PDA

View Full Version : Ilmari Wirkkala Tree 1948

weberog
29-12-09, 21:16
How common is it for a family to have a copy of this tree? My grandparents had a copy which I now have, but I do not recognize the names as being my immediate relatives. The one thing which strikes me is that my grandmother wrote in Juho Heikki Kentala's death date years after the tree was made (1957). Is someone on this forum related to him? Perhaps I can then find who he was to my family.
Thanks,
Cristine

cdahlin
30-12-09, 16:40
Did you enclose an image of the family tree? I did not see it.

The names Wirkkala and Kentala sound like they were from Kaustinen (Kaustby) in Finland. Do you know if the family lived in Finland or USA?

There are also Wirkkala families in Oregon.

Boris
30-12-09, 19:02
Susanna Johansdotter Kentala-Wirkkala-Kentala f. 23.05.1771 Kaustinen
Man: Elias Johansson Geddala-Järvelä-Kentala f. 01.01.1780 Kaustinen. d.07.08.1847 Kaustinen
child.
1.) Anna Eliasdotter f. 26.06.1811 Kaustinen
2.) Anders Eliasson f. 04.08.1813 Kaustinen
3.) Lisa Margaret (Greta) Eliasdotter (2) f. 16.11.1816 Kaustinen d. 17.01.1885
(2) Lisa Margaret Eliasdotter Geddala>Kaustinen
Man: Anders Henriksson Wirkkala-Kaustinen f. 04.09.1805 Veteli
Child.
1.) Lena Kaisa Andersdotter f. 05.08.1837 Kaustinen
2.) Maria Andersdotter f. 08.05.1840 Kaustinen
3.) Matts Andersson f. 04.07.1843 Kaustinen
4.) Susanna Lovisa Andersdotter f. 14.06.1846 Kaustinen
5.) Jonas Andersson f. 16.03.1849 Kaustinen
6.) Anna Andersdotter f. 18.04.1852 Kaustinen
7.) Matts Andersson f. 30.07.1855 Kaustinen
8.) Lisa Amalia Andersdotter f. 17.03.1856 Kaustinen.
Kirjoittanut Boris:)
Did you enclose an image of the family tree? I did not see it.

The names Wirkkala and Kentala sound like they were from Kaustinen (Kaustby) in Finland. Do you know if the family lived in Finland or USA?

There are also Wirkkala families in Oregon.

kivinen1
31-12-09, 00:01
weberog,

Use the search function at the top of these threads too, you may find more info that may make sense. I'm sure this is definitely a Kaustinen family, and by extraction, also possibly Naselle, Oregon and many other parts of OR / WA and the rest of the USA.

I see an ancestry.com entry for "George Henry Gentala" and I've seen the Kentala name as Gentala in other places too.

June Pelo
31-12-09, 00:53
I have most of this data in my database and am distantly connected. Some of the data can also be found in the Caino-Torp book. Also, a close descendant lives in Naselle - May Saari Johnson Adair. She has tons of data on Wirkkala, etc. A lot of it is also available in the Talko database.

June Pelo
31-12-09, 00:59
Here's May Adair standing in front of her Wirkkala family chart which covers an entire wall. She takes this chart to various genealogy meetings in the US.

kivinen1
31-12-09, 00:59
^ Very true June.

Let's keep our fingers and toes crossed that Talko gets up and running again soon!

