be able to point me to some information that will confirm what my uncle found. Here's what I have: Leander Johnson/Kotka's dad was Johan Johaninpoika Kotka, born June 15, 1843 in Lohtaja Finland. No death or immigration information. His mother was Kaisa Isaaksdotter Heikkila, born Dec 18th 1844 in Lohtaja Finland, also no death or immigration information. I think his mother was married previously. I have some additional information on Johan Johaninpoika Kotka's ancestors, but my first goal here is to see if anyone can help confirm this information on Leander's likely parents and secondly to see if anyone has any creative thoughts on names that might help me find Leander's immigration/naturalization or residency in Michigan, and thirdly to see if I can find out more about Anna Liisa Tausta.

Thank you all for your time and thoughts,
Janel

June Pelo
03-11-09, 21:04
I have some Kotka names in my database, and there is one for Johan Johansson Kotka, b. 15 Jun 1843 in Karleby (not Lohtaja), to Johan Jacobsson Kotka and his wife Anna Maria Johansdotter Vitick. They had 5 children, with Johan the oldest, but he died. They had another son Johan who was born 26 May 1849. I have no further data about him, and tried to check the Talko database for more info., but it isn't working properly today, so I'll have to wait until Hasse works on it.

I didn't find any of your Kotka names in Lohtaja - maybe they came from Karleby parish? If Johan Johansson Kotka and his wife Anna Maria prove to be parents of your Johan, I do have the ancestry of both parents that I can send you.

Denise
03-11-09, 22:47
Hi Janel,
From the Institute of Migration I found the following: Unsure which ones, if any, match what you have posted. I haven't renewed my subscription to Ancestry.com as I do not need it anymore for what I've been researching, so maybe someone on the forum that has it can find further information for you.

Best Regards,
Denise

Detailed passport information
Last name Klemettilä
First names Sanna Kaisa
Other names *
Date of birth . .1882
Marital status 1
Religion Lut.
Occupation Taloll. tr
Home parish Lapua
Province VAA
Passport date 06.10.1905
Passport number 6761
Passport valid (year:month) 5:0
Destination Amerikka
Passport issued by VAA
Remarks *

Detailed passenger information
Last name Klemettilä
First names Kaisa
Age or age group 23
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Shuswap
State of destination BC
Country of destination CDN
Price of ticket FIM 384
Ship from Finland Arcturus
Date of departure from Finland 11.10.1905
Ship from England Bavarian
Date of departure from England 19.10.1905
Ocean Line Allan Line
Port of departure in England *
List and page 46/5
Remarks *

Detailed information (Reference records)
Last name: Klemettilä
First names: Sanna
Other name: Wuorinen
Date of birth: 99.99.9999
Place of birth: *
State of birth: *
Country of birth: *
Date of death: 99.99.9999
Place of death: *
State of death: *
Country of death: *
References: - Siirtokansan Kalenteri 1964: 132 (Muistokirjoitus). [Tall: Leena Salonen.]
Remarks: Pso: August Klemettilä. Lapset: Edwin, Mrs. Simon M. Rosen ja Mrs. Reuben Ahonen. KS: Wakefield, MI. USA.

Last name Klemetti
First names Kaisa Kustaava
Other names *
Date of birth 21.03.1887
Marital status 1
Religion Lut.
Occupation Talon tytär
Home parish Paavola
Province OU
Passport date 15.05.1911
Passport number 455
Destination Amerikka
Passport issued by OU
Remarks *

Last name Klemetti
First names Kaisa
Age or age group 26
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Eureka
State of destination CA
Country of destination USA
Price of ticket FIM 634
Date of departure from Finland 09.04.1913
Ship from England Celtic
Date of departure from England 17.04.1913
Ocean Line White Star Line
Port of departure in England Liverpool
List and page 92/24
Remarks *

Last name Kotka
First names Leander
Other names *
Date of birth 20.03.1891
Marital status 1
Religion Lut.
Occupation Taloll. pka
Home parish Alavieska
Province OU
Passport date 10.03.1909
Passport number 478
Destination Amerikka
Passport issued by OU
Remarks *

Last name Kotka
First names Leander
Age or age group 19
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Waukegan
State of destination IL
Price of ticket FIM 322
Ship from Finland Polaris
Date of departure from Finland 24.03.1909
Ship from England Caronia
Date of departure from England 30.03.1909
Ocean Line Cunard Line
List and page 71/1
Remarks *

Last name Kotka
First names Leander
Age or age group 22
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Fitchburg
State of destination MA
Price of ticket FIM 281
Ship from Finland Astraea
Date of departure from Finland 06.12.1913
Ship from England Hellig Olav
Date of departure from England 10.12.1913
Ocean Line Skand. American
List and page 102/52
Remarks *

Last name Johnson
First names Leander
Age or age group 37
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Menominee
State of destination MI
Price of ticket FIM 185
Date of departure from Finland 14.09.1901
Ship from England *
Date of departure from England . .9999
Ocean Line American Line
List and page 13/78
Remarks Mk Johanna, Julia ja Selma Johnson.

