PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of word "ursinnig" ?

Denise
06-02-10, 21:34
Just a quick question. When I used google translate tool this word "ursinnig" came up with these translations!
1. FURIOUS
2. ENRAGED
3. FRENETIC
4. PHRENETIC
5. RABID
6. DEMONIAC
7. DEMONIACAL
Can anyone tell me what the meaning is...or do I have a little devil in my ancestry?

Thank-you,
Denise :D

Kaarina
06-02-10, 22:19
Here also a few words to.
Ursinnig= Angry, pissed
http://sv.wiktionary.org/wiki/ursinnig

Kaarina:rolleyes:

kivinen1
06-02-10, 23:42
I'd say the best modern day usage would be "furious", or any of them really!

Denise
07-02-10, 00:13
What's funny is that I am working on ancestral tables and these are comments that were noted on two children in one family. Maybe I better contact the person that gave me this lineage. I'm wondering if they got rabies or something, but there's no death date...:confused: I'll let you know what I find out. It was back in the early 1700's...
Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,
Denise

kivinen1
07-02-10, 01:01
Denise, please do follow up with this.

I'd be curious as to the context of it's usage.

Denise
07-02-10, 01:34
I just emailed the person who sent me this file and I'm sure I will hear back from him shortly. I'm curious what it means. :eek:

Denise

eeva.hakkinen
07-02-10, 07:27
I'd say in this context it means he or she was having some kind of mental problems. In all living languages the meanings tend to change a bit over the years (like mad coming to mean pissed). It definitely does not denote anything demoniac, Finns were not very superstitious, at least not enough to believe that some kind of devil spirit could be sitting within you and needed to be exorcized.

Denise
07-02-10, 15:02
Hi, and thank-you to all of your responses. I just received this answer:
"I checked with two native Swedish speaking persons (In Finland the other in Sweden) and both said it means “very angry”, however in the old days may have been used in the church records to explain that such a person is “mad, crazy or mentally deficient”." So, everyone was correct...glad it's not a direct line of my father's! :rolleyes:

Best Regards,
Denise