PDA

View Full Version : The Great Petition in 1899

Jaska Sarell
06-02-10, 22:26
522 931 signatures were collected in eleven days in early March 1899 in a petition against the February Manifest by emperor Nikolai II.
The delegation bringing the petition was not accepted audience to the emperor, and the name collection was returned to Helsinki and is kept in the
National Archives.
This week they have digitized the petition pages ( link (http://digi.narc.fi/digi/dosearch.ka?atun=230588.KA) )
You may try to find relatives' names there.
1. Select the province (lääni), and you get list of parishes (Finnish names).
2. After selection click the link "Aineisto on talletettu digitaaliarkistoon" and you get the numbered list of the sections.

Sometimes the names seem to be written by one member of the family or maybe someone else, but some seem to be authentic.

June, I noticed plenty of Pelo names in Nedervetil (Alaveteli).

:) Jaska

kivinen1
06-02-10, 23:35
Thanks Jaska!

Lot's of family names there.

EDIT: Hej Jaska, are you going to post this in Finnish and Swedish over at Suku Forum?

Thanks!

Jaska Sarell
06-02-10, 23:56
Ilmari,

Thanks to Juha's thread (http://suku.genealogia.fi/showthread.php?t=9506) at Suku Forum I passed the info here.

kivinen1
07-02-10, 00:59
Well then, THANK YOU for being the messenger!

I found my paternal grandfather's signature [so far] plus most of the Nedervetil folks.

Parkano

June Pelo
07-02-10, 02:36
I thought my great grandfather's name would be there - but I didn't see it. Anders Mattsson Pelo and wife Greta Sofia.

I was going to check Karleby/Kokkola for my other grandparents, but there are too many pages to go through.

I couldn't help but notice the handwriting - my father went to school in Finland - so he formed his letters just like those on these lists. Looks just like his handwriting.

seele01
09-02-10, 00:50
Found my great grandmother and great aunts/uncles!

Thanks for the link, Jaska! I have had trouble with the Finnish Digital Archives...because they seem to be adding so much material but figuring out what material is genealogically interesting is difficult for someone like me who doesn't speak any Finnish.

kivinen1
09-02-10, 06:34
I thought my great grandfather's name would be there - but I didn't see it. Anders Mattsson Pelo and wife Greta Sofia.

I was going to check Karleby/Kokkola for my other grandparents, but there are too many pages to go through.

I couldn't help but notice the handwriting - my father went to school in Finland - so he formed his letters just like those on these lists. Looks just like his handwriting.

June,

Look at the top right of page 7.

I see Anders Mattss. Pelo

Then look at page 8, Greta Pelo is there.

None of my own are written together as "family groups"... seems she was waiting in line to sign and maybe being a little chatty with some of the other Pelo folk. :cool:

Jaska Sarell
09-02-10, 18:55
I have had trouble with the Finnish Digital Archives...because they seem to be adding so much material but figuring out what material is genealogically interesting is difficult for someone like me who doesn't speak any Finnish.

The NA has recently received funds from national budget for digitizing. That's why a lot of material is now coming in.
The site is rather awkward to browse even for Finnish speakers. I just tried to search court protocols to find a certain court meeting in Pedersöre in 1643. Used search word tuomiokirja to get here (http://digi.narc.fi/digi/dosearch.ka?amtun=36048.KA). Two pages forward to find Pohjanmaa and had this (http://www.narc.fi:8080/VakkaWWW/Selaus.action?kuvailuTaso=SARJA&avain=213199.KA). Selected the years 1640-1644, and had a page that stated that the page is available digitized (hence the link to digitized material "Aineisto on talletettu digitaaliarkistoon") and got the five year protocols in 327 pages. Went on and on to find the page I was looking for. The left side of image 194 (http://digi.narc.fi/digi/fullpic.ka?kuid=3705376&zoom=1&x=1&y=1&sx=400&sy=400). Those having Hyytinen ancestors from Lappajärvi may try to read the lower part. Anyway that lists brothers Simon, Joseph, Erich, Carll, Hendrich and Isac Olufsson and nephew Staffan Eskelsson.

June Pelo
09-02-10, 21:05
June,

Look at the top right of page 7.

I see Anders Mattss. Pelo

Then look at page 8, Greta Pelo is there.

None of my own are written together as "family groups"... seems she was waiting in line to sign and maybe being a little chatty with some of the other Pelo folk. :cool:

I'll have to look again later - am up to my eyeballs in two big searches now that take up all my time..

Thanks.

