PDA

View Full Version : Vorne

June Pelo
11-11-10, 18:40
I have a request from Finland for help as follows. Can anyone find anything out of this which could help him?

My wife Sirpa started reaserching her fathers family roots in Karelia, her father Aarne Vorne was evacuated from Karelia Suojärvi village Leppäniemi when the winterwar started.

Last summer we visited this Suojärvi now in Russia and could find the places where there houses were located. This inspired us to futher reasearch of the Vorne familys history. Now we are trying to find Aarnes fathers,Armas Vorne, brother Pekka Vorne. Pekka Vorne left Finland from Kaukola.

We do not know exactly when but he arrived to U.S. in 1912 after beeing involved in a fight at a wedding, somebody was killed ( not knowing this for sure) in this fight and we have been told Pekka was affraid of beeing accused for this therefore left Finland that same night. From Ellis Island database we found one Pavlos Vorne no Pekka Vorne, we are sure this is Pekka who changed his name to Pavlos Vorne and traveled from Greece to Amerika. Pekkas wife Katri Haikonen now Katri Worne her daughter Lydia and sister Maria Haikonen traveled at the same time as Pekka to Amerika.
In the manifest we can see Pekka changed also Katris name to Ceatherine. Pekka/Pavlos is stating he is traveling to Ohio Lima, this is about all we know so far, we can not find info about Katri/Lydia and Maria entering U.S. and were they went. We foun that they changed their names again later now Peter Warne and Lydia Warne.

Karen Norwillo
12-11-10, 02:47
June,
I found the Warne family on the 1916 Canada census in Alberta, along with Maria Haikonen. I can't find them after that. Don't find a crossing into US from Canada.

Denise
12-11-10, 03:06
Hi,
From the Institute of Migration found the following records.

Best Regards,
Denise

Detailed passenger information
Last name Worne
First names Katri
Age or age group 29
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Edmonton
State of destination AB
Country of destination CDN
Price of ticket FIM 282
Ship from Finland Urania
Date of departure from Finland 27.04.1912
Ship from England Teutonic
Date of departure from England 04.05.1912
Ocean Line W.Star/Dominion
Port of departure in England *
List and page 86/11
Remarks Mk Lydia Worne.

Detailed passenger information
Last name Worne
First names Lydia
Age or age group 8
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Edmonton
State of destination AB
Country of destination CDN
Price of ticket FIM 282
Ship from Finland Urania
Date of departure from Finland 27.04.1912
Ship from England Teutonic
Date of departure from England 04.05.1912
Ocean Line W.Star/Dominion
Port of departure in England *
List and page 86/11
Remarks Mk Katri Worne.

Denise
12-11-10, 03:19
Hi,
If you use the Canadian Archives and Library website you will find the Teutonic.
There are 50 pages in this manifest to search through to find your Worne family.
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/passenger/001045-100.01-e.php This is the database to search ships... and the next link is the manifest for the Teutonic. On the second link, click on VIEW IMAGES.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/passenger/001045-119.01-e.php?&sisn_id_nbr=5875&interval=20&&PHPSESSID=hg44jtakqf7gstg6kn4oqef9g7

Best Regards,
Denise

Karen Norwillo
12-11-10, 17:08
On LDS Family Search:
Lydia Mary Warne 2 Aug 1903 Kaukola, Finland
father Pekka Warne, mother Katri Haikonen
spouse Leon E Ellis married 28 Dec 1925, doesn't say where
says she died 9 Dec 2001, doesn't say where
Found lots of Leon E Ellis in the US, one in NV married to a Mary L, but it says she was born NV.
From Hiski Kaukola
2.8.1903 Kaukola 14 Pekka Vorne and Katri Haikonen..Lydia Maria
16.11.1902 Liinamaa, Pekka Antinpk Vorna and Katri Pärtynt Haikonen, Kaukola 14..married
16.12.1900 Liinamaa 3 Antti Vorne and Anna Kosonen 39...Armas
7.7.1880 Kaukola 14, Bertil Thomasson Haikonen and Karin Mattsdr Niukkanen 36...Karin

June Pelo
12-11-10, 17:24
Karen and Denise,

Thanks for all that info. I'll send it off to Finland right away. I tried to find something for him, but didn't have any luck.

