PDA

View Full Version : Häkkinen in US

eeva.hakkinen
18-12-09, 23:08
The following children of Fridolf Häkkinen (who himself stayed and died in Finland) have disappeared in the US:
1. Alma, b. 25.9.1844, d. 27.2.1918 (murdered)
2. Matilda, b. 23.10.1886, d. 17.11.1975 somewhere in the States, was married to Niilo Siikala
3. Edward, b. 1.8.1888, d. 1.4.1972 in Brooklyn, NY (SSDI)
4. Selma, b. 19.1.1890, d. 17.1.1920 USA
5. Oscar, b. 15.8.1901, married in USA with Tyyne Aho (previously Tammilaakso). They were living in Finland in 1980's, but I know of no descendants and never met them.

I have no info on where they lived in USA, but would be grateful for any sightings! If you need info about areas around Mikkeli, I might be of help.

Happy holidays to all!

Eeva

Karen Norwillo
19-12-09, 17:24
Eeva,
Here is a little of what I found on Ancestry. Mathilda Siikala died in Volutown, New London, CT. Niilo Siikala 4 Dec 1889, died same place 27 Feb 1976. I found arrivals for several of the Hakkinen as well as census on Edward and his wife Rachel and daughter Norma. Also naturalization cards and military cards for Edward. I'll post in 2 because of size. I found Alma and Mathilda on a list of Alien Detentions in 1907. This was done for several reasons and usually was temporary, often someone not there to meet them.
Karen

Karen Norwillo
19-12-09, 17:27
Here's the rest. You'll see both Alma and Selma appear on this manifest in 1909 going to NY.

Karen Norwillo
19-12-09, 18:24
I found an article written by a Hannele Niemi originally for the Finnish magazine Askel. It tells the story of Alma and Selma Hakkinen, but mostly about Alma's daughter Alma. Alma was not murdered, Selma was. Alma was married to Esa Kaukinen of Finnish Karelia. She died 5 days after baby Alma was born in 1918 in NY. Selma stepped in to care for the baby when Esa had to go to work in "the big forests" wherever that was. Selma was killed, along with several others, by a violent neighbor. Alma was left in a nearby Finnish church in Brooklyn and found by Betty Jansson. She was from Kuortane and had lost her own two daughters. She adopted baby Alma. Alma married a Russian man and had a son Bruce. Her husband left her. She eventually moved to Fly Creek, north of the city. She always hated her first name and took the name Lady. She became known as Lady Ostapeck and became a photographer. She eventually met her father and his new family. She made her first visit to Finland in the 1970's. If you Google "Lady Ostapeck and the Whispering Camera" you should be able to read the entire article. BTW, shouldn't Alma's birth year be 1884?

Karen Norwillo
19-12-09, 18:49
If you click on this website, you will find much info on Alma "Lady" Ostapeck, including pictures. Fascinating lady. www.ladyostapeck.com

eeva.hakkinen
19-12-09, 19:49
Karen, thank you SO much!!! I have not yet read your messages, but am real suprised to get such a good response to my first query! I will probably ask more when I have digested this. Thanks again!

Eeva

Karen Norwillo
19-12-09, 21:06
Eeva,
You're quite welcome. Alma "Lady" Ostapeck was certainly a unique person.
Very strong and resourceful as I can determine. Her son Bruce was born 27 Aug 1940 in Englewood, NJ. He died 30 Jun 2001 in Bassett Health Care facility near Oneonta, NY. His wife Aida Pantoja Ostapeck lived in Fly Creek. His father was Peter Ostapeck. This is from Bruce's obituary.

Esa Kaukinen moved to WA and remarried after Alma Hakkinen died in 1918. You'll see on his naturalization, wife Alma is deceased. Daughter Alma is in NJ. WWII Military Reg Card, he is back in Brooklyn.

eeva.hakkinen
19-12-09, 21:23
Karen, unbelievable treasure box of info! THANK YOU!

Karen Norwillo
19-12-09, 22:55
Eeva,
One more thing found. The arrival of Oskar Hakkinen on SS Regina 4/27/1923 bound for Copper Cliff, Ontario, Canada. Says to be a farmer.
Karen

eeva.hakkinen
19-12-09, 23:18
Thanks again, now I have more info of these disappered people than I ever could imagine getting! How could I repay? I'm rather good at reading old Swedish or Finnish documents, so if you ever have trouble with some, send them to me....

