PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Sandstrom/Saastamoinen

Colleen
22-10-10, 02:47
I am trying very hard to help with my brother in laws family history. I believe their last name was Saastamoinen in Finland and changed it to Sandstrom after he immigrated to Minnesota. [Herman b. 1867]
Can anyone help we with finding where they came from? I was told they are the dark poor finlanders by one of the borders. I honestly have no clue to where that would be!
Thanks in advance!
Colleen

Ritva Winter
22-10-10, 10:01
I am trying very hard to help with my brother in laws family history. I believe their last name was Saastamoinen in Finland and changed it to Sandstrom after he immigrated to Minnesota. [Herman b. 1867]
Can anyone help we with finding where they came from? I was told they are the dark poor finlanders by one of the borders. I honestly have no clue to where that would be!
Thanks in advance!
Colleen

I found a possible Herman, born 1868-01-30 at Kalliojärvi, farm No 3, Kiuruvesi.
Parents: Farmer Herman Saastamoinen and Albertina Räty, aged 28

Herman and Albertina had altogether 9 children, of which several died very young,

Kiuruvesi is found to the north, SW of Kajaani, NW of Kuopio, in the middle of the country, not at the border.

Good Luck!

Colleen
22-10-10, 16:36
I found a possible Herman, born 1868-01-30 at Kalliojärvi, farm No 3, Kiuruvesi.
Parents: Farmer Herman Saastamoinen and Albertina Räty, aged 28

Herman and Albertina had altogether 9 children, of which several died very young,

Kiuruvesi is found to the north, SW of Kajaani, NW of Kuopio, in the middle of the country, not at the border.

Good Luck!

Hi Ritva! Thank you! I found that one also, but found it was not on the border!
Thanks again!
Colleen

kivinen1
23-10-10, 09:25
Hi Ritva! Thank you! I found that one also, but found it was not on the border!
Thanks again!
Colleen

Colleen,

Where did you see a reference to "border" in your family notes?

Kiuruvesi is "on the border" of a political divide in Finland... maybe they were referring to that? Like a county next to another county.

Colleen
25-10-10, 21:52
Colleen,

Where did you see a reference to "border" in your family notes?

Kiuruvesi is "on the border" of a political divide in Finland... maybe they were referring to that? Like a county next to another county.

Hi Ilmari,

This is my brother in laws family, I am just going off what he has told me. He was told they came from the poor, dark skinned part of Finland by the border. Not sure which border this would be, and I guess that could be any border in Finland! :)