PDA

View Full Version : Mines in Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Karen Douglas
19-01-10, 01:21
Hi,
I have a relative who emigrated from Finland to the U.S. between 1920 and 1925. I have just learned that he spent "a couple of years" working in a mine somewhere near Ironwood - or Dollar Bay - in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. My questions are these: Is there a museum, or library, that maintains a master list of the names of employees who worked in the mines during that time frame? And, if so, can anyone provide me with an email address, or mailing address, where I may inquire about this individual? Thanks! Karen.

Denise
19-01-10, 04:42
Hi Karen,
You might try this website. http://www.lib.mtu.edu/mtuarchives/overview.aspx I have contacted them before and they have proven to be very informative and helpful. As far as employment papers, etc. I've actually heard from relatives of mine in the Upper Peninsula that items such as this have been found in garage/yard sales...:(

Best Regards,
Good Luck,
Denise

Denise
19-01-10, 18:54
Hi Karen,
What was this relatives name? I have a couple books that may have info.

Best Regards,
Denise

Karen Douglas
19-01-10, 22:36
Hi Denise,

Thanks so much for your suggestion! I am going to email the MTU Archives as soon as I get some more information. Right now, I'm waiting for some additional details: The correct spelling of the man's name and the year he emigrated from Finland to the U.S. I truly appreciate your help! Karen :)

D J Granlund
20-01-10, 16:32
Hi Denise,
In an old search I have been looking for Juho Tukala. He went to Palmer to his brother in April 1913. Eventually his brother went back at least as far as England in July 1918. I haven't found evidence he made it back to Finland. I think Juho went to work in the mines as Jaakko did. If you would look for any mention in your books of Juho I would be pleased. I tried to contact the mining companies to see if they had old employment records but it was a dead end. Thanks, David.

Denise
20-01-10, 21:28
Hi David,
Sorry; nobody by the name Tukala is listed at all in the books I have. :(

Best Regards,
Denise

D J Granlund
21-01-10, 13:43
Denise, Thanks for checking. David