PDA

View Full Version : Help needed: Otto Halminen at Ancestry.com & his tombstone in Astoria, OR

Ruokoja
19-01-10, 02:37
Hello!

I'm searching for information about Otto Halminen, b. 26 Jan 1884 in Karstula, Finland, d. 3 Apr 1925 USA. His wife's name was Hilma.

I'm interested in his life in the US since his descendants don't know his death place or where he is buried. Today I spent many hours online searching any possible hint of his last location and actually found it, or at least so I believe. Now I need help to check some records at Ancestry.com where I don't have access to.
Some background information:

His first arrival (from Kälviä, Finland) to the US was 26 Sep 1906 (Ellis Island) and second 1 Oct 1913 (Ellis Island). Those records I can access.

According to private letters, he was in Bingham Canyon, Salt Lake City, Utah in 1917. Probably working in the copper mine.

Records I cannot access:

Ancestry.com:
?Otto Halminen, residence: Silver Bow, Montana <World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 [Military]> ROLL MT29
?Otto Dohannes Halminen, arrival: Halifax, Nova Scotia <Canada, Ocean Arrivals (Form 30A), 1919-1924 [Immigration & emigration]>

http://www.kindredtrails.com/MT_Silver_Bow.html
--> www.archives.com: 1 Vital Record Found for O. Halminen in US

Can someone check them for me, please? I'm not sure whether the first Otto or the second Otto (Dohannes should probably be Johannes) are the person I'm looking for. If yes, I wonder what he did in Canada...

However, I found out that "my" Otto Halminen is buried at Ocean View Cemetery, Astoria, Clatsop County, Oregon, USA.

Again, to check at Ancestry.com:
Otto Holminen, death: 1925 Clatsop <Oregon Death Index, 1903-98 [Birth, Marriage & Death]>

Please note that the last name is written Holminen, with o.

I'm also looking for someone who could possibly take a photo of his tombstone for his descendants. There is not one online, I checked. Though, I don't know if there is a tombstone on his grave. But it shouldn't be hard to find out. For the person I could as exchange take a photo of a tombstone at a cemetery in Finland, for instance.

Thanks!

kivinen1
19-01-10, 07:03
Not knowing if this is THE Otto you are looking for, I did see this:

From the "Death Certificates of Finns - Clatsop County" the county where Astoria, Oregon is:

HOLMINEN, OTTO -- Age 43, born in Finland. Died Apr. 3, 1925, Astoria, Ore. Husband of Hilma. Logging. Burial at Ocean view Cemetery.

The age seems to be off by 1 year, but the wife's name, Hilma, is correct.

Unfortunately, his is not one of the headstones listed at Find A Grave.com

You may be able to write to the Administrator of the cemetery and see if they can e-mail a jpg of the grave to you?

http://web2.userinstinct.com/36214552-astoria-city-of-ocean-view-cemetery-administration-ofc.htm

p.s. I don't have any plans to head to Astoria in the near future, but if I do, I'll bring my camera with me.

If you contact the cemetery, it would be good to get a very good description on exactly where in the cemetery the grave is.

I would not need to receive anything for this, BUT I would be interested in getting a photograph of the tomb that is in the floor of the Karvia church where one of my great great [x?] grandfathers is buried. I still wonder why he was buried in the church floor? I always thought that only "special" or "important" people were given that kind of burial... maybe he was?

Ruokoja
19-01-10, 07:12
From the "Death Certificates of Finns - Clatsop County" the county where Astoria, Oregon is:

Unfortunately, his is not one of the headstones listed at Find A Grave.com

You may be able to write to the Administrator of the cemetery and see if they can e-mail a jpg of the grave to you?

http://web2.userinstinct.com/36214552-astoria-city-of-ocean-view-cemetery-administration-ofc.htm

Yep, I'll contact him/her unless I don't get any help from the Find-a-grave-forum - or here. Regarding the Otto Holminen line above from genealogia.fi, is that all that there is at ancestry.com death record?