Karen Norwillo
20-12-09, 18:54
Thank you so much. I may use that offer in the future. Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy New Year.
Karen

Karen Norwillo
20-12-09, 20:00
I found two records of Rachel and Norma Hakkinen returning from visit to Finland. They are on lines 14-15. Looks like Rachel went to Turku to see her mother. On Norma's flight, it says it originated in Montreal.

eeva.hakkinen
20-12-09, 22:32
Hello Karen,
There was another interesting point in your last passenger record. There is Emil Hakkinen, carpenter, 31 yrs on line 3, with the same next of kin and address as Rachel. Fridolf had also a son called Emil, b. 1 June 1895, but I did not put him on my missing list, 'cos the only thing I knew about him was, that he was married (probably from his mother's or father's "deceased's estate document" or how you call it). It seems to me he had also emigrated to the States and been on a visit to what the emigrants used to call "the old country" traveling with his sister-in law, though many of the column titles are rather challenging to my old eyes.

Thank you again! Those people who disappeared into blue are coming back to life, thanks to you!

Happy holidays to you, too! I'll probably be bothering you again...

Eeva

Karen Norwillo
21-12-09, 17:39
I had found three other births in Jyväskylän for Fridolf Häkkinen in my original search of Hiski. 6.3.1892 Kaarle, 1.6.1895 Eemil and 27.1.1899 Onni Ilmari. I'll check into Emil more.

eeva.hakkinen
21-12-09, 20:33
Yes, Kaarle died 1893. Onni stayed in Finland and had a family, so I listed here only the ones that to my knowledge had emigrated. I did miss Emil from the list, as I had no idea what happened to him. Basically I know almost all members of the clan (descendants of Iivar Häkkinen, b. 1676) except the ones that disappeared either to Russia or to the big wild west. And I have problem with Onni, too, as I have no idea where in Finland the family lived and the info of the last 100 years is not readily available because of the privacy laws. But I am sure I can manage that when I put my mind to it - cannot do everything at the same time.

Thanks again for your input, I wonder where you dig up such a wealth of information!!!

Eeva

Karen Norwillo
21-12-09, 21:40
Most of the info came from Ancestry.com, Google searches, Hiski and US GenWeb sites.
I did find a previous arrival of Emil Hakkinen, along with Alma in 1915 on the Fredrik VIII. They are going to their sister Tilda in New York. That 1927 arrival says he was in US previouly 1915-1927 in Brooklyn. I couldn't find him in the 1920 census. I did find one Emil Hakkinen on the FL Death Index who died 1953 in Palm Beach, FL. Unfortunately, it doesn't give a date of birth or age.

Karen Norwillo
21-12-09, 23:34
I don't know if you looked at the Lady Ostapeck site. It's got great stories about her and pictures. She was born Feb 1918. The one is of Alma and her father, the other of her in Finland.

eeva.hakkinen
22-12-09, 00:12
Yes, I did look. Some stories you've found! Thankyou..thankyou.....

Karen Norwillo
23-12-09, 18:55
I found the birth records of all the Häkkinen children in the Jyväskylä church records on FFHA except Alma. There is an Alma born at the date you gave, but her parents are given as Sven Oskar Kankainen and Hilma Oikarinen. I checked all of 1883 and 1884, but couldn't find her. Unless she was born in another parish. If you need the churchbook images, I saved them. If not, I will delete them.
Karen

eeva.hakkinen
23-12-09, 23:19
Yes, basically I can get any Finnish material here, though my info about Fridolf's children came from a personal information record I ordered from the parish the family had last been living in. Those records you mentioned have come later to FFHA and I did not look into them - guess I trusted the official info. Thank you for pointing me that out! However it seems they had a daughter called Alma, so maybe she was born in another parish - or the her birth record somehow was dropped. That happened sometimes, too. Later info (1900's) is available only if you go to the local archive, which is not so simple when the "local" is far away. And of course if the people emigrated, it gets more difficult, so I am real happy about all the info you posted!

And now the last night before Xmas Eve is here, so guess have to get some sleep before my son comes with the family. I wish you very happy Xmas holidays and all the best for the starting year. We'll talk in the forum, I hope!

Eeva