PDA

View Full Version : Ingermanland

kpaavola
06-01-04, 04:17
I have an ancestor who I'm told was from Ingermanland. I'd like to learn more about it. I've done some initial searching on the Internet but wondered if anyone knew of good sources for obtaining more information.

Also, is Inkeri the same as Ingermanland?

Thanks for any suggestions!

granskare
06-01-04, 07:20
Hi Kevin,
My Scott stamp catalogue gives this about the territory:
It's located in northern Russia lying between the Neva River and Finland. The capital is Kirjasalo. In 1920 the residents of this territory revolted from Russian rule and set up a provisional government. The new state existed only a short period as the revolution was quickly quelled by Soviet troops.
Checking the illustration of a page from my stamp album, you will immediately notice a family resemblance between the first Finnish Republic stamps and the first of this entity.
btw: many many counterfeits of these stamps exist so beware!
Hmm, my posting of the image went awry so here it is on my own website:
http://www.netexpress.net/~cmaki/inkeri/pinkeri.jpg
And an Estonian page about the place: http://www.eki.ee/books/redbook/ingrians.shtml
Chuck

sune
06-01-04, 16:50
Ingermanland is the area in Russia which lays around St Petersburg. When Sweden got hold of the area in the beginning of the 17:th century a lot of Swedes and Finns settled there.
The area was a part of the Swedish empire until the Great Nordic War when king Carl XII started his war in northern Europe.

After his defeat in Poltava in Ukraine the area along with the whole of Finland was open for pillage by Russian troops. Ingermanland beeing nominally Swedish soil was taken by czar Peter the Great and he built St Petersburg there. After the peace treaty signet in 1721 the area along with parts of eastern Finland belonged to Russia.

The Swedish and Finnish population stayed put and kept their language and religion (Lutheran).

During WWII many of them joined the Finnish army. After the the war many of them were sent back to the Sovjet Union, because the peace treaty said so. Some were executed, many more deported to labour camps in Siberia where most of them died. Some were able to flee to Sweden from Finland.

Since the beginning of the 1990-s Finland have given the Ingermanlanders the status of returning migrants and they have automaticly attained Finnish citizenship. Most of the returners have been old people and most of the younger ones have lost their Finnish or Swedish language.

There is still a Lutheran church in Ingermanland and I have read somwhere that there is an old peoples home financed by contributions from Finland.

Sune

kpaavola
07-01-04, 03:32
Thanks Chuck and Sune!

I thought I read once where the "people" of Ingermanland were nearly "extinct". They either blended into the rest of the area or were in such small numbers that it was bound to happen eventually. I seem to recall that they maintained their own culture though, despite it all.

Interesting! :)

Gunnar Damström
07-01-04, 05:07
In English its called Ingria. Go to Google, insert Ingria and you get a bunch of hits. Here is one pretty good web site: http://helmer.aksis.uib.no/Ingrisk/western.html

Gunnar

kpaavola
08-01-04, 15:26
Thanks, Gunnar! Another good link!