Ruokoja
19-01-10, 07:16
NB, there are two Ocean view cemeteries: in Warrenton and in Astoria, OR. Otto Halminen rests in Astoria. But anyway. :)

kivinen1
19-01-10, 07:24
I think the Warrenton listing is ONLY for the offices. I could be wrong.

I don't have access to ancestry.com, but several of our members here do. I'll be sure one of them sees this.

kivinen1
19-01-10, 07:50
Ruokoja,

I wanted to also point out that I had edited the above posting [#2] for content.

Same wife name, one year off on age etc.

Also the end of the post I said some additional things as well.

Ruokoja
19-01-10, 14:44
Thanks, Ilmari!

About your relative's grave in church, could it be possible that the family had bought it for to get one in the church?

Yes of course, it would be my job to get the information of the exact location of the grave and then furnish someone with that information who could go and take a photo for me. :)

Oh, and one more hint: his descendants told me that his last job was working in the woods, so "logging" would fit into the description even though the age seems to be off by 1 year, as Ilmari pointed out.

Karen Norwillo
19-01-10, 17:12
I sent the manifests and WWI Draft Card and info from Death Index and Death Certificates of Finns in Clatsop, OR to Ilmari this morning as I got "locked-out" again. I notified Hasse. The Oceanview Cemetery is probably the one in Astoria. You can get the address on Find-a-Grave cemetry search. Search by cemetery name. There are several choices. I have asked someone on RAOGK who will look for an obit for Otto. Unfortunately, there is no-one listed for Clatsop county to do tombstone pics, if one exits.
I had gotten a request on your behalf from Ilmari.
Karen

kivinen1
19-01-10, 20:05
Attached is the Draft Card, manifest and info from the OR Death Index.
Otto Holminen died 3 Apr 1925 in Astoria, Clatsop, OR. says Cert#47. From Death Certificates of Finns in Clatsop, OR
Holminen, Otto, age 43, born Finland. Died April 3,1925 in Astoria, OR. Husband of Helma, logging, burial at Oceanview Cemetery. I'll see if I can get someone to check if there's a tombstone. I'll let you know.
I am also attaching another manifest for an Otto Halminen and Ludvig Ruokoja from Kelvia, Finland arriving 1 Oct 1913 on "Olympic", destination Carbonada, WA.The wife's name for Otto matches his obit.
Karen

Here are the manifest attachments, page 1 and 2:

kivinen1
19-01-10, 20:07
Here are the other attachments which include the WWI draft card:

Ruokoja
19-01-10, 20:27
Karen and Ilmari, thank you!!!

Now I can see that Otto Johannes is not the Otto I'm searching for.

The image of the registration card is pretty tiny when opened but handwriting is readable, though. I'd still ask if it is possible to get it any bigger?

Why would he be in a draft registration card anyway? Was it mandatory for everyone or does this mean that he was a naturalized citizen of the US? I think he didn't fight in the WW1.

I googled the registration card form and found one that is readable, so no need to do anything for that.

Karen Norwillo
19-01-10, 20:50
You didn't have to be a citizen to register. It was required for all men between a certain age. It does not mean they ever served. If a man was in the US in 1917-1918 and fell in that age group, he had to register.

I found the address for the Oceanview Cemetery, 1095 Duane Street, Astoria, OR 97103. This is probably the main office where records are kept.
Did you notice on that manifest from 1913, there is a Ludvig Ruokoja just below Otto. Both from Kälviä and going to Carbonado, WA.

