PDA

View Full Version : Heiniluoma/Luoma + Honkinen/Heikkinen

LoriAnn Pawlik
30-12-09, 15:21
Hi all,
I've done quite a bit of research on my side and come to find out, my husband's side has one of his Grandmother's who is Finnish. His family does not know much about their history at all so I'm asking for help, please. These last names seem to be so common and so much time has passed that this will be a bit of a challenge.

Known - His Grandmother is Gertrude Luoma born in the US on 19 Nov. 1914, d. 5 Mar. 1991 to her parents from Finland -
Dad - Hermann Arvid Luoma or Heiniluoma from unknown, b/d. unknown
Mom - Saima Frederika Honkinen/Heikinen unknown spelling- from possibly Laitila. Saima was born 21 Aug. 1891 somewhere in Finland and died in May 1982 in Alabama.

Stories are that once upon a time, Arvid went to work in a logging camp in the Pacific NW and Saima was passed off as his son or brother so that she could also live in the camp. She worked as the camp's cook. Apparently there was quite an age difference between the two. The family is not confident where else they lived but perhaps Illinois. There is a mention of a Nestor, but nobody knows how he fits in.

I would appreciate any thoughts.
Happy New Year - just a bit early!
Lori
ps. I think it would be really interesting if my old relatives and my husband's lived near each other in Finland!

kivinen1
31-12-09, 00:28
^ Yes, you might even be cousins! Don't worry, that happens quite often in Finnish families. ;)

As far as the surname Heiniluoma, there are many that come from Teuva - Ístermark, so that could be a spot to remember for now.

LoriAnn Pawlik
31-12-09, 04:39
Thank you! I will be on the lookout for that connection. :)
Lori