PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Swedish text

Karen Douglas
13-05-10, 22:23
A friend sent me the following Scripture to read in church for Pentecost Sunday. I am not sure the words - or the translation - are correct. They will be printed in the church bulletin. I would appreciate some help! Karen

"Men der var Joder, bosiddende i Jerusalem, gudfrygtige. Maend af alle Folkeslag under Himmelen. Da denne Lyd kom, strommede Maengden sammen og blev forvirret; thi hver enkelt horte dem pa hans
eget MaL"

Now There were devout Jews from every nation under Heaven living in Jerusalem. And at this sound the crowd gathered and was bewildered because heard them speaking ln the native language of each.

The "o"'s in Joder and strommede have cross mark diagonally through them.; And the "a" in Pa and Mal have a tiny "v" above them."

eeva.hakkinen
14-05-10, 10:03
Looks more like Norwegian to me. The translation is fine, except I am not sure about the meaning of the last phrase which says: they each heard them in their own language - like was there an automatic translation going on? The translation says to me that they were hearing them speaking each in their own language (of the speaker), but then, neither my English nor my Norwegian is perfect. This must be from the Bible, could you not check how it is expressed there? Or does someone else know? Or am I misinterpreting the translation?

Kaarina
14-05-10, 13:11
Something similar to this. Maybe this is the Norwegian language. Or Danish.

"Men der var Joder, bosiddende i Jerusalem, gudfrygtige. Maend af alle Folkeslag under Himmelen. Da denne Lyd kom, strommede Maengden sammen og blev forvirret; thi hver enkelt horte dem pa hans
eget MaL"

Men det var Joder, bosättande i Jerusalem, gudfruktiga, människor av alla folkslag under himmelen. Då denna lydelse kom, strömmade människorna samman och blev förvirrade. Det var enkelt att höra dem på hans eget språk.

But it was joder, residing in Jerusalem, devout, people of all nations under heaven. When this version came, people flocked together and became confused. It was easy to hear them in his own language.

Kaarina

Hasse
14-05-10, 16:47
Something similar to this. Maybe this is the Norwegian language. Or Danish.

eget MaL"

Men det var Joder, bosättande i Jerusalem, gudfruktiga, människor av alla folkslag under himmelen. Då denna lydelse kom, strömmade människorna samman och blev förvirrade. Det var enkelt att höra dem på hans eget språk.

But it was joder, residing in Jerusalem, devout, people of all nations under heaven. When this version came, people flocked together and became confused. It was easy to hear them in his own language.

Kaarina

Seems to be from the Danish Bible. I would propose a few changes in the translation.

"Now there were Jews living in Jerusalem, devout men from every nation under heaven. When this sound was heard the crowd gathered and were bewildered; because each one of them was hearing them speak in his own language."

The snipplet is from Apostlagärningarna 2:5-6 (Acts??) and is in Danish: "Men der var Jøder, bosiddende i Jerusalem, gudfrygtige Mænd af alle Folkeslag under Himmelen. Da denne Lyd kom, strømmede Mængden sammen og blev forvirret; thi hver enkelt hørte dem tale paa hans eget Maal."

Hasse

Hasse
14-05-10, 16:52
The Swedish text is: "Nu bodde i Jerusalem fromma judiska män från allahanda folk under himmelen. Och när dånet hördes, församlade sig hela hopen, och en stor rörelse uppstod, ty var och en hörde sitt eget tungomål talas av dem."

Finnish:"Ja Jerusalemissa asui juutalaisia, jumalaapelkääväisiä miehiä, kaikkinaisista kansoista, mitä taivaan alla on. Ja kun tämä ääni kuului, niin kokoontui paljon kansaa; ja he tulivat ymmälle, sillä kukin kuuli heidän puhuvan hänen omaa kieltänsä."

Jaska Sarell
14-05-10, 18:23
From new international version (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+2&version=NIV):
Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language.

:) Jaska

Karen Douglas
14-05-10, 20:28
Eeva, Kaarina, Hasse and Jaska: Thank you so much for your help! I was almost certain that this parable was not Swedish when I read it this morning, but evidently it had been used by others for several years and credited to the Swedes. So, I decided to ask, and you confirmed my belief!

Hasse, thank you also for the changes in the translation, which makes it read better, and the correct text in Swedish and Finnish. (This Swedish is familiar to me!) And, Jaska, thank you, for the translation from the New International Version of the Bible.

Again, my heartfelt thanks to each of you for taking time from your busy day to respond to my query.

Karen :)