PDA

View Full Version : Hulkko, Hulkkonen, Kiilunen, Mattson

Plain Ann
02-03-10, 20:39
I am searching for Canadian and American information on my grandparents.

My grandfather, Johan Matt's son Hulkkonen, was born November 28, 1970 in Jalasjarvi. According to Finnish church records he left Finland in 1890, and supposedly arrived in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan via Canada. He shows up on church records as arriving in the Hancock area of Michigan in 1891. The family that remained in Finland apparently relocated to Katajmaki and took that farm name.

I was told that he came to an uncle in the Copper Country. But, the trail on what he did and where he went between arriving in America from Finland, and his marriage showing up on church records in Sault Ste Marie, MI ends there.

My grandmother, Liisa Matt's daughter Killunen, was born September 22, 1874 in Lappajarvi. I don't know when she left Finland, but she arrived in America in Sault Ste. Marie in 1900, likely via Canada. And, shows on church records in Sault Ste. Marie, MI with her marriage to my grandfather.

I'd like to fill in the blanks...

One clue I have is the address for family of my grandmother in Canada. I wrote to that address, but got no response. Another is the attached picture of my grandfather with a man the current family can't identify. My grandfather is seated on the left...

I have the Finnish church records for both families back to the 1600s.

Jaska Sarell
02-03-10, 22:01
Checked Lappajärvi communion book 1894-1903.
Liisa still had holy communion there on 2 July 1899 together with many other family members. No other remarks after that, but those markings were no longer so complete for anyone.

:) Jaska

Plain Ann
03-03-10, 13:28
Checked Lappajärvi communion book 1894-1903.
Liisa still had holy communion there on 2 July 1899 together with many other family members. No other remarks after that, but those markings were no longer so complete for anyone.

:) Jaska
Thank you... That is fantastic information!