BeverlyCooper
22-01-10, 17:01
The Clatsop County Historical Society in Astoria, Oregon has a lot of genealogical resources. I suggest you contact them and see if they can help. Liisa Penner is the person you want to talk with. She can be reached at archivist*cumtux.org. I visit Astoria several times a year and would be happy to help with a photograph of the grave if you have difficulty obtaining one. The cemetery is in Warrenton and the office, at the cemetery, has a book in the lobby for locating graves. The Clatsop County Library has a wonderful newspaper index for every name ever mentioed in an Astoria paper going back to the 1800's. You have to visit the library to print copies of the articles, from microfilm, but I would imagine they had a death notice printed in the newspaper. The funeral homes in Astoria also have records going back to 1922. You can obtain a death certificate from the Oregon State Archives in Salem, Oregon. I'm not sure what they charge to copy one, but if you are not in a hurry I can pick that up for you also. They are free if you copy them yourself. Let me know if I can help.
Beverly

Karen Norwillo
22-09-10, 17:45
Ruojoka,
I heard from the volunteer for RAOGK in OR. She had been away from searches for several months, but will look for a copy of the obit if you still want it, or maybe you already got it as it's been several months.

Karen Norwillo
03-11-10, 18:39
I finally heard back from my contact and unfortunately, she was unable to find any obituary for Otto.:(

Ruokoja
04-11-10, 01:16
Karen,

thank you for your efforts and my apologies for not answering to your previous message.

Ok, there's no obit but what I still would like to find out is that whether there is some kind of grave marker, stone maybe, and could someone take a photo for his grandchildren.

I finally heard back from my contact and unfortunately, she was unable to find any obituary for Otto.:(

BeverlyCooper
04-11-10, 02:55
Otto was buried at Oceanview Cemetery in Warrenton, OR on 4 April 1925 according to E. B. Hughes funeral home records and the date and place recorded on his death certificate. Unfortunately there was no grave marker placed on the grave and the burial records have been lost or never recorded with the city of Astoria who owns this cemetery. Their is no way to locate his grave according to the cemetery. I have talked with several people at the city of Astoria and the cemetery and the best we can do is know that he is buried somewhere in Block 41. I will be in Astoria next week and will take a photo for you of Block 41. Sadly Otto's grave site was among several lost during the spring of 1925. Someone at the city government was not doing their job properly at this time.

Ruokoja
04-11-10, 03:18
Hi Beverly,

I would appreciate a photo of that Block 41. Thank you!

P.S. I tried to find a cemetery map of the Oceanview Cemetery and the best I could find was a satellite picture by Google Maps. Is it possible to show on the map where the Block 41 is located?

Otto was buried at Oceanview Cemetery in Warrenton, OR on 4 April 1925 according to E. B. Hughes funeral home records and the date and place recorded on his death certificate. Unfortunately there was no grave marker placed on the grave and the burial records have been lost or never recorded with the city of Astoria who owns this cemetery. Their is no way to locate his grave according to the cemetery. I have talked with several people at the city of Astoria and the cemetery and the best we can do is know that he is buried somewhere in Block 41. I will be in Astoria next week and will take a photo for you of Block 41. Sadly Otto's grave site was among several lost during the spring of 1925. Someone at the city government was not doing their job properly at this time.

BeverlyCooper
04-11-10, 15:04
I was told block 41 is near the entrance to the cemetery, lower portion, just past the flag pole but I will try to get a plot map. The plot map should show all the unmarked graves in section 41.

BeverlyCooper
15-11-10, 01:14
Oceanview cemetery in Warrenton/Astoria has no burial record for Otto Holminen. His death certificate and funeral home record state he is buried at Oceanview but this event never took place. The city of Astoria ownes the cemetery and they gave me access to their origional hand written burial registrars and Otto is not buried at Oceanview. I do find this a bit curious as someone paid for his casket, embalming, hearse, opening a grave and a grave marker, but the grave does not exist. I checked the other cemeteries in the area to see if he was mistakenly buried elsewhere and I could find no grave in the Astoria area. There was also no removal record. Has anyone else ever run into this problem. The local newspaper, The Astoria Evening Budget, does have an article about his death which I will send in a private email.