PDA

View Full Version : Alfred Backlund

Leo Furu
05-01-04, 23:59
Hi,
In SFHS collection I find the article "Swedish Finns in Coal Creek, Washington" and there was a mention:
"Alfred Backlund from Esse, who worked in Coal Creek at that time with the exception of a few short periods, has written down by memory the names and birthplaces for over 300 Swedish Finns, including 40 married women who were in Coal Creek at some point. "
I think this Alfred Backlund was my grandmothers brother b. 11 sep 1899.
Does anyone know anything more about him and his family?
My uncle Holger thougth that he never visited Finland.
I know he had a wife Alina and two boys Evald and Roy.

Leo

syrene
06-01-04, 04:37
Hi,
It looks like Alfred Backlund and family lived in Newcastle when the 1920 census was taken. At that time only Alfred Ernest and Evald W. were born. Alfred is a miner in the coal mines. They are living at 317 Red Town Street. Newcastle was originally called Red Town, then called Coal Creek and finally Newcastle, as I understand. By the way, Alina's father is listed as born in Sweden.
In the 1930 census, Roy C. has been born, and the family has moved to 3311 20th Avenue South in Seattle, where Alfred works as a longshoreman unloading and loading steamships.The social security death index lists Alfred as dying 31 July 1965 in Seattle, King county, Washington state. I haven't found any record of his death in the Order of Runeberg obituaries.

I would like to phone Gertrude Glad who grew up in Newcastle, and see if she remembers any of the family. She has donated a snapshot to SFHS of a home in Red Town as well.
Regards,
Syrene

Leo Furu
06-01-04, 11:41
Thanks Syrene!
In Talko I find that Alfred married Alina Johansdotter Värnå-Forsbacka b. 25 aug 1884.
Alfred was born 11 sep 1889 not 1899 as I wrote before.

Leo

Leo Furu
08-01-04, 19:00
I got Anders Myhrman's Emigrantbiografier from Vasa Library.
There has Alfred Backlund wrote about his life:)

Leo