PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Karen Kasper
30-09-10, 00:02
I just joined the message board and would like to tell everyone a bit about myself. I live in Ishpeming, Michigan. I have both Swede-Finn and Finnish ancestors that I am currently researching.

My Swede-Finn ancestors were my great grandmother Ida Johanna Portin, who emigrated from Pedersöre around 1910. She married my great grandfather, Anders Vilhelm Granlund, who also emigrated from Pedersöre several years earlier, along with most of his family. These two relatives are on my mother's side of the family.

On my father's side of the family, my great grandfather Israel Moilanen came from the Suomassalmi area. His wife, my great grandmother, Brita Rompasaari, came from the Rovaniemi area.

I use Ancestry.com to keep track of things and have found some distant relatives I didn't know I had. I've found relatives for the Portin and Moilanen lines, but nothing for the Rompasaari line. But I've just started searching.

I've been interested in genealogy for many years, but my father, Seth Johnson, did most of the searching. He passed away this last December and I have taken up the torch.

I want to pass along a tool that I've found to be of great use: Google Translate. I've been able to translate some information about the Portins that was written in Swedish. It does a pretty good job of translation, although I had to figure out how to type ä, å, ö.

I also have Swedish ancestors and from my maternal grandmother's side of the family comes a mixture of German, Danish, French Canadian and Welsh.

Karen Kasper

June Pelo
30-09-10, 00:48
Hi Karen, and welcome to Finlander Forum. I have Ida Portin and Anders Granlund in my database. Some of the data was given to me by Karen Johnson who is their granddaughter. Do you know Karen? She is married to Seth Johnson. I'm a third cousin to Ida Portin. I have a lot of data about both Ida and Anders - I'm also an 8th cousin to Anders Granlund. I don't have any data about your father's side.

Karen Kasper
30-09-10, 01:35
Karen Johnson is my mother. My father, Seth Johnson, passed away last December. So that means we are related too. I received a membership to Ancestry.com and have been finding plenty of relatives I never knew I had. Genealogy can be very addictive!

Karen

sune
30-09-10, 07:50
Welcome Karen!

I am happy to see that you took my advice. You will get many new friends here. And thank you for your last e-mail. I haven't had time to go in to it yet, but i will. I think we have some further information to compare.

br

Sune

June Pelo
30-09-10, 15:24
Karen Johnson is my mother. My father, Seth Johnson, passed away last December. So that means we are related too. I received a membership to Ancestry.com and have been finding plenty of relatives I never knew I had. Genealogy can be very addictive!

Karen

You have more relatives that you can imagine because Erik Ångerman Sursill was your 15th great grandfather, and you are also a cousin of Finland's national poet Johan Ludvig Runeberg. There are a lot of people on this forum who share the same ancestry.

cdahlin
30-09-10, 16:24
Hi!

It is a little bit interesting for me when you mentioned the name Anders Wilhelm Granlund from Pedersöre. I have a lot of Granlund people in my database (many of them emigrated), but not this person. Do you know his parents?

June Pelo
30-09-10, 17:36
His parents were Mårten Mårtensson Tunis-Granlund, b. 8 Apr 1851, d. 11 May 1907, married 5 Dec 1875 to Helena Gustavsdotter Björn, b. 22 Nov 1848, Lövö, d. 28 Jul 1911. Mårten's parents were from Vörå.

cdahlin
30-09-10, 20:15
Thanks June!

None of my Granlund-families.

vonriedesel
27-10-10, 02:21
Greetings from the next town over, Negaunee! I haven't posted any greeting from me when I joined the board last month, so I'll do it in a new message in this topic. If you need any help in your research, there are many members here who can help, plus I am listed on Ancestry in the Expert Connect section. If you have the chance, upload your information into the TALKO section - it sure helped me make connection regarding my wife's family history

Yours,
Mark Rogers

Kaarina
27-10-10, 08:31
Hi Karen.
Welcome to the forum. My G-Grand mother Amanda Kankku b. 1845 and Ida Portin was ninth cousins from Evijärvi Kankkonen ancestors.

Kaarina

Karen Norwillo
27-10-10, 17:38
Welcome. I'm originally from Crystal Falls.
Karen Norwillo