PDA

View Full Version : Maria Hermansdotter Holm immigration to America 1889

BeverlyCooper
04-11-09, 03:06
My great aunt Maria Hermansdotter Holm was born 8 July 1869 in Runsor, Korsholm Parish. The Church Books show she immigrated to America 13 May 1889. She lived first at Marshfield, Oregon before moving to Astoria, Oregon in 1891 where she died in 1930. On her marriage record dated 1891 she was listed as Mary Holme so I am assuming she would have immigrated with the Holm name. I am writing a story about her life and would like to locate her passport and travel records and wondered if anyone on Finlander could help. I have many records about her but I can find nothing about her immigration. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Beverly Cooper

kivinen1
04-11-09, 09:30
Beverly, it might help some of us who like to work backward to know her married name.

BeverlyCooper
04-11-09, 17:48
Maria married two times. The first was to (1)Johan Viktor Alexandersson Kulla born 29 April 1866 in Kokkola/Karleby. Viktor used the name Victor Sanderson in America thus she was Mary Sanderson from 1891-1900. They had one child Walfrid Victor Sanderson (1896-1930). They divorced in 1897 and Maria married (2)Matts Viliam Jakobsson Kulla born 12 June 1871 in Kokkola/Karleby. Matts went by the name William Jacobson and thus she was Mary Jacobson from 1900-1930. They had two children Elna (1901-1998) and Hazel (1904-1995). I do not believe the two husbands Victor and William were related but it is an interesting coincidence. Hope this helps.

Denise
05-11-09, 15:10
Hi Beverly,
On the Institute of Migration I found this passport record. I know this isn't helping your goal to find Maria Holm's immigration but thought I would post it. Did Johan Viktor Kulla go back to Finland, and then return to America?

Best Regards,
Denise

Detailed passport information
Last name Kulla
First names Johan Wiktor
Other names *
Date of birth . .1866
Marital status 1
Religion Lut.
Occupation Taloll. pka
Home parish Kokkolan pit.
Province VAA
Passport date 11.05.1910
Passport number 3408
Passport valid (year:month) 5:0
Destination Amerikka
Passport issued by VAA
Remarks *

BeverlyCooper
05-11-09, 16:46
Denise,
Thanks for taking the time to check for records. I'm not sure if Johan went back to Finland as after he divorced my great aunt Mary in Astoria he moved to Seattle. In 1903 he did remarry a woman named Aurora Palm and they had 3 children. If he did return to Finland it would have been to visit as he was an American citizen at that time and lived for many years in Seattle. I have been in contact with his descendants so I will pass the information on as I'm sure they will be interested.
Do you know if there is any way to find Maria's immigration records without going through the Migration Institute in Finland. Many of their older records are not online and it gets a bit expensive to pay for their research time. I have a lot of relatives who immigrated to America and Canada. I guess I am being a bit cheap here but genealogy can get to be an expensive habit.
Thanks
Beverly

Denise
05-11-09, 16:57
Hi Beverly,
I think at one time I wrote to the Institute of Migration regarding someone I couldn't find on their website and because I was a member they didn't charge me for the record. That was years ago, (things may have changed since then) but I can write and ask them if they have a record for her. I'll get back to you on this.

Best Regards,
Denise

BeverlyCooper
05-11-09, 21:02
Thanks Denise,
I will be interested to hear if they do research for members free of charge and it is very kind of you to offer your help. It might be well worth my while to join as I do have so many relatives that are not online yet. As I mentioned I am writing an article about my great aunt and it is such a big hole in her story to not have any immigration facts. It amazes me how these young women managed to traveled such great distances when they had probably never been far from home.
Thanks again
Beverly

BeverlyCooper
06-11-09, 00:04
Denise,
I contacted Johans family and he did indeed go back to Finland in 1910 to bring a niece, Elna Mattson, 18 years old, to America. He left New York April 1910 and returned to Boston 2 June 1910. He became a Naturalized U.S. Citizen in 1892 so I am curious why he would have applied for a Finnish passport in 1910. He had applied 16 March 1910 in King County, Washington for and I assume been granted a U.S. passport for travel overseas. It seems curious to me that he would have need a Finnish passport to return home. Does anyone know if this process was common for Finnish immigrants who had returned home for a visit.
Thanks
Beverly Cooper

Denise
13-11-09, 15:25
Hi Beverly,
Here is the reply I received from the Institute of Migration. :)

"The passport for Maria Holm was issued on 20 May 1889 in Vaasa Province. The information is not yet in our register, only on microfilms.
She traveled to America through Sweden, that was the most popular option in 1800's. I found her leaving Gothenburg, Sweden on 31 May 1889 and her destination was San Francisco.
This information is not online either, we have here lists of Finns who traveled through Gothenburg.
We do not charge you for this information."

Best Regards,
Denise :D

Denise
13-11-09, 15:55
Hi Beverly,
It appears that LDS (familysearch) may also have the records that can be ordered through your local LDS. https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Finland_Emigration_and_Immigration

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno=185988&disp=Passiluettelot%20%20&columns=*,0,0

and here is further information:
http://sydaby.eget.net/swe/emi_ren.htm

Best Regards,
Denise

P.S. If you want to consider subscribing to the Institute of Migration, I found it to be very reasonable: I think it is about $25. US dollars per year and they have a wealth of information.

