PDA

View Full Version : Help! Help! Help!

thomaserichunt
14-05-10, 22:03
I applied for Finnish citizenship by declaration two years ago as a Mother's Day present for my mother. I was told by the NY consulate that while I would not qualify, she would. We have just heard from them after two years, and they want passport records and any other for my great-grandfather, my great-grandmother and my grandfather.

My great-grandfather [Samuel] Peter Heikkuri was born in Teuva on 14 DEC 1874. He came to America in 1892. I cannot find a naturalization record for him. He is supposed to have changed his parish [was Teuva, changed to Evijarvi] in the "Moved out" section of the church books in 1900 or 1901. How do I get this record? How do I find out if he got married there? They are also requesting Finnish military service records, and I am completely drawing a blank? Where would I find something like that?

My great-grandmother Hilma Autio was born in Evijarvi 31 OCT 1878. Went to America in 1896. Married 1900 or 1901?

Daughter Maria Matilda born 31 JUL 1903, possibly in Finland? or Ohio.
Daughter Hulda Sophia born 16 MAR 1907 in Ohio.
Son John Peter [my grandfather] born 8 MAY 1913 in Montana.

Ellis Island records show Hilma, Maria, and Hulda arriving in New York in 1909. They are in the Aliens register, where Hilma's name is stamped as a non-immigrant alien, but her daughters' names are overwritten "US Born" as a correction. The Institute of Migration in Finland also shows that they had Finnish passports and that Hilma and Maria were also in Finland in 1903.

I do not think Hilma ever became a US citizen. I am not sure about Peter, but I have yet to find a naturalization record for him.

It gets more complicated because they further request records of my grandfather going to Finland and staying for more than 4 months from 1925 to 1935. I will try to search for a US passport for him.

Does anyone have any suggestions? They called my mother yesterday and they want it done in the next two weeks!

Thanks for any advice!

Tom

kivinen1
14-05-10, 22:56
I wonder why they are unwilling to use the Migration Institute records as proof?

Did they explain that?

thomaserichunt
15-05-10, 00:55
The liaison said, "They have access to all of that." But they don't have all the years in their databases either.

June Pelo
15-05-10, 04:06
I'd suggest you contact Jim Kurtti who is honorary Finnish Consul for the Upper Midwest. I think he has dual citizenship and perhaps he can offer some suggestions. You may mention my name if you wish.
jkurtti*chartermi.net

Lasse1951
15-05-10, 14:41
I'd suggest you contact Jim Kurtti who is honorary Finnish Consul for the Upper Midwest. I think he has dual citizenship and perhaps he can offer some suggestions. You may mention my name if you wish.
jkurtti*chartermi.net

I believe that Jim is on his way to Finland, because we should meet on monday in Helsinki.

Lasse

June Pelo
16-05-10, 00:21
Thomas,

I'm sorry that Jim is on his way to Finland. And since no one else on Finlander has any suggestions, you could post a query on Finngen - I'm sure there are people who know about dual citizenship and the requirements.

kivinen1
16-05-10, 01:05
I forwarded the original poster some contacts with e-mails and telephone numbers.

Folks that are involved with both the Migration Institute and Suomi Seura / Finland Society.

June Pelo
16-05-10, 18:55
Thomas,

I sent an e-mail to Jim Kurtti and told him about you. He said he would be glad to help, so you can write him at: jkurtti*chartermi.net

thomaserichunt
19-05-10, 20:03
Thank you all for your help! Tom

JenniferRipley
30-05-10, 15:48
Hei Tom,
For those years wouldn't the military records be Russian?
Just wondering,
Jennifer