PDA

View Full Version : Mikkola family in Lohtaja

Janel
25-04-10, 21:57
Hello everyone, I've been looking for birth, parents, and immigration information for a Leander Kotka (most likely born Sep 1861-1862, we thought in Lohtaja). I found some other names that might be useful as a backdoor into finding more about his birth/parents in Finland. Apparently, Leander was from his mother's (Kaisa) second marriage to Johan Johaninpoika - Kotkanpoika. His mother's first marriage was to Mikkola. Leander immigrated to look for his older brother Tuora Mikkola who had disappeared in the mines in Michigan. Letters sent by Leander Kotka from New York Mills, MN dating from 1898 and 1902 were found in a Juhannes Mikkola's trunk in a museum in Lohtaja. Leander Kotka was Juhannes Mikkola's uncle (half-uncle, I guess!) It sounds as if Kaisa was still alive as of 1901-1902. Other names mentioned are Birteili; as well as Matti Mikkola. I thought that perhaps with this additional information about the Mikkola family, forum folks might be able to help find Leander's parents (Johan Johaninpoika-Kotkanpoika and Kaisa (prev. Mikkola, nee unknown) and Leander's birth date and location.... I appreciate everyone's time for reading this!
Janel