PDA

View Full Version : Belongings of immigrants who died in the USA

Ruokoja
15-07-10, 11:51
Hello,

I have been wondering for a while what happened to the belongings such as wallet, letters from relatives from home country, clothes etc. as an immigrate passed away in the USA. Could they have been maybe stored somewhere, e.g. letters in an historical center? (and could you get a copy of them?)

kivinen1
15-07-10, 12:18
The SFHS does have archives. Sometimes they include personal items.

I am the recipient of nearly all of the old family papers photos and letters, so you can't come to my house, you might get lost in a pile of paper and boxes.

I would think that anyone with archived materials could provide a copy [maybe for a small fee].

Any particular area / person you are trying to research about?

Ruokoja
15-07-10, 12:21
The SFHS does have archives. Sometimes they include personal items.

Any particular area / person you are trying to research about?

Yes, Otto Halminen [in death certificate Holminen]. YoD 1925 Portland, OR.

kivinen1
15-07-10, 12:31
This man, or is it not the correct one?

HOLMINEN, OTTO -- Age 43, born in Finland. Died Apr. 3, 1925, Astoria, Ore. Husband of Hilma. Logging. Burial at Oceanview Cemetery.

If he is buried in Astoria, he likely didn't die in Portland, but it is possible.

Ruokoja
15-07-10, 14:09
This man, or is it not the correct one?

HOLMINEN, OTTO -- Age 43, born in Finland. Died Apr. 3, 1925, Astoria, Ore. Husband of Hilma. Logging. Burial at Oceanview Cemetery.

If he is buried in Astoria, he likely didn't die in Portland, but it is possible.

Ooops, yes Astoria, not Portland. Portland is in another research. :)

And the Otto is the man I'm doing research on. We have an own thread for him here on Finlander Forum, and someone promised to help me with obtaining the death certificate and tombstone picture (if there exist a tombstone).

kivinen1
16-07-10, 08:33
If I can get my rear-end down to Astoria, I'll do my best to try to find the grave and photograph the marker, if there is one.