PDA

View Full Version : England birth record Bolton Lancashire 1874

Ingemar Ekman
18-10-10, 12:19
I am looking if it is possible to find the birth record of Spinning master Thomas Frithiof Strömborg born 23 April 1874 in Bolton Lancashire England, he died 4 Sep 1935 in Björneborg Finland. I have a suspicion that the parents were Emil Frithiof Strömborg born 10 Dec 1835 in Åbo, Finland married 1863 in Mariehamn Åland to Betsey Garstreng born 1839 in England ( belonged to the reformed church). They disappeared from Mariehamn around 1869 to unknown place.
Thank you,
Ingemar

PS
The background : I am looking for the descendants to the 37 persons that lived in Mariehamn when the the city was founded 1861.
As suggestion from Jerker Örjans and Folke Wickström is to get the descendants together for a picnic in Mariehamn in August 2011, invited by the city of Mariehamn. Emil Frithiof Strömborg moved 1861 from Åbo to Mariehamn and was married in Mariehamn to Betsey Garstreng from England. Rafael Olin sent me a photo of the gravestone of Thomas Frithiof Strömborg that died in Björneborg.
DS

Karen Norwillo
18-10-10, 15:57
This could be your family in the 1871 census of Greater Bolton, Lancashire, England. This was before Thomas was born.
The England & Wales Free Birth Index has the bith of Thomas Frithiof Stromborg volume 8C, page 386 Apr-May-Jun. Unfortunately, it doesn't give any more info. I'll check to see if the family was still in England at the next census.

Karen Norwillo
18-10-10, 16:04
Here's the family in 1881 and 1901.

Karen Norwillo
18-10-10, 16:24
Emil F Stromborg died Mar 1915 in Bolton, age 79. England & Wales Free Death Index vol 8c
Betsey was born in Sharples, Bolton, Lancashire. She died 1919, age 80, vol 8e, page 351 Jul-Aug-Sep.
Found her probate of will on Ancestry, along with all the other info and images.

Ingemar Ekman
18-10-10, 18:45
Hi Karen,
Thank you very much! If I understand the census 1881 correct they had 7 children. I hope now to find their descendants and maybe some of them also moved to Finland, their father´s home country. Strömborg is not a common surname.
Ingemar

Karen Norwillo
18-10-10, 21:27
Ingemar,
I found the births of all the children. There was also another Stromborg family in Poplar, Greater London, Middlesex area who had many children about the same time Emil and Betsey were having theirs. The only Stromborg I found on the death index that matched were Emil and Betsey.
From Birth Index
Olga Magdalen 1863
Sara Ann 1865
Alma Louisa 1868
Ida Matilda 1871
Thomas Frithiof 1874
Percival 1876
Carl Herbert E 1879
Look at the 1901 census, below the Stromborgs is a family with wife's name of Sara Ann. Could be their daughter???

Ingemar Ekman
19-10-10, 09:28
Thank you Karen!
Yes, it looks that Sarah Ann is the same person, She was a teacher in census 1881 as well. I was informed now that also Emil Frithiof´s older brother Edgar Justus Elion Strömborg moved to England. Best regards Ingemar

Karen Norwillo
19-10-10, 16:41
Then the other Stromborg births I found were probably his. I remember one of the names was Justus. Do you want those names?
Children of George and Sara Ann, two for certain, George Herbert Meredith 1891 Ap-May-Jun Bolton 8c 503 and Ida Vere 1894 A-M-J Bolton 8c 477.
There are several others that could be theirs, born Bolton right timeframe.
Alfred 1895, Frank 1897, Gertrude 1898 and Ernest 1899. Unfortunatly cannot be sure on these. Meredith is a fairly common surname.

Ingemar Ekman
19-10-10, 17:50
Thank you Karen for the two grandchildrens name! I do not need the other brother´s (Edgar Justus Elion Strömborg) family, but probably I will soon ask questions about other emigrants from Mariehamn to USA. Best regards Ingemar

Tracy
21-10-10, 04:55
Hi Ingemar I found this information on beta.familysearch.org

Name Thomas Frithiof Stromborg
Baptism/Christening Date 14 Jun 1874
Baptism/Christening Place Bolton, Lancashire, England
Father's Name Ernest Frithiof Stromborg
Mother's Name Becky Stromborg

Name Percival Stromborg
Baptism/Christening Date 10 Jan 1877
Father's Name Emil Frithiof Stromborg
Mother's Name Betsy Stromborg

Name Henry Stromborg
Baptism/Christening Date 10 Jan 1877

Name Alma Louisa Stromborg
Gender Female
Baptism/Christening Date 16 Sep 1868
Baptism/Christening Place St. Georges, Bolton-le-Moors, Lancashire, England

Name Carl Herbert Edgar Stromborg
Gender Male
Baptism/Christening Date 02 Jul 1879

Groom's Name James Greenhalgh
Groom's Birth Date 1864
Groom's Birthplace
Groom's Age 24
Bride's Name Olga Magdalena Stromborg
Bride's Birth Date 1864
Bride's Birthplace
Bride's Age 24
Marriage Date 22 Aug 1888
Marriage Place Bolton, Lancashire, England
Groom's Father's Name Wiliam Greenhalgh
Groom's Mother's Name
Bride's Father's Name Emil Frithiof Stromborg

Groom's Name Fred Bradley
Groom's Birth Date 1872
Groom's Birthplace
Groom's Age 24
Bride's Name Ida Matilda Stromborg
Bride's Birth Date 1871
Bride's Birthplace
Bride's Age 25
Marriage Date 30 Sep 1896
Marriage Place Bolton, Lancashire, England
Groom's Father's Name James Bradley
Groom's Mother's Name
Bride's Father's Name Emil Frithiof Stromborg

Tracy
21-10-10, 05:00
there was aslo this one
Given Name Charles Frithiof
Surname Stromberg
Last Place of Residence United States Coast Guard
Date of Arrival 04 Aug 1918
Age at Arrival 42y
Ethnicity
Port of Departure Gibraltar
Port of Arrival New York
Gender Male
Marital Status S
US Citizen X
Ship of Travel Giuseppe Verdi

Ingemar Ekman
21-10-10, 11:24
Thank you very much Tracy for the birth dates and marriage dates of the Stromborg family! Regarding Charles Frithiof Stromberg I suppose it is another family. Best regards, Ingemar

Ingemar Ekman
01-11-10, 19:57
Sally at the Bolton Mailing List posted this information:
Further to the records on Carl Stromborg: Draft Card: 1917-1918 Name: Carl Herbert Stromborg City: Minneapolis County: Hennepin State: Minnesota Birth Date: 16 May 1879 Race: White FHL Roll Number: 1675615 DraftBoard: 4 Permanent Address: 2 South 11th Street, Minneapolis Occupation: ToolMaker - Steel Machinery Co
Nearest relative - Anna Meredith, 107 Hamden Street, Bolton, Lancashire

1930 census on Merchant Seaman Name: Carl H E Stromborg Age: 50 Estimated birth year: abt 1880 Birthplace: England Race: White Port in 1930: San Francisco, San Mateo, California Page: 46A Ship Name: J D Peters He is single. Naturalized. Occupation of Bartender. Next of Kin address in Manchester.

California Death Index Name: Carl B Stromborg Social Security #: 472095474 Sex: Male Birth Date: 16 May 1879 Birthplace: Other Country
Death Date: 23 Apr 1948 Death Place: San Francisco
Father's Surname: Stromborg
------
Is there any further information about his family in USA?
Thank you,
Ingemar