weberog
31-12-09, 02:36
Thanks everyone. I have the tree on ancestry.com under the name Kuorikoski family tree. I don't have anything in GEDCOM format. My other tree on ancestry is weber family tree. I cannot find the connection between my trees. The Kuorikoski tree is from Kaustinen, and begins in the 1600's with Kuorikoski and Wintturi. There are many names and branches: Kentala, Wirkkala, Huntus, Forslund, Torppa, Penttila, Nikula, Rauma, Seppala, Kronqvist, Nordlund, Gadeke, Isokangas. Kuorikoski is the main name. I know Ilmari Wirkkala made this tree, and I'm wondering if it was somewhat "mass" produced. My grandmother spoke of having family in Clatsop, Oregon and Spokane, Washington, but I don't recall any names. Her name was Adele Marie Steinback (Stenbacka) and she married Charles Conrad Tuominen. Adele's was born in 1907 in Hancock, Michigan to Johan Wilho Stenbacka/Steinback (b.abt 1880 Hancock, Michigan) and Aina Marie (maiden name unknown). I know the Stenbackas (Steinbacks, Andersons) were from Veteli, so I believe the connection to the Kuorikoski tree may be with Aina Marie (b. abt 1888 Finland). Unfortunately, all I know of her is that her mother's name was Sofia (b. abt 1871 Finland). Sofia was apparently married three times, and the only husband of hers I know of is John Gustafsson whom she married around 1895 near Mesabe, Minnesota. I believe he was the second husband - I do not know whom she married in Finland when she was very young. Sofia had three children with John Gustafson: Lydia (married Martin Monson), Wilma (married John Nestor Johnson), and Joonas. Sofia had another daughter born in Finland before Aina. Her name was Sofia (b,. abt 1886 Finland), as well, and she married Paul Paulson. The elder Sofia and all but Aina lived in Wasington and Oregon. Around 1910, Aina and John Steinback lived in Butte, Silver Bow, Montana, USA. However, They settled back in Chisholm, Minnesota. I find myself stuck without knowing maiden names. Other random names I heard my grandmother speak of as family are Kangas, Walitalo, and Salmela. I cannot solve this puzzle

June Pelo
31-12-09, 03:04
The Kuorikoski family goes back to ca 1495 in Vetil and Kaustby:
Nils Olofsson Backe-Backala, c1495
Olof, c. 1530
Sigfrid, c. 1550
Olof, c. 1585
Gabriel Backe, c1610
Gabriel Kuorikoski, c1635 He married twice - had children:
Margeta, 1658
Olof, 1666
Hans
Maria, 1675

If you have access to the Caino-Torp book you'll get a lot of data on the family up to the 1800s. And, yes, they did use many names such as you mentioned. I'm attaching something about the Wirkkala family that I received from May Adair. If you send me a private message with your e-mail address, I'll see if May can help you sort this out.

cdahlin
31-12-09, 09:24
I have a database with Charles F. Wirkkala, b. 1 Jul 1893 in Kaustinen, d. 1 Oct 1971 in Oregon. He married one of my relatives; Ellen Johanna Johnson. I have the names of their children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren living in Astoria. I think I could get in contact with them if it helps you.

There is also a George Wirkkala in the same area who married another of my relatives there; Dorothy A. Rinell. George may be about 90 years old today if living. Dorothy died in 1991. I have their children and grandchildren in my database.

If Hasse has the time to put my latest GEDCOM into Talko Genealogy this information is included.

weberog
31-12-09, 19:23
Thank you Cdahlin. If possible, could you ask if they are relations of Juho Heikki Kentala and his wife Olga Maria Wirkkala who lived in the area? They had many children; the last born in 1932. I wish to discover how this family was related to Adele Steinback-Tuomi. Adele moved to Spokane, Washington and then somewhere in Oregon to be near relatives in the late 1970's or early 1980's. Unfortunately, Adele was developing Dementia and Alzheimer's at the time. I do not know whom she was seeking. Possibly some of the people I mentioned in my previous post. I will send you my email and look for photos to scan.
Thank you again,
Cris

Boris
01-01-10, 09:31
Hi Weberog.
Juhani Huntus born 15.10.1793 Kaustinen d. 10.05.1824 Kaustinen, Huntus.
Priita (Brita) Kaarina Känsälä> Huntus> Luomala born 28.01.1799 Kaustinen.
kirjoittanut Boris
Thanks everyone. I have the tree on ancestry.com under the name Kuorikoski family tree. I don't have anything in GEDCOM format. My other tree on ancestry is weber family tree. I cannot find the connection between my trees. The Kuorikoski tree is from Kaustinen, and begins in the 1600's with Kuorikoski and Wintturi. There are many names and branches: Kentala, Wirkkala, Huntus, Forslund, Torppa, Penttila, Nikula, Rauma, Seppala, Kronqvist, Nordlund, Gadeke, Isokangas. Kuorikoski is the main name. I know Ilmari Wirkkala made this tree, and I'm wondering if it was somewhat "mass" produced. My grandmother spoke of having family in Clatsop, Oregon and Spokane, Washington, but I don't recall any names. Her name was Adele Marie Steinback (Stenbacka) and she married Charles Conrad Tuominen. Adele's was born in 1907 in Hancock, Michigan to Johan Wilho Stenbacka/Steinback (b.abt 1880 Hancock, Michigan) and Aina Marie (maiden name unknown). I know the Stenbackas (Steinbacks, Andersons) were from Veteli, so I believe the connection to the Kuorikoski tree may be with Aina Marie (b. abt 1888 Finland). Unfortunately, all I know of her is that her mother's name was Sofia (b. abt 1871 Finland). Sofia was apparently married three times, and the only husband of hers I know of is John Gustafsson whom she married around 1895 near Mesabe, Minnesota. I believe he was the second husband - I do not know whom she married in Finland when she was very young. Sofia had three children with John Gustafson: Lydia (married Martin Monson), Wilma (married John Nestor Johnson), and Joonas. Sofia had another daughter born in Finland before Aina. Her name was Sofia (b,. abt 1886 Finland), as well, and she married Paul Paulson. The elder Sofia and all but Aina lived in Wasington and Oregon. Around 1910, Aina and John Steinback lived in Butte, Silver Bow, Montana, USA. However, They settled back in Chisholm, Minnesota. I find myself stuck without knowing maiden names. Other random names I heard my grandmother speak of as family are Kangas, Walitalo, and Salmela. I cannot solve this puzzle

