PDA

View Full Version : Questions

Tracy Boeldt
05-09-03, 01:31
Hi all!,
I had a few questions--question 1) Is there a site like Finngen with the lists of parishes for Sweden? Question 2) I recently received from the Piikkis parish that my gg grandmother was not born there, but in the other parishes she is listed as being born in that parish--what should I do? I was thinking that maybe since I only know English that maybe that threw off the researcher? Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Tracy Yeager-Boeldt
Yuba City, CA

Gita Wiklund
05-09-03, 22:28
Hi Tracy,

1) The main site for genealogy enquiries in Sweden is "Rötter" =(Roots) at
http://www.genealogi.se/

Choose "anbytarforum" in the menu in the left frame and then choose "discussions in english" in the right frame. There you´ll get directions on how to continue.

2) I don´t know about that. It might be that they are afraid to not be guarantied to get paid for the research or that the borders of parishes has changed during time. Can you find your g g grandmother in the hiski database, and if so, in what parrish ?

Gita Wiklund

Tracy Boeldt
06-09-03, 01:01
Hi Gita,
Thanks for responding to my questions--I will try the Rötter site and see how that's goes. I just drafted a letter that I will send to the Mariestads pastorat with the information for my grandfather's family in Sweden.
As for the hiski database--no, I haven't found my gg grandmother in the database. There is no listing that I can see for the Piikkis parish and even so, the hiski project has been closed for most of the year--when is the database going to open?
Best regards,
Tracy Yeager-Boeldt

Hasse
06-09-03, 07:44
Originally posted by Tracy Boeldt
There is no listing that I can see for the Piikkis parish and even so, the hiski project has been closed for most of the year--when is the database going to open?

Tracy

Hiski as such is up and running but the parish info is found only on the Finnish language portion. For example, the info on Lundo/Lieto - ie the neighbouring parish to Pikis/Piikkiö is found behind this link (http://www.genealogia.fi/historia/mini.php?srk=296) . I have seen no information about when the swedish and english versions would be on the air.

We have members from the Åbo and Pargas areas - maybe they know more about Pikis' churchbooks?

Gita Wiklund
06-09-03, 12:59
Originally posted by Tracy Boeldt
Thanks for responding to my questions--I will try the Rötter site and see how that's goes. I just drafted a letter that I will send to the Mariestads pastorat with the information for my grandfather's family in Sweden.

In Rötter I found that there is a genealogy society for the Mariestad area named "Mariestadsbygdens släktforskarförening ". contact person is: Gunilla André,
her e-mail: gunillaandre%40swipnet.se

Gita

Tracy Boeldt
25-10-03, 21:22
Hi Gita,
I just tried that email address you posted about research in the Mariestad area and the email message came back. I just either the person no longer has the address or maybe it isn't the right one?
Tracy

Gita Wiklund
25-10-03, 22:33
Well, I don´t know why it doesn´t work with that address.
Try : gunilla.andre%40swipnet.se (or maybe she changed address.)

If that doesn´t work you could try to mail Västgötarötter contact person: johan.schold%40rixtele.com
ask him if he knows a contact for Mariestad genealogists, and tell him you tried with gunilla andre

Gita

kpaavola
27-10-03, 18:44
Thanks, Hasse, for including that parish link. That's just what I was looking for with regard to Tornio parish. Never thought to try the Finnish site as the English parish site on the Finnish Genealogical site has been down for so long.

Thanks again!

Tracy Boeldt
05-11-03, 01:27
Hi Gita,
I just wanted to let you know that the second email you gave me for Gunilla went through, but it's been almost two weeks now and no response. I haven't tried the other email address, but I have however, posted on the Rötter site (and got a response there). Also, I've contacted another genealogist in the area and he sent me some info today! I also took your advice about the "cause of death" question and emailed the Genealogical Society of Finland, but no response of yet from them. So, I wanted to thank you again for all your help!
Tracy