June Pelo
10-02-10, 01:27
I took a break and looked them up - and found my ggrandfather and his whole family there, except for my grandfather who had already gone to America. I recognized lots of names and I think the entire village signed that petition. Sent the site to lots of relatives - they can scan through and look for some of their own relatives.

seele01
10-02-10, 16:53
Thanks for the tutorial, Jaska! With help like that, I am slowly figuring out how to navigate the site properly. It helps to have google.com's translator in another browser window, to translate the document titles.

That is interesting that digitizing was placed into Finland's budget this year. I was looking through their recently digitized stuff on Porvoo, and I found a document from the year 1401 that they digitized! I could hardly make out more than a few letters, let alone words. Freakin' awesome!

JenniferRipley
10-02-10, 17:17
Thanks Jaska
And to Rob how can you set Google translator for those manually written documents?
Jennifer

seele01
10-02-10, 17:53
Have another browser window open to -
http://translate.google.com/
Then when on the Finnish Digital Archives, you see something you think might be interesting, but you dont know what it is, for example -

Yleisiä asiakirjoja

Asiakirjoja

Helsingin ja Porvoon kapunkien tullitili 1616-1616 (225b)

Just copy and paste that into the google translator, and you get -

General documents

Documents

Helsinki and Porvoo kapunkien customs accounts 1616-1616 (225b)

Doing this, it helps you get an idea of what a certain item might be. The translator isn't perfect, but you can generally infer what something is, and if it is worth looking through it.

June Pelo
10-02-10, 21:32
I sent the site to a cousin in Finland who's with the Ministry of Culture and Education and he's delighted - said he spent all day checking for various relatives around Finland. Glad I could tell him something he didn't already know!

Jaska Sarell
10-02-10, 23:00
Rob,

Without a typo in the original you would have got a better translation:

Helsingin ja Porvoon kaupunkien tullitili 1616-1616 (225b)
Cities of Helsinki and Porvoo customs accounts 1616-1616 (225b)

granskare
16-02-10, 20:27
I'm told he is a relly but I think everybody claims him :D

Jaska Sarell
16-02-10, 21:35
Chuck, are you sure that's the Iso-Antti ("Big Andy") ?

granskare
17-02-10, 04:09
that's what Margareta told me...Isotalo Antti the terror of the county but he reformed after some years in prison...his son by the same name was a jaeger who trained in Germany...but I have no independent knowledge...my grandmother's mother is Valborg Eliasdotter Huhtala, b. 15 Nov 1841 Alaharma, Vuoksi, Huhtala. Maybe this will urge me on to check hiski...I'm told Alaharma books have been lost in fire.
Chuck :)

kivinen1
17-02-10, 06:45
For those interested, he is on the right in this photograph, I believe?

granskare
17-02-10, 06:48
Or perhaps the left ;)

kivinen1
17-02-10, 07:06
Well, it is true that both of them are named Antti.

But in my very large Valokuvan taide: Suomalainen valokuva 1842 - 1992, it says:

Julia Widgren
Antti Rannanjärvi ja Antti Isotalo
Vaasa 1869
Albumiiinivedos
90 x 66 mm

Then on another photo, I can clearly see the difference between J.L. Runeberg and Z. Topelius... the title reads left to right as the viewer sees the photograph, so I suppose the Iso-Antti is actually the one on the right.

granskare
17-02-10, 07:09
it is always good to have evidence such as you present..so Antti is on the right :)

June Pelo
17-02-10, 17:05
Where did they ever find chains with such big links? I've never seen chains put around the neck - usually the hands and feet are chained. Were they that dangerous?

granskare
17-02-10, 19:06
June, check this image...I added text but I got the image from online, someplace

Jaska Sarell
17-02-10, 19:38
Well, it is true that both of them are named Antti.

But in my very large Valokuvan taide: Suomalainen valokuva 1842 - 1992, it says:

Julia Widgren
Antti Rannanjärvi ja Antti Isotalo
Vaasa 1869
Albumiiinivedos
90 x 66 mm

Then on another photo, I can clearly see the difference between J.L. Runeberg and Z. Topelius... the title reads left to right as the viewer sees the photograph, so I suppose the Iso-Antti is actually the one on the right.

Finnish Wikipedia article (http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antti_Isotalo) has the names in the same order, but oddly the English Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antti_Isotalo) has switched the order. Anyway they have Antti Isotalo's later picture as well.

His paternal grandmother (Saara Heikintytär {Sara Henriksdotter} Pirttimäki) was born 18 Apr 1757 in Lappajärvi, and her mother has roots from Karvonen, Storpellinen, Lillpellinen, Lilltarvonen and Hyytinen. I don't know more, but some of you can claim his relationship through these.

BTW. His namesake the jaeger was his grandson.

granskare
18-02-10, 02:40
:) I also saw the wiki articles, one showed isotalo as the guy on the left and the other was the other way 'round...:)