BeverlyCooper
13-11-09, 23:27
Thanks Denise.
It is exciting to see a firm date in writing for Maria's immigration. I am planning a trip to Salt Lake in January and will view the immigration films at that time. I am still hoping to find a passenger list with her name on it proving she traveled alone to America. What an adventure it must have been for a single young woman in 1889.
The Institute of Migration membership is very reasonable and a worthy cause to support. I will look into it.
Thanks again
Beverly

Denise
14-11-09, 00:29
Hi Beverly,
Try this link out as she probably came through Castle Garden in 1889. I just put in the name "Maria" with no last name. I'll let you search through the pages...sorry. :D There were no results when I entered the name "Maria Holm" so maybe it was misspelled. http://castlegarden.org/search_02.php?m_ship=&po_port=&p_first_name=maria&p_last_name=&o_occ=&co_country=&province=&town=&m_arr_date_start=1889&m_arr_date_end=1889&submit.x=52&submit.y=14

Or, another possibility is the Canadian Archives and Library, also searchable, page by page...:( http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/passenger/index-e.html (click on SEARCH on the far left column, and put in what information you have when the next page comes up, and it will come up with lists of ships in that timeframe, and then you search, ship by ship, page by page) It can be a bit frustrating.

Best Regards,
Denise

June Pelo
14-11-09, 01:17
Some years ago I found an article on the Internet written about a woman who traveled via steerage across the Atlantic in 1892. It gives some insight of what ocean travel was like at that time.

BeverlyCooper
14-11-09, 22:57
Thanks June. I enjoyed the article. I'm sure many of our relatives had heard first hand accounts of conditions on immigrant ships and it amazes me that the trip held more promise than staying home. Obviously these were very difficult times.

christer
17-11-09, 18:59
Hi Beverly

I checked the passportfilm at the regional archive today and this is what i found

Passportnumber 1290 May 20 1889 Maid Maria Hermansdotter Holm from Mustasaari passport to Amerika

Passportnumber 1291 May 20 1889 Maid Karolina Abrahamsdotter Norrgård from Mustasaari passport to Amerika

Passportnumber 1292 May 20 1889 Kristian Karlsson Loo b.1856 passport to Amerika

Passport no 1293 May 20 1889 Ulrika Karl Fredriksdotter Bäck with son Johan Edvin Hermansson Bäck

So these people got their passports at the same time,dont know if they really travelled together then but interesting that my relative Kristian Karlsson Loo was involved in this.

I ordered the original documents and can go tomorrow to look at them and make copies of them i they find the documents,as you remember it was not very easy to find the documents.
Christer

Denise
17-11-09, 19:40
Hi Christer and Beverly,
From the Institute of Migration I found these records which may help. They appear to be the same as what Christer posted above on the Bäck family.

Best Regards,
Denise

Last name Bäck
First names Herman Hermansson
Other names *
Date of birth . .1857
Marital status 2
Religion Lut.
Occupation Talollinen
Home parish Mustasaari
Province VAA
Passport date 30.10.1893
Passport number 4098
Destination USA
Passport issued by VAA
Remarks /VA EU. Sp vaimo Ulrika, lapset Johan, Karl ja Edith.

Last name Bäck
Other names *
Date of birth . .1857
Marital status *
Religion Lut.
Occupation Itsellinen
Home parish Mustasaari
Province VAA
Passport date 13.05.1882
Passport number 583
Destination USA
Passport issued by VAA
Remarks /VA EU.

Last name Bäck
Other names *
Date of birth . .1857
Marital status *
Religion Lut.
Occupation Itsellinen
Home parish Mustasaari
Province VAA
Passport date 20.08.1886
Passport number 1640
Passport valid (year:month) 3:0
Destination USA
Passport issued by VAA
Remarks /VA EU.

Last name Bäck
First names Ulrika
Other names *
Date of birth . .1857
Marital status 2
Religion Lut.
Occupation Taloll. vmo
Home parish Mustasaari
Province VAA
Passport date 30.10.1893
Passport number 4098
Destination USA
Passport issued by VAA
Remarks /VA EU. Ph mies Herman s. 1857.

BeverlyCooper
18-11-09, 08:26
Christer,
These people are definately related and this is exciting news.
Your relative Kristian Karlsson Loo is a brother-in-law to Maria Hermansdotter Holm. As you know he is also Loo-Ann's great-grandfather. As a widower he married Maria's older sister Anna Sophia Hermansdotter Holm b. 1863.
Ulrika Karl-Fredsicksdotter Bäck b. 1857 is the wife of Maria's brother Herman Hermansson Holm or Bäck b. 1857. Herman Hermansson and Ulrika Karl-Fredsicksdotter Bäck are my great-grandparents. Johan Edvard Hermansson b. 1886 is their son.
I'm not sure who the Norrgård is but I will figure it out. There were some Norrgård's from Karperö who settled near South Slough on Coos Bay and were neighbors to my great-grandparents.
I'm sure glad you got away from that house project and are back online. Do you know if there is anyway to figure out how they traveled to America. I know Ulrika, Johan and Maria went through Sweden but I can't find the ship or route they traveled.
Thanks again
Beverly

BeverlyCooper
18-11-09, 09:08
Denise,
Thank you for the copies of the passport records. I didn't notice your post on page 2 before I answered Christer's and I should mention it's pretty exciting to have 2 pages of information here on Finlander to read about my family.
Herman and Ulrika are my great-grandparents. Herman immigrated to America 3 times 1882, 1886 and 1893. Ulrika 2 times 1889 and 1893. They came through Ellis Island in 1893 and I do already have these records so I don't want you to spend your time searching for them. I received passport records from the Institute of Migration for the 1882, 1886, 1889 and 1893 trips of Herman and Ulrika. What I don't have is any information on the ships or route they took coming to America other than passing through Sweden. I am especially interested in finding more details about Ulrika's trip in 1889 as I do now believe she traveled with her sister-in-law Maria in addition to other family members. I am in the process of writing a story about my great-aunt Maria so I am desparetely searching for any details pretaining to her life.
Beverly