Karen Norwillo
12-11-10, 22:01
June,
They didn't arrive on the Teutonic. I found their 1912 arrival on Ancestry on the Cedric. They were going to, looks like British Columbia. Maria is there, too. Note top left, says "thru to Canada" There is also a Kesseli above Katri that says he's going to friend Pekka Worne.
Karen

June Pelo
12-11-10, 22:40
Thanks, Karen. I'll send it on. Looks like the place is Filybush or something like that.

June

June Pelo
13-11-10, 01:58
I have this reply from Finland in response to all the data I sent to them.

We have been studying those manifests and think that Pekka Vorne changed his name his wife name as well, we think he was affraid for what had happened in Kaukola at a wedding and left Finland that same night. Ceatherine could be Greek for Finnish name Katri.
Katris maiden name was Haikonen, and she travelled together with her daughter Lydia, sister Maria and Emil Kesseli a friend from Kaukola.
We have found that Lydia was married in Canada Welland to a William James Fisher and later to a Leon E Ellis.Also we know Lydia died dec. 2001, dont know where. We know Pekka who changed his his name to Warne died 1931 but we do not know where.
We do not know if Katri and Pekka did have other children in Canada. We are trying to find Lydias children from marrige with Fisher or Ellis.
Could not find anything so far about when and where Katri or Maria Died. To know what happened to Emil Kesseli may help to find out about Katri and Pekkas life. Katri and Maria did have a halfsister, Iida Haikonen, born 1904.

Karen Norwillo
13-11-10, 02:56
June,
Something very odd about all this. I found a marriage in Niagra Falls, Welland, Canada for a William James Fisher and Lydia Warne in 1926, but the info given for parents and place of birth are all wrong. Says parents name Hess and that she was born in East Stroudsburg, PA, which isn't too far from me. Says at time of marriage she lived in Binghamton, NY, which isn't that far from E.Stroudsburg. Here's the image, but I'm really confused.

June Pelo
13-11-10, 17:43
Karen,

It looks like they are trying to do some searching from Finland and are assuming that anyone named Vorne or Warne are part of their family. I wrote to them and asked where they found their info. about this marriage.

Karen Norwillo
13-11-10, 20:53
I'm wondering why Lydia, listed as a spinster, has a surname different from her parents. Doesn't spinster denote she was never married? Why isn't her surname Hess? Just wondering.

June Pelo
13-11-10, 21:06
Good question. I'll ask them about it.

June Pelo
14-11-10, 01:34
The family in Finland agrees that the Lydia married to Fisher is not their Lydia. And then they wrote:

We are sure Pavlos Vorne is our Pekka Vorne, from Finland he traveled to Greece and onwards to U.S as Pavlos Vorne.
Katri & Co traveled only one week later. How to find out where Pekka and Katri are burried, did Lydia have children and where?

Karen Norwillo
14-11-10, 04:32
June,
Look at the manifest for Pavlos Vorne. I think the family is reading the wrong line as to his wife's name. The Ecatarina belongs to the person listed under him.

June Pelo
14-11-10, 05:06
I think you're right, Karen. And his wife's name wasn't Elenise, or whatever it says, going to Chicago. I think they are on the wrong track. Why would a man from Finland go to Greece before coming to the US? If we knew when and where he came over, that might clear things up, wouldn't it? He seems to have left Finland before 1912. As I recall, his wife, daughter and sister-in-law came together in 1912 on their way to join him in Canada. I think they are trying to use free Ancestry searches and picking up the wrong names. I'll try to set them straight once again. I thought I had convinced them they were on the wrong track, but I haven't succeeded.

Karen Norwillo
14-11-10, 17:07
I agree. I don't think that Pavlos is the correct man. I can't imagine how he would have gotten to Greece. I've been trying to find that place in BC with no luck. Nothing that even closely resmbles Tily or Filybush. I've tried every variation I could find. Since Katri travelled under her correct name, I don't think she was trying to hide anything; plus, she gave her correct husband's name.

June Pelo
14-11-10, 18:15
Karen, I mentioned Flybush to a friend and he said he found it near Edmonton. I don't have a good map of Canada. Maybe there's one online...

June Pelo
14-11-10, 21:27
Karen,

I found it. Flybush is very near Vancouver. Go to Google.com and click on the Maps link. In the little pane, type Flybush, British Columbia; then click on Search Maps. It's quite close to Seattle. You'll read how it came to be called Flybush..