PDA

View Full Version : Passengers list from Halifax, Nova Scotia

christina
27-10-10, 10:43
Hi
My grandmothers father Johan E. Heikfolk from Jeppo left Finland 7.3.1896 going to Biwabic MN. I have found him leaving Hangö with the ship Urania, from England to Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada with the ship Numidian. After that I don´t know nothing about his life , only that he died the next year 10.11.1897 somewere in America.
He travelled with a friend Thomas Lindström.
Hälsningar
Christina Nordback

KeeperOfLowKeys
28-10-10, 00:58
Greetings Christina-

Enclosed is the arrival form of the Numidian at Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada on 23 March 1896. This was a fairly common port used by immigrants to the mid-western United States. Johan is the third entry from the bottom, showing that he was going to meet a brother, Matt. The closest record I can find at HisKi is this possible birth, based on the age from his immigration record: http://hiski.genealogia.fi/hiski?en+t5438277

christina
28-10-10, 15:45
Thank you for the manifest. I have his birth b. 12 febr. 1854 in Purmo, Åvist, when he left Finland he was living in Jeppo on Heikfolk homestead, for that reason he used the surname Heikfolk.
I would like to know what happened between his arriving in Halifax 23 march 1896 and his dead 10 november 1897 somewere in America. Who sent the information about his dead to Jeppo parish? Is there any databases where you can found that.
Hälsningar
Christina

KeeperOfLowKeys
28-10-10, 17:48
Hey Christina-
I have been unable to find any records after he entered the United States. The state-wide death index for Minnesota only goes back to 1904, and the index for St. Louis County (where Biwabik is located) didn't have any deaths matching the name or the death date. Do you know if Johan went by any other names? At this point, I'm out of places to search.
-Craig

P.S. Also found his entry into Canada - see attached.

christina
28-10-10, 19:50
Thank you for his entry.
I can think he could have changed his name to Ericsson, Erickson, Ericksson or Åvist, Ovist.

Christina

kivinen1
29-10-10, 06:36
I got all excited to find a Johan Heikfolk naturalizing papers in the Washington Digital Archives.

Unfortunately, he isn't the right man. He was born in 1895 in Jeppo, Finland, and immigrated in 1913. Later, it seems, he used Mattson. :(

christina
29-10-10, 08:29
Thanks Ilmari and Craig for trying to help me.
Christina

kivinen1
29-10-10, 10:03
The wrong man was last in Canada too, in B.C., before he came to Washington.

At least he is from the same area and likely same farm.

Maybe there are clues to look to British Columbia, Canada in this anyway.