Last name Johnson
First names Leander
Age or age group 19
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Brainerd
State of destination MN
Price of ticket USD 63
Date of departure from Finland 05.07.1902
Ship from England *
Date of departure from England 99.99.9999
Ocean Line Dominion Line
List and page 27/44
Remarks *

Detailed information (Reference records)
Last name: Johnson
First names: Leander
Other name: *
Date of birth: 99.99.9999
Place of birth: Vaasa
State of birth: VAA
Country of birth: SF
Date of death: 02.05.1942
Place of death: Manistique
State of death: MI
Country of death: USA
References: - Siirtokansan kalenteri 1943: 151 ("Tuonen viljaa").
Remarks: Ikä: 77.

Denise
03-11-09, 23:05
Hi Janel,
From HisKi: I believe this is Leander father's birth and parents.

Best Regards,
Denise

Kokkolan msrk/emäsrk - Karleby lf/moderförs
Christened

Born / Christened 15.6.1843 18.6.1843
Village / Farm Korplax
Father Bd. Johan Jacobss. Kotka
Mother Anna Maja 20-25
Child Johan (kuollut 23.9.43)
Own comment
Original comment
Links SSHY - Digiarkisto

SORRY< JUST REALIZED THIS JOHAN DIED> 23.9.1843
This must be family June has.

Janel
04-11-09, 04:51
Hi June thanks for your information that Johan Johansson Kotka, b 15 Jun 1843 (in Karleby) cannot be Leander's dad because he died. I'll "pencil in" the second son, Johan, born 26 May 1849 as Leander's dad for now.

Janel
04-11-09, 05:14
Hi Denise - thanks for finding possible names in the Institute for Migration database, unfortunately, these are all after 1900 and Leander was in Minnesota by 1889. (And Kaisa died in 1900). And thanks for posting your message about Leander's parents, then realizing that Johan had died. I think my uncle made that same initial mistake, so you've helped me clarify that!

thanks again,
Janel

kivinen1
04-11-09, 08:38
Janel,

Not that it is necessarily true in you case, particularly because you are aware of death dates, but I do hope you are aware that sometimes our folks traveled back and for on several occasions. Just something to keep in mind if there are other searches in the future.

This is true in my own family, and I had no idea of it until I found out and then found the further evidence.;)

Denise
04-11-09, 13:10
Hi Janel,
I believe this is your Anna Tausta; I neglected to even search for her. There is not a passenger record on the Institute of Migration for her, just her passport.

Best Regards,
Denise :)

Last name Tausta
First names Anna Liisa Jaakont.
Other names *
Date of birth . .1870
Marital status 1
Religion Lut.
Occupation Itsellinen
Home parish Hailuoto
Province OU
Passport date . .1901
Passport number 0
Destination Amerikka
Passport issued by OU
Remarks *

Karen Norwillo
04-11-09, 20:38
If thes images are your Leander, as of 1920, he was still using Johnson. You'll see Jenny is the only child born MI, rest MN. It looks like Anna Liisa used Lizzie. Didn't find Kaisa, but by 1920, Lizzie was deceased as Leander is marked as widowed.

Janel
05-11-09, 13:48
Hi, Ilmari -- thanks for pointing out that immigration wasn't necessarily a one way trip. You're right that Leander may have may a trip back home (maybe to get that second wife!). I've just been too focused on trying to pin down his initial immigration to help determine when he adopted the usage of "Johnson" ( since I didn't have any "proof" that he had actually used Kotka).

Janel
05-11-09, 14:25
Hi Denise, thanks for finding that passport information for Anna Liisa Tausta! I managed to find a website with translations for common document terms, http://www.saunalahti.fi/hirvela/historismi_sivut/termitnew.html so now I know that "itsellinen" means border (possibly welfare case hosted by the parish). Would "Jaakont." be an abbreviation of "Jaakontytar"; Jaako's daughter?

Denise
05-11-09, 14:36
Hi Janel,
Yes, Jaakontytär would be Jaako's daughter. Hiski doesn't have records for the years needed in Hailuoto: :( but maybe on this site which I am not very familiar with using; sorry. http://digi.narc.fi/digi/index.ka?lang=en_US Her family may be in the tax records.
HisKi:
Hailuoto - Karlö
* Christened (1721-1840)
* Married (1722-1812, 1816-1841)
* Buried (1702-1714, 1722-1850)
* All (1702-1850)

Best Regards,
Denise

Janel
05-11-09, 14:58
Hi Karen, thanks for finding those census images! You know, I think you did find Kaisa - that first record is from 1895 (prior to Anna Liisa's arrival) and although Leander's wife's name looks like its "Lisa", the cursive script is different than that of the "L" above in Leander, maybe a "G", something like "Gisa" which could be a hard G sound easily misheard from Kaisa.....thanks!
janel