Boris
01-01-10, 11:20
Juho Kaustinen 00.00.0000
Heikki Juhonsson Kaustinen 00.00.0000
Knut Henriksson 00.00.1621 Veteli, Kaustinen
Knut Knutsson Wintter born 00.00.1621 Veteli, Kaustinen
Maddier Helga Mattsdotter born 00.00.1618 Veteli. d. 25.01.1694
Thomas Knutsson born 00.00.1653 Veteli Kaustinen d. 25.03.1723 Kaustinen
Maddier:
1.) Lena Mattsdotter >Winttur-Kuorikoski born ?
2.) Karin Mattsdotter Winttur-Kuorikoski born 00.00.1662 Veteli. d. 01.05.1707
3.) Margareta Mattsdotter Persson> Winttur-Kuorikoski born 00.00.1658. d. 06.12.1730
Childgren:
1.) Maria Thomasdotter born 21.02.1675. d. 15.05.1695 Kaustinen
2.) My ancestor Daniel Tomasson 00.00.1681 Kaustinen. d. 00.00.1727 Kruunupyy
3.) Karin Thomasdotter 20.08.1683 Kaustinen. d. 21.08.1697 Kaustinen
1.) Thomas Thomasson 14.12.01685
2.) Hindric Thomasson 09.10.1687
3.) Anna Thomasdotter 10.10.1688
4.) Johan Thomasson 29.12.1689
5.) Matti Thomasson 15.02.1691 Veteli. d. 02.11.1763 Veteli, Kaustinen,Kuorikoski
6.) Erkki (Eric) Thomasson 24.03.1692. d. 28.05.1745
7.) Margareta Thomasdotter 06.01.1695
8.) Anna Thomasdotter 30.11.1698
9.) Valpuri (Walborg) Thomasdotter 09.02.1700. d. 29.11.1762
10.) Michel Thomasson 26.07.1703.
kirjoittanut Boris

kivinen1
01-01-10, 20:33
Thank you Cdahlin. If possible, could you ask if they are relations of Juho Heikki Kentala and his wife Olga Maria Wirkkala who lived in the area? They had many children; the last born in 1932. I wish to discover how this family was related to Adele Steinback-Tuomi. Adele moved to Spokane, Washington and then somewhere in Oregon to be near relatives in the late 1970's or early 1980's. Unfortunately, Adele was developing Dementia and Alzheimer's at the time. I do not know whom she was seeking. Possibly some of the people I mentioned in my previous post. I will send you my email and look for photos to scan.
Thank you again,
Cris

Cris, just so you know, my post above re:
I see an ancestry.com entry for "George Henry Gentala" and I've seen the Kentala name as Gentala in other places too.

This is a literal English translation for "Juho Heikki Kentala"; that same tree shows Kentala and Gentala on the same branches.

June Pelo
01-01-10, 23:55
Thank you again,
Cris

I have Juho Heikki Kentala and his wife Olga Maria Wirkkala in my database, but no further info. about them except names of their 14 children.

cdahlin
02-01-10, 20:16
Thank you again,
Cris

Your message has been forwarded to my cousin in Astoria. In a couple of days I hope to have an answer. The Wirkkalas are probably her father's cousins.